OHL Commissioner David Branch will retire after the 2023-24 season

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This is something that is a bit of a bittersweet scenario.

On one hand I believe that this was a long time coming for the OHL. Mr. Branch's health concerns probably made the decision seem to be a shorter term idea then anything else. As for his replacement I'm sure the OHL has a short list of people who they feel are capable candidates to replace him after this season.

The board of Governors have meetings annually every summer on how to improve the league and staff changes so I'm positive that this decision will be or has been made already that will be announced by the 2024 off-season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know a lot of people crap on Dave Branch. I am of the opposing viewpoint. I feel he really had a tough ride navigating the head injury issue. A lot of people gloss over how painfully difficult this issue has become in sports in general. Trying to appease institutions like insurance companies while easing the concerns of parents and ethically making the sport safer was really difficult. Many very difficult decisions needed to be made. I feel the decisions made and the resulting league has benefitted greatly from Dave Branch’s leadership.

Has the league changed a lot over time? Absolutely. But, it needed to. Players are bigger, stronger, and faster. No more clown shows out there with useless fighting nonsense. No more staged fights. Would I like to see the allowable fights raised from 3? Yes. But I understand why it is what it is and I’ve grown to accept that.

The USHL and NCAA have become tremendously strong. The OHL and CHL LEague in general have had to navigate that. They’ve had to maintain strong levels of compensation with respect to education packages for after hockey as well as maintain a league that is touted as a league of student athletes With a strong emphasis on “student.” The old days of dumb hockey players is gone. Most of these kids are very bright and well prepared for life after hockey. And, really, that is what is most important.

Then considering all the more recent issues with hazing and trying to eliminate that sort of thing from the sport. Changing the culture is difficult. For the most part it has been relatively positive. Clearly some issues but that trend seems to follow most every sport. The old days of “boys will be boys” is no longer an acceptable attitude. We could argue something could have and should have been done sooner but I know there has been education on these topics for the players for decades.

Franchise values in the OHL have gone through the roof. I remember in 1999 when Jeff Hunt bought the 67’s for $5mil and that was an outrageous sum at the time. Now you can’t buy a team for $20mil in most cases. The profile of the league has grown tremendously. Branch has had a large role in that.

Considering all the roadblocks and issues over the last few decades, overall I think Dave Branch has done a tremendous job. I truly believe he should get consideration for the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Builders category.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Body contact has a relevant purpose within the context of the sport, which is to separate the opposing player from the puck. I don't see how that can be compared to a bunch of drunk adults cheering while children punch each other in the face lol. You can argue that fighting is "policing" the game until you're blue in the face but I don't agree, that's why there are refs.

I appreciate that "game management" and tit for tat penalty calls are brutal, and the consistency just isn't there but that's a reffing problem that can only be solved by better reffing standards. Sending in another player to fight after and opposing player injures one of your team mates only opens up a 2nd player to injury.

It's a tired, old school argument that doesn't hold any weight. We know too much about concussions at this point to endorse children punching each other in the face. Just admit you like to watch children fist fight and move on.

That would be very greasy but also not unexpected from the old boys club.
Well put. I too think it does very little to "police" the game.
Cheap shots have always happened. Look at the 70s 80s 90s. Fighting or fear of it did nothing stop it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well put. I too think it does very little to "police" the game.
Cheap shots have always happened. Look at the 70s 80s 90s. Fighting or fear of it did nothing stop it.

I’m ok with adults in pro leagues making the choice to participate in those types of shenanigans. In the NHL you need to allow the star players to be star players so I understand the need to at least have the threat of violence even if it doesn’t happen much. Let’s face it, the fighting in the NHL is way down too. It seems like the threat of a punch in the face is enough to keep most players on the straight and narrow when it comes to roughing up the star players. That’s good enough for me. With Reeves simply on the bench for the Leafs this year, we’ll see if Matthews endures the same sort of punishment from the opposition.

But at the junior level, I really don’t see a significant enough need for it. They dole out lengthy suspensions for dumb dumb hits and infractions. That has done a lot to reduce preventable injury. Bad luck injuries will always be a part of the game and they will happen on nothing plays. It is what it is.

There also isn’t much in the way of relentless physicality at the Major Junior level either. Very few big players now, or at least not mature bodies laying punishment consistently. There is less of a need to “protect star players” at the Major Junior level. So even that excuse is mostly irrelevant.

With the exception of a random player on the ice at the time of a brutal hit going after the hitter, I really see no reason to fight anymore. Those instances are so rare now that it reduces total fights per team per season to less than about 12 or so. 12 fighting majors per team per season on average is an acceptable level. I think the players now are starting to shy away from it for the most part. I think culturally it is changing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There were times where I wasn't the biggest fan of Branch but he's done wonders for the league, as a whole. He wanted to make it the best place for junior-aged players in the world and he's done an admirable job. Sure, there are things I wish he hadn't done at the time (ie. the current fight rule), but those are few-and-far between. He's always come across as a passionate guy, too, and I've never had a bad run-in with him.

As far as the culture of fighting changing - absolutely it is. The days of having true enforcers are long gone, at least at the junior level. That said, until the OHL can find some consistency with its officiating (and that seems to be a universally accepted opinion), you're going to have fighting, or potential fights. There are situations where players have to react and, not only do they need the official to make the right call, they need them to make one at all. In a split second, that's not a decision everyone can make, so off come the gloves. Perhaps that means additional penalties, even without an instigator added on, such as 5+10 regardless of the situation, I don't know.

Reactions: Roadhog and HF92

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the you will always see fights in hockey despite the rules put in place to curtail the issue. Young players in the OHL are full of piss and vinegar. Some players have that edge to their games and purposely try to get under their opponents skins. They target the top players or goaltender on the opposing squad and this eventually will lead to a fight. Most fans still applaud their player in the fight win or lose. The day of the so called "Goon" sitting on the bench waiting for a tap on the shoulder is gone. Players are a detriment if they can't contribute to the play now. This has improved the game. When you watch the NHL play offs and the intent to injure players and take no prisoners it is a massively different game than what we see in the OHL. Still see fights in pro just not as many. Power plays are more important for teams wanting to make the play offs and win championships. Many times fans are looking for some sort of justice for a dirty hit and it only comes in the form of a penalty. In saying this I think Branch has done a great job putting the fighting rules in place in junior hockey. It has improved the game we see on the ice. Wouldn't be surprised to see more restrictions in the future.

Reactions: rve24

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the you will always see fights in hockey despite the rules put in place to curtail the issue. Young players in the OHL are full of piss and vinegar. Some players have that edge to their games and purposely try to get under their opponents skins. They target the top players or goaltender on the opposing squad and this eventually will lead to a fight. Most fans still applaud their player in the fight win or lose. The day of the so called "Goon" sitting on the bench waiting for a tap on the shoulder is gone. Players are a detriment if they can't contribute to the play now. This has improved the game. When you watch the NHL play offs and the intent to injure players and take no prisoners it is a massively different game than what we see in the OHL. Still see fights in pro just not as many. Power plays are more important for teams wanting to make the play offs and win championships. Many times fans are looking for some sort of justice for a dirty hit and it only comes in the form of a penalty. In saying this I think Branch has done a great job putting the fighting rules in place in junior hockey. It has improved the game we see on the ice. Wouldn't be surprised to see more restrictions in the future.

At some point a fighting major will lead to a Game Misconduct. Multiple Game Misconducts will lead to suspensions. It is inevitable. I think the NHL will end up there as well but not anywhere near the short term. Probably a generation away from those changes at the NHL Level. I really think the kids being born over the next 5-10 years will likely not know what fighting in hockey is or the role it played in the game.

Reactions: bobber

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Might be a good time for him to step in and get things figured out in Niagara....What a goongshow. Every team should be calling them for trades. Another steal for the Knights. They have no direction and keep losing future assets

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Might be a good time for him to step in and get things figured out in Niagara....What a goongshow. Every team should be calling them for trades. Another steal for the Knights. They have no direction and keep losing future assets
The OHL should have taken over the management of Niagara when they announced their sanctions against them earlier this year just like they did in Flint when they had their issues a few years back

Reactions: ColtsNLeafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad