OHL Commissioner David Branch will retire after the 2023-24 season

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Wonder if there's any chance we see the fighting rules relaxed once he's gone...he was a big advocate against cutting down the number of fights and he's been successful. I'd like to see the number go up to 5 which may not seem like much but I think it would help the game. Still too many cheap shots and dirty hits out there. We've got Zayne Parekh in Saginaw who's a fantastic player but he's got the cheapo's in him and if players had a couple more fights available, they might straighten him out which I honestly think would help his game.

Reactions: HF92

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wonder if there's any chance we see the fighting rules relaxed once he's gone...he was a big advocate against cutting down the number of fights and he's been successful. I'd like to see the number go up to 5 which may not seem like much but I think it would help the game. Still too many cheap shots and dirty hits out there. We've got Zayne Parekh in Saginaw who's a fantastic player but he's got the cheapo's in him and if players had a couple more fights available, they might straighten him out which I honestly think would help his game.
It’s been long enough that I don’t think it matters. It’s just not part of anyone’s game anymore. They could have no limits and I don’t think we’d see more fighting. It’s not a skill that gets you into the NHL anymore (for the most part).

Reactions: ZinErie and HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
It’s been long enough that I don’t think it matters. It’s just not part of anyone’s game anymore. They could have no limits and I don’t think we’d see more fighting. It’s not a skill that gets you into the NHL anymore (for the most part).

I know OHL players that are in boxing classes during the Off-season, so I beg to differ that it's not part of anyones game but I will agree I doubt we see a change. I'd like to see the rule tinkered a bit though. I disagree with being punished for defending your teammate after a dirty hit

And I also do agree that removing limit wouldn't add more fights, or add the "fighter role" back but I think having the limit just enables more dirty hits/actions to happen without consequences.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Almost certainly not.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I know OHL players that are in boxing classes during the Off-season, so I beg to differ that it's not part of anyones game but I will agree I doubt we see a change. I'd like to see the rule tinkered a bit though. I disagree with being punished for defending your teammate after a dirty hit

And I also do agree that removing limit wouldn't add more fights, or add the "fighter role" back but I think having the limit just enables more dirty hits/actions to happen without consequences.
Boxing also good for cardio because you’re always moving. Fighting still isn’t a key skill.

Edit: to get back on track, Anyone have any ideas of who might be on the short list for replacement?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Boxing also good for cardio because you’re always moving. Fighting still isn’t a key skill.

Edit: to get back on track, Anyone have any ideas of who might be on the short list for replacement?

its cardio, confidence, many things.

lets hope not barclay lol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’d actually be ok with tacking on a delay of game to the instigator for starting a fight because a teammate got hit hard. Not automatic though, if the hit is called as a major penalty, the delay of game is not assessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Maybe Joe Birch, if he is interested.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
he should have been ousted after all the hazing scandals came to light imo. a fresh perspective will greatly benefit the ohl.

i support mandatory suspensions for fighting. not a popular opinion but I'm not a fan of grown ass adults applauding while children fist fight.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
he should have been ousted after all the hazing scandals came to light imo. a fresh perspective will greatly benefit the ohl.

i support mandatory suspensions for fighting. not a popular opinion but I'm not a fan of grown ass adults applauding while children fist fight.
So am I allowed to cheer for big hits on the boards or big (clean) open ice hits? Let me make my stance clear, I do not want to go back to buckets off, staged fights like we used to have, those were garbage and it's not part of the game. What this league does have is 20yo player playing against 16yo players and sometimes, those older players take runs at the star 16yo players who are much smaller. If there's not an accountability system built into the game where that older player has to answer for that act, we rely completely on the referees and we all know how well that goes.

This isn't football where you can run out of bounds or go down to avoid contact...this is a sport where every player is holding a potential weapon and they have solid (not padded) walls that players get checked in to at full speed. Fighting IS a part of this sport and if managed correctly, it can take some of the pressure off of the referees who are trying their best but just can't see everything in such a fast paced game.

Sorry for the hijack onto fighting but that's been a major part of Branch's tenure over the last 5-10 years so I do think it's relevant.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
So am I allowed to cheer for big hits on the boards or big (clean) open ice hits? Let me make my stance clear, I do not want to go back to buckets off, staged fights like we used to have, those were garbage and it's not part of the game. What this league does have is 20yo player playing against 16yo players and sometimes, those older players take runs at the star 16yo players who are much smaller. If there's not an accountability system built into the game where that older player has to answer for that act, we rely completely on the referees and we all know how well that goes.

This isn't football where you can run out of bounds or go down to avoid contact...this is a sport where every player is holding a potential weapon and they have solid (not padded) walls that players get checked in to at full speed. Fighting IS a part of this sport and if managed correctly, it can take some of the pressure off of the referees who are trying their best but just can't see everything in such a fast paced game.

Sorry for the hijack onto fighting but that's been a major part of Branch's tenure over the last 5-10 years so I do think it's relevant.
Body contact has a relevant purpose within the context of the sport, which is to separate the opposing player from the puck. I don't see how that can be compared to a bunch of drunk adults cheering while children punch each other in the face lol. You can argue that fighting is "policing" the game until you're blue in the face but I don't agree, that's why there are refs.

I appreciate that "game management" and tit for tat penalty calls are brutal, and the consistency just isn't there but that's a reffing problem that can only be solved by better reffing standards. Sending in another player to fight after and opposing player injures one of your team mates only opens up a 2nd player to injury.

It's a tired, old school argument that doesn't hold any weight. We know too much about concussions at this point to endorse children punching each other in the face. Just admit you like to watch children fist fight and move on.

Where is Barclay Branch these days? Any chance they keep it in the family? :eek3:

That would be very greasy but also not unexpected from the old boys club.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Re: fighting, I also don't buy the age old claim that dirty stick work has increased because the fighting has decreased. Unless someone can provide statistical data that supports this claim I'll continue to call shenanigans
Exactly. The argument seems to be that fighting is needed because refs don't do their jobs...

So instead of disciplining the initial infractions we offset that by committing more infractions... and the argument is that this makes hockey safer? It's total shenanigans!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's kind of the never-ending debate where you'll never have an answer that satisfies everyone. The league did a solid job in getting rid of the pure staged fights. If there's a legit reason to go, they'll find a way during the play in the game. The rest of it is kind of a toss-up that has no definitive answer, esp when you combine the way the game is played, the design of the game, and human emotion.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Exactly. The argument seems to be that fighting is needed because refs don't do their jobs...

So instead of disciplining the initial infractions we offset that by committing more infractions... and the argument is that this makes hockey safer? It's total shenanigans!
A lot of the fights are started because a team mate got hit hard going across the grain with his head down.
Maybe, a 2 min instigating minor is insufficient. Tack on another 2 min delay of game to see if that curbs kids punching each other to the head. Hitting needs to remain in the game. Hitting and receiving hits are skills that needs to be coached more imo.
Edit: And please assess instigating every time the twerp goes towards the net with gloves and stick high after the whistle, every single time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2