Confirmed with Link: OHL can't return with on-ice contact, says government official

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's one thing to just not allow them to play at all, but allowing them to play only without "contact" is purely senseless. The virus doesn't spread through shoulder contact.

It does in Canada. That’s why masks aren’t mandatory but shoulder pads are. We get to choose if it’s football or hockey ones though.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This isn't going to work. There's no body checking in women's hockey..... but they get physical and close enough to spread a virus.

So some bureaucrat in Ontario is worried about 10 years olds spreading a virus that medical studies show none of them have sufficient enough body mass to carry a viral load?

And which none of them die from much less get sick from. (99.9% survival rate 1 -18 yrs old. CDC data. It's more dangerous to drive to the rink using those stats...)

Oh yeah..... It's all about grandma and grandpa. Who aren't allowed to see their relatives and are dying of loneliness or by suicide.

We are such an enlightened society. Yep... follow the science........

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Happy Friday...

How many are asymptomatic? How many require hospitalization? What age groups are we talking about?

I'm not poking you here...... And not looking for answers. I just wanted to point out that the numbers reported never seem to include any specifics.

The health bureaucrats mindset has moved from flatten the curve to absolutely no transmission ever. NO cases is the only acceptable threshold.

Which won't happen for years now because we have artificially suppressed transmission.

Reactions: Ralonzo

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
An amazing statistic I heard that puts things into perspective: In Ontario there are roughly 100 Covid patients in hospitals and roughly 300 hospitals located in the province. So there are three hospitals for every Covid patient in Ontario.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This isn't going to work. There's no body checking in women's hockey..... but they get physical and close enough to spread a virus.
I’m not sure its going to be implemented. Reading up on the politician involved, she has no science background. She’s a member of the Ontario legislature and minister of sport among other things. Has a political science degree.

The article states there are negotiations going on. This seems like a starting line position from someone not well verse in the science. The hope would be the science would be properly explained in the negotiations.

This report is a headline looking for clicks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When I first saw this I thought it was a Babylon Bee or Onion article, but it's actually real. This is insane and the fact that people who actually have political power both came up with it and are implementing it terrifies me.
Its not being implemented at the moment. There is a negotiation going on.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So some bureaucrat in Ontario is worried about 10 years olds spreading a virus that medical studies show none of them have sufficient enough body mass to carry a viral load?

And which none of them die from much less get sick from. (99.9% survival rate 1 -18 yrs old. CDC data. It's more dangerous to drive to the rink using those stats...)

Oh yeah..... It's all about grandma and grandpa. Who aren't allowed to see their relatives and are dying of loneliness or by suicide.

We are such an enlightened society. Yep... follow the science........
Its not some bureaucrat. Its the Minister for Sport, heritage and tourism for the Ontario government. The person who would have say on something like this. She is in negotiations with the OHL on the parameters involved with starting up their season. None of this is set in stone.

I‘m also not aware of any 10yr olds playing in the OHL.

Maybe a little reading/research before going off on a rant? You know, enlighten yourself. :sarcasm: Just teasing

Call me crazy but having a government official erring on the side of caution, even if misguided, going into a negation like this is hardly the worst thing. She clearly doesn’t know enough of the science and hopefully the negotiations give her a better understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoSoyLalo

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

now you can be angry about it. :laugh:

At the end of the article it mentions outbreaks in QMJHL this fall. I thought all the leagues were shut down.

MacLeod said the decision was influenced by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which had several COVID-19 outbreaks on its teams earlier this fall.

don’t see this doing anything to stop the spread.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Even without this decision, prospect development was going to be a bit of a mess. Not sure how much players can grow with the difficulty many leagues are having trying to put seasons together.

Last edited:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Eeek, just cancel the season if you are doing that. If it is deemed too dangerous to hit, then it should be too dangerous to play. Won't make any difference.

Quinn can't go to Europe to play for the year correct? I know AHL isn't an option.

At that point, is it better to just have him be in Buffalo with this year and practice with the team and play some games? I honestly don't know but a non-contact OHL is pretty brutal for development.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Wow. They may as well not play.

I feel sorry for the late risers out there. The Quinn's of this draft who won't get the opportunity to raise their stock before the 2021 draft.

It's a total mess but we knew that already. There is no correct solution.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Makes sense. They need to bubble up and play normally or they need to play a restricted game with more leeway. I could only imagine the lawsuits and personal guilt someone would get/feel if they passed a positive test onto someone else and it killed that person or a loved one. At the end of the day this is just sports.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad