Confirmed with Link: OHL can't return with on-ice contact, says government official

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Even without this decision, prospect development was going to be a bit of a mess. Not sure how much players can grow with the difficulty many leagues are having trying to put seasons together.
I agree. Loss/shortening of a season has nothing but detrimental effect on player development.

On the bright side, it should help both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada youth organizations efforts get rid of body checking entirely.

Progression of the anti body checking protocol.......
Peewee's ----> Bantams -----> all levels?

Never let a crisis go to waste..... advance your agenda at all times and take advantage of opportunities presented.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Wow. They may as well not play.

I feel sorry for the late risers out there. The Quinn's of this draft who won't get the opportunity to raise their stock before the 2021 draft.

It's a total mess but we knew that already. There is no correct solution.
This might help some prospects by forcing them to work on skills and positional play.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
This might help some prospects by forcing them to work on skills and positional play.

I'd liken it to having junior basketball players play netball.

It will definately be an interesting experiment & a useful tool to develop certain skills. As a one off drill it's great. But for an entire season?

Unless checking is also banned in the NHL its only going to be detrimental to these young guys in the long run imo.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd liken it to having junior basketball players play netball.

It will definately be an interesting experiment & a useful tool to develop certain skills. As a one off drill it's great. But for an entire season?

Unless checking is also banned in the NHL its only going to be detrimental to these young guys in the long run imo.
The season has already been cut down to 40 games. These measures end as soon as a vaccine is available. Maybe they will consider allowing more than 3 overagers per team in 2021-22. But that would have an undesirable ripple effect.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The season has already been cut down to 40 games. These measures end as soon as a vaccine is available. Maybe they will consider allowing more than 3 overagers per team in 2021-22. But that would have an undesirable ripple effect.

I'd refer back to @joshjull's post above - if they can ensure it is safe to play the games in the first place then surely having checking vs no checking becomes irrelevant?

The wider implications are out of control & I don't think there is a single solution. I'd liken it to college graduates this year seeking careers - just very unfortunate timing. As someone who graduated not long before the 2008 financial crisis I have both sympathy & empathy.

Maybe the 2021 draft gers cancelled & we have a 'super' draft in 2022 for both 19yo & 18 yo players?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd refer back to @joshjull's post above - if they can ensure it is safe to play the games in the first place then surely having checking vs no checking becomes irrelevant?

It's not practical or affordable. The NHL bubble model is the most effective. They can come closest to the MLB/ NFL model but they don't have the budget to do daily testing and locker room disinfecting. Those leagues have had some cases. Are kids going to be more compliant with control measures? I think we'll have wait a couple months to assess the situation.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
This is not worth much developmental wise. The OHL guys are allowed to play in Europe I assume. You would think Quinn could get a team lined up no problem.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is not worth much developmental wise. The OHL guys are allowed to play in Europe I assume. You would think Quinn could get a team lined up no problem.

Given that European leagues have already started up, it won't be that easy to find a spot. Especially for players that don't have any ties to a European club like Quinn.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
Could this be a breach of contract allowing Quinn to play in Rochester?
Quinn will make it out of camp. He's a good skater, he's got elite hands and an elite shot. Since the start of the season is delayed and most likely to start a couple months later than usual, he has the time to fill out his frame a bit which also helps.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Ontario Premier Doug Ford seems to be walking back the non contact concept but I suspect wants to use that to hold over teams that may not want to accept strict covid protocols. P6 of Toronto Star sports section today.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This would be like the NFL or college football playing flag football.

What a joke.

Just cancel hockey for a few years until the hysteria dies down.

It'll be all star game level hockey. No real D. Goalies get shelled regularly. Dangle meisters perform w/o fear of being checked.

And change up all your tactics because there's little point to running a cycle or a hard 2-1-2 forecheck. (The D guys will appreciate it however....)

Save your money and just head out to your local rink and watch a beer league game at the ex-pro and JR/D-1 skill level.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad