OHL Bulldogs is Habs junior team?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Don't know if somebody can link that little article written by Renaud Lavoie in the "Journal de Montréal" today or if I even read that correctly.....But there is a small piece of article when Lavoie is talking about the fact that since Andlauer, who is partially a Habs owner, has now a OHL team with the Bulldogs, that this team will serve as a junior team....for the Habs. That if the Habs sign a US player and can convince him to join the OHL....that they will send him there....Am I missing something? Aren't they just all going to the draft and every team can pick them? Is Lavoie smoking something? Or am I?

Thanks.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This seems to be the article:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/05/04/kristopher-letang-veut-revenir-en-pleine-forme

I have no clue if what he describes is even a possible thing. The team will be part of the CHL after all and the draft applies to everyone, as far as I know.

And he also adds that the style of play will be similar to Habs? Again...how the heck is that possible? And if it was....poor Hamilton....But for me, that article makes no sense whatsoever. Thanks for the link.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Don't know if somebody can link that little article written by Renaud Lavoie in the "Journal de Montréal" today or if I even read that correctly.....But there is a small piece of article when Lavoie is talking about the fact that since Andlauer, who is partially a Habs owner, has now a OHL team with the Bulldogs, that this team will serve as a junior team....for the Habs. That if the Habs sign a US player and can convince him to join the OHL....that they will send him there....Am I missing something? Aren't they just all going to the draft and every team can pick them? Is Lavoie smoking something? Or am I?

Thanks.

I think its easy to understand.

When a player from american colleges (ex. Tinordi, McCarron, Leblanc) will be drafted by the Habs. Those players will be pushed to play for the OHL Bulldogs. So they'll learn our system faster and be more nhl ready. Plus its good for the club.

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec

When a player from american colleges (ex. Tinordi, McCarron, Leblanc) will be drafted by the Habs. Those players will be pushed to play for the OHL Bulldogs. So they'll learn our system faster and be more nhl ready. Plus its good for the club.

But those players are (for the most part) already property of other CHL teams. I fail to see how Montreal could enforce such a thing.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com

Thanks.

Is this my NHL:EHM 2007 game???

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

But most of those guys would already be drafted in the CHL and therefore wouldn't be able to play for the Dogs unless they get traded. Some would have to go through waivers in their league (WHL & QMJHL) to be eligible to sign with an OHL team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
God, if those poor kids have to play the Habs style I feel sorry for them already.

I'm sure it's just a matter of directing some kids there and that'll be it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Thanks.

Hope Andular isn't that thick in the skull. Must know more about the league than what is suggested in the article.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If they're any good, good chance they do belong to a CHL team.

Maybe not if they have a huge indication that it's a wasted pick. Though we've seen quite a lot of wasted picks in the past though. That would take a huge turnaround by Habs to then see it happening later on. But as Habsprospects said, it could happen.

Though, I'm not sure about the "similar style".

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
For prospects whose rights already belong to another CHL club, could the Habs and that player perhaps persuade the club in question to trade their rights to Hamilton? Is that maybe what they're getting at?

In theory, I mean. Would it be legal to do? Obviously a bit unethical.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
For prospects whose rights already belong to another CHL club, could the Habs and that player perhaps persuade the club in question to trade their rights to Hamilton? Is that maybe what they're getting at?

In theory, I mean. Would it be legal to do? Obviously a bit unethical.

It's not unethical unless the Habs say "if you don't trade him, then he'll never play for you guys" and the prospect had already agreed to join the team before he got picked up by the Habs. But like in any other league when you make a trade, you have to make it worth it...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

They are really going all in with Michel **** system eh? :help:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Maybe not if they have a huge indication that it's a wasted pick. Though we've seen quite a lot of wasted picks in the past though. That would take a huge turnaround by Habs to then see it happening later on. But as Habsprospects said, it could happen.

Though, I'm not sure about the "similar style".

So IF an American kid who is 18+ but under 21 that has never been drafted by a CHL team is drafted or signed by Montreal he might be encouraged to play in Hamilton instead of college? This might happen once every few years, if ever. This is essentially non news.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So IF an American kid who is 18+ but under 21 that has never been drafted by a CHL team is drafted or signed by Montreal he might be encouraged to play in Hamilton instead of college? This might happen once every few years, if ever. This is essentially non news.

If so, well that's surely not what Lavoie meant, hence he's mistaken. He probably think those Us kids aren't drafted and we could have a farm junior team.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Could it be that they are trying to Emulate what is going on in Sweden with the Junior teams and their pro associations and those junior teams can loan the players to the NHL.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
My impression is that the guy who bought the team (or whoever spoke to Lavoie) is kind of making a bigger deal than it really is. I doubt management truly has a grand master plan to bring guys over to the OHL to "develop" them.

First of all, they'll draft so few of them on OHL territory. Also, odds are tha they'll have been drafted by another team as they came out of midget or high school hockey at 15 years old. How can the Habs have any idea at this point who they're going to draft? Besides, the main preoccupation of the GM in place will be to build a good team. That alone will be hard enough. No need to try to figure who the Habs might be interested in 3 years from now. Not only that but junior hockey is not all about developing hockey skills and whatnot. A lot more teaching goes on there. At the pro level you can tell guys to do this, this and that all the while singing a song or what have you. Junior kids don't execute just like that. A lot more teaching (patience) involved.

So, I seriously doubt an NHL team would go on to buy a team to maybe develop 1 or 2 players every what? 5 years if not more? Sounds more to me like someone is trying to build some form of credibility for the team with the Habs somehow being involved in the thing. Also, teams have scouts following the players they drafted already. Would be quite a bit cheaper to simply hire a few more people to track their prospects than it would be to buy a team and hope maybe you can attract 1 or 2 players once in a while.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad