OHL Attendance

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
You can't be serious. I posted the numbers. Niagara is showing the largest decrease over any team in the league. That's bad. There is no way to sugar coat it. 977 fans per game... that's minimum $20,000 per game lost just on tickets alone. Probably closer to $50k / game total. Half a million gone.
A lot of that is from the beginning of the season. Since end of December of they have averaged over 3500 a game. I would imagine it staying that way for the rest of the season. At the same time they are a 9 win team and the fact they are getting the numbers they have over the last few home games says a lot.

Those teams I brought up may not have as low attendance as Niagara but outside of North Bay, the rest has a decrease in attendance and are all playoff teams. North Bay should have much higher attendance for being one of the best teams in the league with so many NHL prospects.

You want to throw money losses on Niagara fine but Mississauga has to be a lot worse with their meager 1600 fans.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
A lot of that is from the beginning of the season. Since end of December of they have averaged over 3500 a game. I would imagine it staying that way for the rest of the season. At the same time they are a 9 win team and the fact they are getting the numbers they have over the last few home games says a lot.

Those teams I brought up may not have as low attendance as Niagara but outside of North Bay, the rest has a decrease in attendance and are all playoff teams. North Bay should have much higher attendance for being one of the best teams in the league with so many NHL prospects.

You want to throw money losses on Niagara fine but Mississauga has to be a lot worse with their meager 1600 fans.
I don't know how to break this to you... but 3,500 a game, when you were averaging 4,800 pre-pandemic isn't good. It's actually a larger deficit than what they are currently showing. (They are actually averaging 4,087/game since the start of 2023.. but again, the numbers I post are comparing to the same number of home games, you really don't want to know what the Ice Dogs drew in January 2019, but it had to be over 5,000/game)

Niagara average attendance

2018/19 5,035
2017/18 4,855
2016/17 4,804
2015/16 4,557
2014/15 4,328

In 19/20 they were averaging 4,910 before the season was shut down. Now they are at 3,901.

Hold your team management accountable.

Regarding Mississauga, I've made it no secret that I think they should relocate to Cornwall. I do not think that the Ice Dogs should move. But I think their management/ownership needs to do something.. along with Kitchener.

Last edited:

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I don't know how to break this to you... but 3,500 a game, when you were averaging 4,800 pre-pandemic isn't good. It's actually a larger deficit than what they are currently showing.

Niagara average attendance

2018/19 5,035
2017/18 4,855
2016/17 4,804
2015/16 4,557
2014/15 4,328

In 19/20 they were averaging 4,910 before the season was shut down. Now they are at 3,901.

Hold your team management accountable.
I know it's not good. I think a lot of it has to do with the former owners and now trying to trust the new owner. There was a lot of worry the new owner would move the team to Brantford. If they are better next season and are in the playoffs it will be a different story. What also has hurt them is up to 18/19 they were a good team and a few seasons one the best teams. Since then they have been bad with this season only having 9 wins.

My point still stands that even for such a bad team the fact even 3900 are showing up for such a bad team is a credit to the fan base.

Look I know -900 is bad but it's understandable considering how bad they are.

My point still stands that while Niagara is doing bad, there are teams out there that should be doing a lot better then they are. North Bay stands out the most. For a team with the prospects they have and how good they are they should be up a lot more then they are. Barrie and London shouldn't be down in attendance considering how good they are.

Otto

I know it's not good. I think a lot of it has to do with the former owners and now trying to trust the new owner. There was a lot of worry the new owner would move the team to Brantford. If they are better next season and are in the playoffs it will be a different story. What also has hurt them is up to 18/19 they were a good team and a few seasons one the best teams. Since then they have been bad with this season only having 9 wins.

My point still stands that even for such a bad team the fact even 3900 are showing up for such a bad team is a credit to the fan base.

Look I know -900 is bad but it's understandable considering how bad they are.

My point still stands that while Niagara is doing bad, there are teams out there that should be doing a lot better then they are. North Bay stands out the most. For a team with the prospects they have and how good they are they should be up a lot more then they are. Barrie and London shouldn't be down in attendance considering how good they are.
If you're going to pick at London being down 14 fans a game we are going to have to agree to disagree.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
If you're going to pick at London being down 14 fans a game we are going to have to agree to disagree.
The other two should be doing a lot better. North Bay is the one that gets me. They have a stacked team with many NHL prospects are only up 79 fans. They should be closer to the top attendance teams. Kitchener and Barrie should be up as well. IMO unless you're a really bad team like Niagara is this season there is no reason to have high negative attendance.

Otto

The other two should be doing a lot better. North Bay is the one that gets me. They have a stacked team with many NHL prospects are only up 79 fans. They should be closer to the top attendance teams. Kitchener and Barrie should be up as well. IMO unless you're a really bad team like Niagara is this season there is no reason to have high negative attendance.
North Bay are showing an increase in attendance... that's a good thing. Simply looking at the standings and saying "oh well, it's explained because the team sucks" is the wrong approach. Oshawa and Erie both suck this year and they have had no problem showing attendance increases. Guelph was bad at the beginning of the season and have consistently been near the top all season. North Bay is showing an attendance increase this season over pre-pandemic numbers. Any team that's showing an increase is doing an excellent job in this economy.

I'd like to know why you think Kitchener should be up?

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
North Bay are showing an increase in attendance... that's a good thing. Simply looking at the standings and saying "oh well, it's explained because the team sucks" is the wrong approach. Oshawa and Erie both suck this year and they have had no problem showing attendance increases. Guelph was bad at the beginning of the season and have consistently been near the top all season. North Bay is showing an attendance increase this season over pre-pandemic numbers. Any team that's showing an increase is doing an excellent job in this economy.

I'd like to know why you think Kitchener should be up?
It should be up based on the talent they have on the team alone. Maybe it's just me but if my local team has a bunch of NHL prospects playing for them I am going to watch as many games as I can. It's not like Kitchener is a bad team.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The last few games attendance in Kitchener has (inexplicably) gone up to a little over 7000 a game. Some walkups are drinking the Kool aid that they're a contender I guess 🤣

Otto

Demographics? Please elaborate on how demographics is so detrimental to the Steelheads attendance?
Mississauga has the most diverse population in the OHL. Sadly Hockey continues to be a sport where the vast majority of participants are Caucasian. Its getting better but it's not where it should be.

Here's a great article on it

In fact, it appears the Steelheads franchise has done little to acknowledge the diversity of the city over the years. Just a few weeks ago they had their *first* cultural celebration night. That ties into Marketing as well, which is obviously the biggest issue.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Maple Leafs and Marlies I think tend to steal the spotlight

Marlies not so much, though anyone that goes to the Marlies isn't driving to Mississauga for a game, the traffic is one thing and not many people follow both leagues. The arena is a you know what to get to for many people living in Mississauga, especially if they work in Toronto proper and are taking the highways home. I've easily had that commute take well over a hour and a half and often just drove straight to the rink, imagine a family and picking up the kids. Who needs that stress and it is stressfull.

Two other things, the O may be a big deal in most of it's markets but hardly makes a dent in the GTA. Think about how many sports stations there are and they have no time or oxygen for the Argos, let alone the O. Even their MLS soccer team which draws well aren't in for general discussion. At least they are professional, not as big as the NFL and European soccer, but silence here. A major Jr A hockey team based in the suburbs ain't drawing a lick of attention in a area that has 3 major league sports franchises.

When I click on CTV news for various cities or even global I find OHL updates, what not. You never see that with the Toronto affiliates, and there isn't a separate entity for Mississauga, we do not have a major daily paper, our AM station is new and destined to be fringe only, swamped by all the media in Toronto itself. The Steelheads only get noticed if you are actually looking for them.

The team should actually have a hard core base and should do well enough but having a franchise flip and a lousy rink location (pain in the neck to get to for most people and NOTHING around it after over 20 years) sure as hell have made a uphill road even tougher. If the rink was part of a build up to Square One Mall they would have had constant exposure and reasonable public transit hub as well. The PFFC, or formerly hershey centre is out off the HWY 403, which BTW has no direct exit to the rink, but you can see it.

Reactions: Helvigster and Otto

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Mississauga has the most diverse population in the OHL. Sadly Hockey continues to be a sport where the vast majority of participants are Caucasian. Its getting better but it's not where it should be.

In fact, it appears the Steelheads franchise has done little to acknowledge the diversity of the city over the years. Just a few weeks ago they had their *first* cultural celebration night. That ties into Marketing as well, which is obviously the bigge

In fact, it appears the Steelheads franchise has done little to acknowledge the diversity of the city over the years. Just a few weeks ago they had their *first* cultural celebration night. That ties into Marketing as well, which is obviously the biggest issue.

Hard to argue that they should have had more events like this but let's be honest, it's not like if they did they would be getting another 1000 butts in the stands. In fact I see more diversity in Mississauga then I do in any other arena, which follows the cross section of population. I just think the small fish in the big pond ( no pun intended) and some of the logistics play a bigger role then the population make up. IMO, as I've lived here for over 3 decades.

Otto

Hard to argue that they should have had more events like this but let's be honest, it's not like if they did they would be getting another 1000 butts in the stands. In fact I see more diversity in Mississauga then I do in any other arena, which follows the cross section of population. I just think the small fish in the big pond ( no pun intended) and some of the logistics play a bigger role then the population make up. IMO, as I've lived here for over 3 decades.
I don't disagree, that's why demographics wasn't listed first... or multiple times.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't disagree, that's why demographics wasn't listed first... or multiple times.

Fair enough, having lived here and hearing others expound on demographics I just wanted to put things in perspective. Thanks for the back'n'forth!

Reactions: Otto

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Marketing
Arena location
Marketing
Demographics
Marketing
Pricing
Marketing

Regarding Mississauga attendance - You can also add to it terrible concessions. Very few are open and it takes all intermission+ to purchase anything.

Add to that the ticket policy. Even if you buy tickets at the box office, you don't get a hard copy of the ticket. It's sent to your phone virtually. Not user friendly for the older demographic.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Bottom 5 teams in terms of weeknight games vs weekend games
(Note, Fridays and Family day are included as weekend games, school day games are counted as weeknight games)

Sarnia -760 fans per game (5 weeknight games)
Erie -643 (7 games)
Saginaw -615 (6 games)
Sudbury -553 (4 games)
Barrie -501 (12 games)

Of note, only two teams have seen a positive draw on weekdays vs weekend, Hamilton and Ottawa, and both of those teams have run successful school day games. As well, neither Guelph or Mississauga have played a weeknight game thus far this season.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
All totaled as of last nights games the OHL is down 3588 fans over the same amount of games in 2018/19 it amounts to a 0.2% decrease in overall attendance. By comparison the OHL was down by 2.8% total year over year from 17/18 to 18/19
I'd be curious to know what teams charge the most for individual game tickets and the least? I know every team has different price points for seats but I just mean the top option and what team has the lowest....Also what the league avg is

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
I'd be curious to know what teams charge the most for individual game tickets and the least? I know every team has different price points for seats but I just mean the top option and what team has the lowest....Also what the league avg is
Wolves tickets range from 26.50 to 21.50 for adults club to worst seating. No discounts in club but in preferred and general to 21.50 and 18.50 for preferred and general for seniors and students. I think under 5 or 3 are free. I can't remember which. I usually get 21.50 preferred which are centre ice on wolves bench side. I think for 43 bucks Mrs sleemans and I get a good deal.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

Otto

Bottom 5 teams in terms of weeknight games vs weekend games
(Note, Fridays and Family day are included as weekend games, school day games are counted as weeknight games)

Sarnia -760 fans per game (5 weeknight games)
Erie -643 (7 games)
Saginaw -615 (6 games)
Sudbury -553 (4 games)
Barrie -501 (12 games)

Of note, only two teams have seen a positive draw on weekdays vs weekend, Hamilton and Ottawa, and both of those teams have run successful school day games. As well, neither Guelph or Mississauga have played a weeknight game thus far this season.
Sorry, I should correct... this is weeknight games vs. Total overall average attendance. The weeknight games are included in the overall attendance number.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Spirit attendance tends to increase after the new year and once football season is over. I don't know why they had so many home games in October when they have to compete against high school football.
The Sarnia Sting doesn't have too much competition from other sporting events at the same time in out city.HS football games are late afternoon games with hardly any night games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad