OHL Attendance

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Question for Knights fans...has Bud Gardens really seen over 9000 a game still? Sure doesn't look like it on the TV.

Sarnia's numbers seem to be down a few hundred. Usually up between 2800-2900 for average attendance in years passed, I believe.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
So which team would be considered most disappointing? I don't mean worst . . . that's easy . . . Mississauga's attendance is pitiful.

But which franchise is furthest behind where they should be?
I think it Niagara but after last season disaster may take awhile.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The only issue I have with this is that we're looking at numbers on very much a small sample size.

In a similar thread a number of seasons ago, I pointed out the simple few points about attendance. One big one was the time of the season and the other was who the teams played during that time. I would find it very hard to believe beyond a place like London or maybe Ottawa would have consistent attendance on a game by game basis.

For example playing a top team after the trade-deadline will attract more occasional fans to a fanbase then say at the start of the season or even 10 games into a season. This has a lot to do with where the team is located too as in bigger centers like the GTA have more attractions, shows, and sports then say a place like North Bay it creates an overabundance of entertainment options for people, which greatly reflects in attendance numbers.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers would be 15 games into the season and again at say 30 games to get a better average gage on where attendance truly is in the league this season. As most teams are around 10 games right now I'd say we are seeing numbers that really should be gaged in that basis of 10 games segments look back at 20 and 30 games neat the end of the regular season and I can pretty much guarentee that these numbers will level out to more realistic accuracy of what the league wide attendance truly is this season.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Question for Knights fans...has Bud Gardens really seen over 9000 a game still? Sure doesn't look like it on the TV.

Sarnia's numbers seem to be down a few hundred. Usually up between 2800-2900 for average attendance in years passed, I believe.
Certainly not 9000 "bums in seats"
Sounds like the seats are sold but they sure arent all being used...

Reactions: rve24 and Ferda11

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Erie is a little high because their home opener against London saw over 5k fans. I expect it to settle down around 2500 - 3k unless the team does well. That has been pretty much where the team sits every year so unless something changes, it's so far an average fans in the stands season.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The only issue I have with this is that we're looking at numbers on very much a small sample size.

In a similar thread a number of seasons ago, I pointed out the simple few points about attendance. One big one was the time of the season and the other was who the teams played during that time. I would find it very hard to believe beyond a place like London or maybe Ottawa would have consistent attendance on a game by game basis.

For example playing a top team after the trade-deadline will attract more occasional fans to a fanbase then say at the start of the season or even 10 games into a season. This has a lot to do with where the team is located too as in bigger centers like the GTA have more attractions, shows, and sports then say a place like North Bay it creates an overabundance of entertainment options for people, which greatly reflects in attendance numbers.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers would be 15 games into the season and again at say 30 games to get a better average gage on where attendance truly is in the league this season. As most teams are around 10 games right now I'd say we are seeing numbers that really should be gaged in that basis of 10 games segments look back at 20 and 30 games neat the end of the regular season and I can pretty much guarentee that these numbers will level out to more realistic accuracy of what the league wide attendance truly is this season.
When I posted the attendance numbers in the past it was comparative to the same # of games in the previous seasons.

I still keep the numbers but don't bother posting due to the amount of yahoos and trash pandas.

Reactions: rve24

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Trash Pandas only dig through trash because there isn't enough food in the wild.

Please keep posting attendance numbers here, maybe it will keep them off the main threads...

Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Trash Pandas only dig through trash because there isn't enough food in the wild.

Please keep posting attendance numbers here, maybe it will keep them off the main threads...
Reply of the month, hands down! Reply of the year candidate!

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
How does this compare to a list of % of capacity? I know the Fronts are somewhere around 45% capacity with a capacity of 5500

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
How does this compare to a list of % of capacity? I know the Fronts are somewhere around 45% capacity with a capacity of 5500

I mean if you do it by percentage of capacity, Hamilton will never leave the bottom at around like 15-20% capacity.

As far as the numbers for Hamilton, I wish they were better, especially after a championship, but this isn't that bad. Hamilton's number is artificially inflated a small amount from the home opener when the raised the banners.

Hamilton's attendance always stinks at the start of the season and is back heavy, mainly because of the Ti-Cats are still playing and the Bulldogs season ticket holders burn their never wasted tickets around Xmas and the end of the season. I think it if they can get it back up to 3.5k, on what should be a famine season, I think that will be a win.

Mississauga though, I don't want anyone to lose their team, but it constantly surprises me the team remains there. Despite being the largest market, I don't think they've ever drawn enough to leave the bottom 5. I also don't think they have a local broadcaster either, so that also doesn't help.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
It seems that Friday nights are the most popular times for junior hockey games, mainly because it’s not a school night. As I understand it, these coveted days are given to OHL teams on the basis of seniority in the league, so for example, Sudbury always gets Friday night games for being in the O for over 50 years whereas North Bay gets Thursday night games because they have only been around for 25. Not only does the Battalion play in a small market but this scheduling has the effect of keeping Thursday night attendance numbers lower than their next main time which is Sunday afternoons. If a family can even afford to attend a game, it isn’t likely going to be on a Thursday because things like making lunches, getting clothes ready, showers and homework all get in the
way, not to mention how wired some kids are after a game that they aren’t even tired. This is reflected in Sunday numbers being a little better than Thursdays. It would be helpful to all smaller markets if the league would allow some of those Friday nights to be spread around a little more than they are now.

Otto

It seems that Friday nights are the most popular times for junior hockey games, mainly because it’s not a school night. As I understand it, these coveted days are given to OHL teams on the basis of seniority in the league, so for example, Sudbury always gets Friday night games for being in the O for over 50 years whereas North Bay gets Thursday night games because they have only been around for 25. Not only does the Battalion play in a small market but this scheduling has the effect of keeping Thursday night attendance numbers lower than their next main time which is Sunday afternoons. If a family can even afford to attend a game, it isn’t likely going to be on a Thursday because things like making lunches, getting clothes ready, showers and homework all get in the
way, not to mention how wired some kids are after a game that they aren’t even tired. This is reflected in Sunday numbers being a little better than Thursdays. It would be helpful to all smaller markets if the league would allow some of those Friday nights to be spread around a little more than they are now.
I haven't been tracking individual days in particular, however I do have a breakdown of Monday-Thursday average attendance. This would also encompass holiday games such as family day as well as the school day games which boost attendance particularly for Ottawa and Hamilton

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Don't think the Thursday/Friday thing is based on seniority. Both Peterborough and Windsor have Thursday night games. Both have been in the league for a very long time.

Reactions: Roadhog

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Don't think the Thursday/Friday thing is based on seniority. Both Peterborough and Windsor have Thursday night games. Both have been in the league for a very long time.
I think home nights are based on seniority. Windsor and Peterborough have been a mainstay on Thursday nights for decades. Obviously they are happy with that or you’d see them take a turn on Friday night some years.

The Rangers, for decades have been strictly Friday Sunday. They almost never play a Saturday home game and the only reason they play Tuesday night home games now is because it’s their choice. During the Bienkowski regime, once attendance went through the roof, the Rangers decided they could afford to play an amount of games every year on Tuesday nights to break up some of those 3 in 3’s.

As a fan, I hate to Tuesday night games. But as far as the team goes, I’m sure they like not having as many 3 in 3’s. The part that I don’t like about these Tuesday night games is that they often have them against big draw teams or a big event nights For three or four year stretch, London, who was probably our biggest rival, only played at the Aud on Tuesday nights. This is obviously in order to get attendance up on those nights. Another major pet peeve with me is the teddy bear game in December. It’s always on a Tuesday night in order to get the attendance up for that night. If there ever was a game that should be on a Sunday afternoon it’s the teddy bear game. Why have it on a school night when you don’t have to. I believe we’re the only team in the league that does their teddy bear game on a weeknight.

I got off track a little there. But, there is no doubt that home dates are based on league seniority.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
W
When the Platers moved to Owen Sound, the decision was made to play weekend home games on Saturdags, not Fridays.

Being a regional market they felt there would be more people drive into town from up to an hour away ( or more ) on way.

It's also worked out well for players families.
A good number of them can make it every Saturday .

I think the desired days vary from one market to the next .

Otto

Love to see size of arena and population factored in somehow
I keep the attendance stats and include capacity. I haven't updated in a while, but dm me your email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet once updated.

A couple of teams attendance numbers are inflated by the school day games. Hamilton in particular.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I keep the attendance stats and include capacity. I haven't updated in a while, but dm me your email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet once updated.

A couple of teams attendance numbers are inflated by the school day games. Hamilton in particular.

Yeah, I didn't know why at first but Hamilton runs two a year, one for the Public board, the other for the Catholic board. That said, I figure Hamilton sits in 10th in the league when they are factored out. The drop between Erie and Kingston at the "official" 9 and 10 is fairly substantial.

The one I have to applaud is Niagara. They are having a rough go, but the gate still seems strong.

Otto

Yeah, I didn't know why at first but Hamilton runs two a year, one for the Public board, the other for the Catholic board. That said, I figure Hamilton sits in 10th in the league when they are factored out. The drop between Erie and Kingston at the "official" 9 and 10 is fairly substantial.

The one I have to applaud is Niagara. They are having a rough go, but the gate still seems strong.
Niagara has dropped off considerably over 19/20. One of the worst decreases with Kitchener being the worst

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Spirit attendance tends to increase after the new year and once football season is over. I don't know why they had so many home games in October when they have to compete against high school football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad