OHL 2018 - 2019 season prediction thread

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Posting to get in on ohloutsider's contest.

Eastern:

1. Niagara
2. Oshawa
3. Ottawa
4. Barrie
5. North Bay
6. Sudbury
7. Mississauga
8. Peterborough
9. Hamilton
10. Kingston

Western:

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Owen Sound
4. Windsor
5. Guelph
6. Sault Ste Marie
7. Erie
8. Kitchener
9. Flint
10. Sarnia

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Ottawa
Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Petes
N.B
Sudbury
Missy
Hamilton
Kingston
Seems much to do with returning guys at NHL Camps? Who is selling? Who is buying?

Western
London
Saginaw
Attack
Windsor
Guelph
Kitchener
Flint
Erie
Sarnia
SSM

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Ottawa
Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Petes
N.B
Sudbury
Erie
Hamilton
Kingston
Seems much to do with returning guys at NHL Camps? Who is selling? Who is buying?

Western
London
Saginaw
Attack
Windsor
Guelph
Kitchener
Flint
Erie
Sarnia
SSM

You think the Sault is dead last? With 3 potential world junior players and a strong returning cast? Yes they may sell those players off but that's not until 2/3rds through the year. I would be willing to bet a good chunk of change that the Soo finishes in the top 4 in the Western Conference this year.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
You think the Sault is dead last? With 3 potential world junior players and a strong returning cast? Yes they may sell those players off but that's not until 2/3rds through the year. I would be willing to bet a good chunk of change that the Soo finishes in the top 4 in the Western Conference this year.

Top 4 in the West? I'll take that bet

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Top 4 in the West? I'll take that bet

The Sault is in a weird spot right now. They have the talent to add a piece at forward and be dangerous, especially if everyone returned (Sandin included), however it’s not looking good on Sandin or Frost’s return....
If they don’t return and they sell they’ll be 7-8th. If they get everyone back they’ll be anywhere between 2-4th.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Sault is in a weird spot right now. They have the talent to add a piece at forward and be dangerous, especially if everyone returned (Sandin included), however it’s not looking good on Sandin or Frost’s return....
If they don’t return and they sell they’ll be 7-8th. If they get everyone back they’ll be anywhere between 2-4th.

Sandin isn't coming back, but I assume Frost will. But they have to sell off Frost (in my opinion) at the deadline, which is why I can't see them finishing top 4. And there's at least a chance that Hayton makes the NHL next year so they will at least think of moving him too at this deadline you'd think

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Sandin isn't coming back, but I assume Frost will. But they have to sell off Frost (in my opinion) at the deadline, which is why I can't see them finishing top 4. And there's at least a chance that Hayton makes the NHL next year so they will at least think of moving him too at this deadline you'd think

I agree with you in that I believe this is Hayton’s last year in the O.
I know Sandin is property of Rögle BK, but the leafs wanna see his NA game improve and Dubas said at the draft “we expect him to have a big season next year in Sault Ste Marie”. So I’ll hope and pray for the best!

Just wondering, in your opinion, why would the team have to sell off Frost at the deadline? IF they’re competitive they could be in a situation to add someone (Maksimovich?) and take a run?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I agree with you in that I believe this is Hayton’s last year in the O.
I know Sandin is property of Rögle BK, but the leafs wanna see his NA game improve and Dubas said at the draft “we expect him to have a big season next year in Sault Ste Marie”. So I’ll hope and pray for the best!

Just wondering, in your opinion, why would the team have to sell off Frost at the deadline? IF they’re competitive they could be in a situation to add someone (Maksimovich?) and take a run?

Because they bought the last couple years so they don't have the picks stockpiled to be able to add the way Guelph/London/Saginaw are in place to add. And if SSM loses Frost/Hayton without getting anything back for them, then they're screwed in the next 3-5 years because they won't have picks. If they trade them however, theyll fill back up the draft pick cupbaord and the "rebuild" will be much shorter.

Perfect example is OSH vs GUE to me.

Gens won in 2015 and then traded away Dal Colle and Desrocher and Cirelli and now they're ready to win again just 3 years later.

Guelph on the other hand won in 2014 but then lost Fabbri, Dickinson, Bertuzzi all for nothing and then had several very tough years in a row because of the lack of picks they had for those years. But if they hadve realized the position they were in and traded those guys away the following year, they probably would've been a top team in the OHL last year and this year. Would've been a much faster turnaround

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
It's Guelph's situation in the past, the reason why I expect Hamilton to sell off Strome and Entwistle(and others) at midseason--Bulldogs are not in a position to contend for another championship right now, and need to replenish picks--hopefully Staios realizes this, especially if Hamilton wants to host a Memorial Cup the next time the OHL's turn comes around (pending renos to FirstOntario or a new arena).

Reactions: Finster8

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Ottawa - I'll assume the get their #1 early
Niagara - solid all around. Not as high on their overall talent as most
Oshawa -no glaring weaknesses
Barrie - Lost alot but have many ready to step up
Sudbury - finally looking up in Sudbury. Maybe asking abit much of a rookie goalie behind that D
North Bay - strikes me as a Butler type team
Peterborough - rebuild delayed another year with 1st round defection
Hamilton - will need to sell. When they do it determines where they finish
Missisisauga - see Hamilton
Kingston - 1st pick in the next draft. An injured Vilardi may help that rebuild along as an unexpected trade piece.

Saginaw - go for it year
London - maybe a year early for them but a weaker west means they'll go for it (again)
Owen Sound - will make another run this year
Guelph - Solid team. Will they underperform or meet expectation. Finishing 2nd or 6th won't surprise me
SSM - rookies played a big role in last years team so I don't think the drop off will be huge
Windsor - contenders next year and the year after. Maybe keeping DiPietro makes them that this year do (I doubt he's a Spitfire all year though)
Flint - expected more last year so I've dampened expectations for this year
Kitchener - I'm all over the map with them
Sarnia - at least Rees will be fun to watch
Erie - rebuild part II but in the right direction

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
My predictions for the upcoming season are:

East: 1. Niagara
2. Oshawa
3. Ottawa
4. North Bay
5. Peterborough
6. Sudbury
7. Barrie
8. Kingston
9. Hamilton
10. Mississauga

West: 1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Guelph
4. Sault Ste Marie
5. Owen Sound
6. Windsor
7. Kitchener
8. Sarnia
9. Flint
10. Erie

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Predictions for ohloutsiders contest:

EAST:
1- Oshawa
Best goalie in the East, forwards on every line who can score, as good 1-7 as any D-core in the league. Only question will be whether or not they decide to go all in, because next year they should also be very good (but will lose Keyser/Studnicka/Brassard).​
2- Niagara
I think Ottawa will have more points, but NIA wins their division and finishes 2nd.​
3- Ottawa
They scare me more than anyone else just because they have a million picks. But if they wait too long to get their goalie, it'll cost them first place.​
4- Sudbury
Goaltending is 50% of the game, unless you don't have one, then it's 80%. They finally have one.​
5- Barrie
Had the toughest time with Barrie. They just lost so many key guys but Suzuki is a stud and the new goalie can carry then for a bit when they're not scoring.​
6- Peterborough
Good top 9 forward group but D core is very weak and *see the Sudbury quote above*. They don't have one.​
7- North Bay
Losing Burghardt was a massive loss. I still like Propp though and think they'll be fighting for 4-7 spot.​
8- Mississauga
Very young team, a lot will rely on Jacob Ingham, and I don't think he's very good.​
9- Hamilton
Classic "we'll be bad because last year we were really good" junior hockey team.​
10- Kingston
It won't be pretty. Still don't understand why they went all in last year.​

WEST:

1- London
So young and so good. They'll dominate the OHL for multiple years.​
2- Saginaw
I still think they're too young to win, but I have winning their division, although having the 4th most points in the West.​
3- Owen Sound
2nd best team in the West. Suzuki could win player of the year.​
4- Guelph
I think they buy big at the deadline this year to make a run.​
5- Sault Ste. Marie
Much younger team and will likely have to sell off Frost (and maybe Hayton). Villalta will have to be much better than last year if they're going to get home ice in the 1st round. He'll be tested a lot more this year.​
6- Kitchener
Similar to Sarnia but will likely keep more of their guys because they're younger than the SAR impact guys.​
7- Sarnia
Goaltending questions and when they sell off will decide how high/low they finish.​
8- Windsor
Young team that will struggle to score at times.​
9- Flint
Still very young and Cavallin is still a year away from being really good.​
10- Erie
Going to be another tough year. Will be in contention for the #1 overall pick.​

Reactions: hockeynorth

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Here goes My picks for the season.....

East

1) Niagara
2) Oshawa
3) Ottawa
4) Barrie
5) Sudbury
6) North Bay
7) Peterborough
8) Hamilton
9) Mississauga
10 Kingston

West
1) London
2) Saginaw
3) Owen Sound
4) Guelph
5) Soo
6) Kitchener
7) Windsor
8) Sarnia
9) Flint
10 Erie

jessb37

Mar 8, 2006
East
1) Oshawa
2) Niagara
3) Ottawa
4) Barrie
5) Sudbury
6) Peterborough
7) North Bay
8) Mississauga
9) Hamilton
10) Kingston

West
1) London
2) Owen Sound
3) Saginaw
4) Guelph
5) Soo
6) Kitchener
7) Windsor
8) Flint
9) Sarnia
10) Erie

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
West:

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Guelph
4. Owen Sound
5. SSM
6. Kitchener
7. Windsor
8. Sarnia
9. Flint
10. Erie

East:

1. Niagara
2. Oshawa
3. Ottawa
4. Barrie
5. Sudbury
6. North bay
7. Peterborough
8. Hamilton
9. Missy
10. Kingston

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So to add some interest to this thread I've decided to sweeten the pot a bit. There will be 3 winners - east prediction winner. West prediction winner. Overall prediction winner. Prizes will be a small gift card donated by myself or a donation to the charity of choice of the winners. ( We will work that out through PM). Don't expect any fancy spread sheets like SFC created but I will put out a tally list at the end. Scoring will be as follows - 10 points for picking the 1st place winner in the east conference, 10 points for picking the 1st place winner in the west conference. 9 points for picking the 2nd place winner ( each conference) . 8 points for picking the 3rd place winner ( each conference). Continues down until 1 point is awarded for picking the last place in each conference. You could actually not pick the top teams right and still win this.

Rules - you must have your predictions in before the season opener - Soo plays Saggy Wednesday night Sept 19th so picks must be on this thread before 7pm that night. If you wish you can only predict 1 conference and you would be eligible to win that conference only. If 2 or more entries are tied then a random draw will be used to pick the winner.
Remember predictions are for fun only - keep it that way.

Reminder that entry to this contest closes at 7pm on Wednesday September 19th just before the Soo/Saggy game. That is approx 48 hours from now.
Also 3 points I wish to clarify - there will be 3 prizes awarded but you can only win one of them. If you win the overall and finish first in the east and first in the west you still only get one prize. The next best record in the east and the west would win the prize for that conference. You would still appear on record as the best but for fair distribution the prizes will be allotted to 3 different winners.
As per normal this thread will remain open after Sept 19th and you could still enter your selections. You will appear on the final tally sheets but you will not be eligible for any of the prizes.
And lastly no matter where I end up on the final list I will not be eligible for any of the prizes.

This is my first kick at the can on this one so please take it easy on me - I welcome ideas but please play nice in the sand box.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
West:

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Guelph
4. Owen Sound
5. SSM
6. Kitchener
7. Windsor
8. Sarnia
9. Flint
10. Erie

East:

1. Niagara
2. Oshawa
3. Ottawa
4. Barrie
5. Sudbury
6. North bay
7. Peterborough
8. Hamilton
9. Missy
10. Kingston
West

1. London
2. Ssm
3.Owen sound
4. Saginaw
5. Windsor
6. Guelph
7. Sarnia
8. Kitchener
9. Erie
10. Flint

East

1. Ottawa
2. Niagara
3. Oshawa
4. Sudbury
5. North Bay
6. Barrie
7. Hamilton
8. Peterborough
9. Mississauga
10. Kingston

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Here is my hat in the ring for whatever my guess is worth.

WEST

Owen Sound
London
Saginaw
Windsor
Guelph
Soo
Kitchener
Flint
Sarnia
Erie

EAST

Niagara
Ottawa
Oshawa
North Bay
Sudbury
Barrie
Peterborough
Hamilton
Mississauga
Kingston

An exercise in darts really, who knows who returns and when, the WJC, injuries and teams selling off.

Like the scoring system, should be interesting!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad