OHL 2018 - 2019 season prediction thread

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
I’m amazed that this many people have erie dead last. For a team that finished near .500 after trades and barely lost anyone..I don’t see them taking a step back.
it’s actually weird because many of you have called for Erie to finish last the last 4 years now. In 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, and now this year. Heck even some thought in 2014-15 they would be dead last after selling mcdavid. But it hasn’t happened yet and I don’t expect it to this year

West:
London
Saginaw
Guelph
Owen Sound
Flint
Windsor
SSM
Erie
Kitchener
Sarnia

East:
Niagara
Ottawa
Oshawa
North Bay
Hamilton
Barrie
Sudbury
Missy
Petes
Kingston

The problem with Erie remains weak goaltending. Coaching is absolutely committed to maintaining last year's tag teaam despite mountains of evidence that neither is a capable OHL starting goalie.

At camp today the decision to stick with the same goalies was on obvious display. Hard won draft picked goalies were absent, while young, inexperienced junior A/B cannon fodder goalies were added to the camp in order to keep up appearances.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results. Until Erie's brain trust learns this lesson, get used to the basement.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The problem with Erie remains weak goaltending. Coaching is absolutely committed to maintaining last year's tag teaam despite mountains of evidence that neither is a capable OHL starting goalie.

At camp today the decision to stick with the same goalies was on obvious display. Hard won draft picked goalies were absent, while young, inexperienced junior A/B cannon fodder goalies were added to the camp in order to keep up appearances.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results. Until Erie's brain trust learns this lesson, get used to the basement.
I'm surprised that very few people, including Erie fans have no faith in Murphy. He had some solid games against Flint last year. Apparently that wasn't the norm. My thinking on Erie possibly finishing at or near the bottom is that while they are for the most part, just going to be a year older, so are the rest of the teams that finished in the bottom half of the conference last year and they've all added pieces roughly equal to or better than the Otters and I don't see any of them doing much of a sell off, if at all. Erie, I could see moving another body or two at the deadline then making a quick move back towards the top of the conference for a couple/few years again. Do they finish 10th? Maybe. Do they finish top 6-7? I doubt it, but the pieces and organization are there for a bright future.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Kingston I can easily see finishing deep in the bottom of the OHL--outside of Jason Robertson, there is basically nothing there. And will Bonello do anything?

Basically, that team is likely to finish dead last.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Kingston I can easily see finishing deep in the bottom of the OHL--outside of Jason Robertson, there is basically nothing there. And will Bonello do anything?

Basically, that team is likely to finish dead last.
With the unforeseen retirement of Burghardt this is exactly who Butler should be looking to add.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
With the unforeseen retirement of Burghardt this is exactly who Butler should be looking to add.

Maybe closer to the deadline if North Bay is contending. Of course, the Fronts would probably likely want to get a lot of picks and prospects for him.. will Butler(or another team) be willing to bite?

As for why I pick Kingston to finish last--look at their training camp roster---there is basically not a lot there.

http://ohl.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com...s/2018/08/27170453/Camp-Invites-Good-Good.pdf

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I see all the predictions. They are fascinating to look at. However, I see Flint improved, but again in the bottom two of the Western Division. I really hope I am wrong.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'm surprised that very few people, including Erie fans have no faith in Murphy. He had some solid games against Flint last year. Apparently that wasn't the norm. My thinking on Erie possibly finishing at or near the bottom is that while they are for the most part, just going to be a year older, so are the rest of the teams that finished in the bottom half of the conference last year and they've all added pieces roughly equal to or better than the Otters and I don't see any of them doing much of a sell off, if at all. Erie, I could see moving another body or two at the deadline then making a quick move back towards the top of the conference for a couple/few years again. Do they finish 10th? Maybe. Do they finish top 6-7? I doubt it, but the pieces and organization are there for a bright future.
That guy has continued to bash the coaching and Brown on the goalie situation. I agree with him in regards to Oberoi but I totally disagree with Murphy. Murphy was a rookie last year and played with a team that had no depth, was young, and lacked a good defense. Even Dipietro isn’t putting up elite numbers with that.
He did okay imo. Had some stellar moments. I would imagine he will be better. How much better is the question but he should at least be more consistent

I see sarnia and Kitchener going backwards. Lost tons of pieces and few assets meaning they will sell. Flint is still a question mark. Owen Sound could be in tough if Suzuki doesn’t return. And SSM has a few guys that could turn pro that might cause them to have a down year. Nobody knows.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
I think this could be a very competitive Eastern Conference this year, but also feature two of the worst teams in the league.

East;

1. Niagara
2. Oshawa
3. Ottawa
4. Barrie
5. Sudbury
6. Hamilton
7. Peterborough
8. North Bay
9. Mississauga
10. Kingston

As for the West, I think London will once again rise to the top, but should have some competition at the top of the conference.

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Owen Sound
4. Guelph
5. Sault Ste. Marie
6. Kitchener
7. Windsor
8. Flint
9. Erie
10. Sarnia

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I think most Otters fans have faith in Murphy, he looked pretty good at times last season and I think was undone by fatigue and a very young defense that made some mistakes.

I'm disappointed they didn't bring in Bernard or Campbell to challenge Oberoi more but that poster just seems to have a massive issue with Brown for some reason.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
that poster just seems to have a massive issue with Brown for some reason.
Why? There's gonna be a bit of a tough rebuild after FOUR 50 win seasons and an OHL title. Just seems like unrealistic expectations. Didn't have ANY trouble getting Drysdale to believe and sign and there was a lot of NCAA talk surrounding him. As far as Murphy goes, he looked like a solid starter to me and the first time I saw him I thought "Oh s*#t, Erie found their goalie". He had a great game.

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
East

Ottawa
Niagara
Oshawa
Sudbury
Barrie
North Bay
Peterborough
Hamilton
Mississauga
Kingston

West

London
Saginaw
Kitchener
SSM
Owen Sound
Guelph
Flint
Windsor
Erie
Sarnia

Champs18

Mar 15, 2018
East:

1. Niagara
2. Hamilton
3. Oshawa
4. Ottawa
5. Sudbury
6. Barrie
7. North Bay
8. Peterborough
9. Mississauga
10. Kingston

West:

1. Saginaw
2. London
3. Guelph
4. Kitchener
5. SSM
6. Owen Sound
7. Flint
8. Windsor
9. Sarnia
10. Erie

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
East:

1. Niagara
2. Hamilton
3. Oshawa
4. Ottawa
5. Sudbury
6. Barrie
7. North Bay
8. Peterborough
9. Mississauga
10. Kingston

West:

1. Saginaw
2. London
3. Guelph
4. Kitchener
5. SSM
6. Owen Sound
7. Flint
8. Windsor
9. Sarnia
10. Erie

Hamilton winning the Eastern Division? That's a bold prediction!

Reactions: Hammer9001

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
H
East:

1. Niagara
2. Hamilton
3. Oshawa
4. Ottawa
5. Sudbury
6. Barrie
7. North Bay
8. Peterborough
9. Mississauga
10. Kingston

West:

1. Saginaw
2. London
3. Guelph
4. Kitchener
5. SSM
6. Owen Sound
7. Flint
8. Windsor
9. Sarnia
10. Erie

Hamilton 2nd? Not happening--that would be a terrible thing for the Bulldogs, who are losing most of their championship core this season and next, and need to refill their draft cupboard with high picks. More likely they finish somewhere between 6th to 9th (assuming Kingston ends up the worst team in the OHL, which they will be--their roster does not inspire any confidence), and trade off Strome and Entwistle at midseason for picks and young players so that they can try to aim for a Memorial Cup bid the next time the OHL bids.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
...Battalion.best player just retired due to back trouble..iffy on D..lost a lot...you are being generous...agree on Niagara

Fair, but I seem to recall they had a decent closet and they weren't exactly sellers last year. Really, apart from Oshawa and Ottawa, no one else in the conference can say that. I also think Ottawa is still a very young team, Sudbury doesn't have the pieces yet and Barrie loaded up last year and while they won't fall as spectacularly as other teams will, they are losing enough pieces.

I don't think many people are disagreeing on Niagara. They still have their tender, they have a lot of players returning and they still have just enough of a cupboard to address their immediate needs.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Hamilton 2nd? Not happening--that would be a terrible thing for the Bulldogs, who are losing most of their championship core this season and next, and need to refill their draft cupboard with high picks. More likely they finish somewhere between 6th to 9th (assuming Kingston ends up the worst team in the OHL, which they will be--their roster does not inspire any confidence), and trade off Strome and Entwistle at midseason for picks and young players so that they can try to aim for a Memorial Cup bid the next time the OHL bids.

Yeah, gonna have to agree with digi here. If Hamilton doesn't sell this season, they will cripple the team for years to come, and I don't see Staios doing that, especially since he already dealt Jack Hanley. They were also a very old team last year and a big chunk of the squad is moving to AHL teams this coming year. Also, how the heck they win the division from Oshawa? They had a decent group last year and now have more picks then a guitar shop.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fair, but I seem to recall they had a decent closet and they weren't exactly sellers last year. Really, apart from Oshawa and Ottawa, no one else in the conference can say that. I also think Ottawa is still a very young team, Sudbury doesn't have the pieces yet and Barrie loaded up last year and while they won't fall as spectacularly as other teams will, they are losing enough pieces.

I don't think many people are disagreeing on Niagara. They still have their tender, they have a lot of players returning and they still have just enough of a cupboard to address their immediate needs.

If Ottawa can find a goaltender, they will run away with the East.

The 67’s gave Hamilton the best punch in the face through the first three rounds last year.

Their Import pick is the early favourite to go #2 in the 202 draft. The kid looks like Mitch Marner 2.0.

They will easily be 9 deep up front and will score consistently from 3 lines. Their back end is 7 deep and none of them would be considered 6th D-Men on average teams.

The only graduate of consequence is Barron.

They have the cupboard full of picks including four 2nds in next year’s draft. With DiPietro most likely coming available at some point, they’d have to be considered the front runners to acquire him. IF they do, it will be lights out for the rest of the East, probably the entire league.

Without acquiring a significant goaltender? Probably will give some games away and finish behind Oshawa and Niagara.

So, keep a close eye on the 67’s this year.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

The 67’s gave Hamilton the best punch in the face through the first three rounds last year.

While I agree, Ottawa is being overlooked and shouldn't be. I disagree that Ottawa punched Hamilton harder than Niagara. IIRC Hamilton beat Ottawa four times by 3 or more goals, while 3 of the games VS Niagara went to OT. The other two games were one goal games until Hamilton scored empty netters. (Basically 5 one goal games)

Ottawa needs more than a goalie to get to the same level as Niagara, but they have more than enough assets to do so.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
While I agree, Ottawa is being overlooked and shouldn't be. I disagree that Ottawa punched Hamilton harder than Niagara. IIRC Hamilton beat Ottawa four times by 3 or more goals, while 3 of the games VS Niagara went to OT. The other two games were one goal games until Hamilton scored empty netters. (Basically 5 one goal games)

Ottawa needs more than a goalie to get to the same level as Niagara, but they have more than enough assets to do so.

When you start every game two goals behind because of the shooter tutor in net nightly, you realize how hard it is to compete in the wins column. Ask the Bulldogs how difficult of a series the Ottawa series was and you will find that I am correct.

No disrespect to Niagara but lining up the 18 skaters against each other top to bottom, Ottawa has a decided advantage. The only area where Niagara has an advantage is potentially on the first line with the higher profile names. Scrub the names off the back of the jersey's and roll the two teams out there, I think you would be surprised.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
West

London
Saginaw
Owen Sound
Guelph
Soo
Sarnia
Windsor
Flint
Kitchener
Erie

East

Niagara
Ottawa
Oshawa
Sudbury
North Bay
Hamilton
Barrie
Petes
Kingston
Missy

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Their Import pick is the early favourite to go #2 in the 202 draft. The kid looks like Mitch Marner 2.0.

They will easily be 9 deep up front and will score consistently from 3 lines. Their back end is 7 deep and none of them would be considered 6th D-Men on average teams.

The only graduate of consequence is Barron.

They have the cupboard full of picks including four 2nds in next year’s draft. With DiPietro most likely coming available at some point, they’d have to be considered the front runners to acquire him. IF they do, it will be lights out for the rest of the East, probably the entire league.

Without acquiring a significant goaltender? Probably will give some games away and finish behind Oshawa and Niagara.

So, keep a close eye on the 67’s this year.

Unless that goalie is DiPietro I don't think they "run away with the East". They could be very good, but OSH/NIA will be as well

The Gens are absolutely loaded this year. Have 9 legit OHL level Dmen now with getting the Franche commit (all are huge and extremely mobile), the best goalie in the Eastern Conference and a top 9 that features guys like Studnicka, Noel, McShane, Commisso, Antropov, Wong, Eggenberger.

Ottawa better not wait too long to get a goalie or they won't be able to keep up with that Gens roster....

Reactions: Hammer9001

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Unless that goalie is DiPietro I don't think they "run away with the East". They could be very good, but OSH/NIA will be as well

The Gens are absolutely loaded this year. Have 9 legit OHL level Dmen now with getting the Franche commit (all are huge and extremely mobile), the best goalie in the Eastern Conference and a top 9 that features guys like Studnicka, Noel, McShane, Commisso, Antropov, Wong, Eggenberger.

Ottawa better not wait too long to get a goalie or they won't be able to keep up with that Gens roster....
Keyser might not be the best goalie in the east. That's arguable for sure. I'd have the top 5 in the league though right now as DiPietro, Luokkonen, Raymakkers, Keyser, Villalta. You could rank those however with DiPietro the 1 but I think Luokkonen ends up being the best goalie in the east.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Keyser might not be the best goalie in the east. That's arguable for sure. I'd have the top 5 in the league though right now as DiPietro, Luokkonen, Raymakkers, Keyser, Villalta. You could rank those however with DiPietro the 1 but I think Luokkonen ends up being the best goalie in the east.

I'll wait until he's played 1 second in this league before anointing him the best. But even if he is, you still say Keyser is top 2 in the East and the Gens roster is set up quite a bit better to win this season than Sudbury's is. But regardless, my point was just that the original poster saying Ottawa would run away with the Eastern Conference seemed premature

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'll wait until he's played 1 second in this league before anointing him the best. But even if he is, you still say Keyser is top 2 in the East and the Gens roster is set up quite a bit better to win this season than Sudbury's is. But regardless, my point was just that the original poster saying Ottawa would run away with the Eastern Conference seemed premature
Lol don't worry, after who they cut and their start I have Sudbury 4-6 range. I still think Ottawa is the 3rd best WITH Dipietro, and I have Oshawa at 2 with Niagara at 1. Though I think the top 3 will be a dog fight with everyone after just idling along. My point with Luokkonen was I've watched how he plays, and he moves better then most other goalies this age. I think we see the top 3 as him, Dipietro and one of the other 3. Sudbury isn't winning this year that's for sure, you know, unless Oshawa wants to gift us one of those Dmen.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Lol don't worry, after who they cut and their start I have Sudbury 4-6 range. I still think Ottawa is the 3rd best WITH Dipietro, and I have Oshawa at 2 with Niagara at 1. Though I think the top 3 will be a dog fight with everyone after just idling along. My point with Luokkonen was I've watched how he plays, and he moves better then most other goalies this age. I think we see the top 3 as him, Dipietro and one of the other 3. Sudbury isn't winning this year that's for sure, you know, unless Oshawa wants to gift us one of those Dmen.

I've only ever seen Lukkonen play in the WJs and he was not good, but obviously that doesn't mean he sucks so I can't really comment on him yet. I just know how good Keyser is so I'm very confident in saying that there arent 3 goalies better than him in the OHL

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad