OT: Oh shit, oh dang, it's time for what are you listening to, mang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dear friends and Pens board visitors--

tumblr_ox79mmBEzz1w1y15so2_500.gifv

Welcome back to the semi-annual, quasi-reliable, factually-insubstantial "What are you listening to thread!" The only thread, where we annoy each other with real, actual, completely non-factual conversations about who was the best Sabbath singer (Ozzy), who was the best Floyd songwriter (Barrett), and who sang the best Bob Dylan cover (clearly Emmylou Harris!).

A couple of ground rules:

1) Don't be a dick about what is or isn't music. It's all music. It's also all trash. It's great!

2) Don't be a jerk to other posters. Here in this thread, it's one love. Good natured ribbing? A-ok.

3) Don't ask @ColePens to post anything here about Chainsmokers.

4) Just post, OP. Post your band. Post your favorite new jam. Post something weird you found online yesterday morning in a drunken haze. Just poast.

And also, more importantly, talk to your fellow people of dubious taste about all things music, making music, or music industry related here!

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Holy shitballs you have an old Selmer? Those things ARE loud, man. And getting pretty rare.

I love the AC15... it's an outstanding little amp. Cosmetically mine looks different than most because it was a throwback "TV" model in blue and white but it specs out the same as all AC15s made in the last decade or so.

Only ONE issue I've had -- unbeknownst to me (and I really should have researched this) -- it came loaded with utter ass cheap Chinese tubes. I don't know where they source these things from but they are no bueno. Replace those (I only figured it out because one of the power tubes on mine started going microphonic a few weeks ago but since it's my OTHER amp I just shrugged and said I'd get to it eventually) and you'll have a real nice sounding amp. Everything you'd expect from a Vox.

I usually let my friend borrow it. And keep threatening to sell it to him. But it just has such a nice switchup sound from my Fender I like to have it around.

It would make a pretty good home amp (has a master volume) but my dude... it's loud as hell. Easily would cut through at any club gig and most places mic these days if ya need it.

Moving this over from the OT thread...

Yeah, I grabbed a MK II Treble n Bass a few years back from Hungary for about $350, thanks to a Hungarian student who was able to translate the emails for me. :laugh: It's a pain in the ass a bit-- it's like a f***ed up Bassman. The bass channel? Super bassy and farty. The guitar channel? Ice-pick city. But if you jump the channels and feed them into each other? It sounds actually glorious, completely by accident. I've also got a Selmer Little Giant like this:

DSCF2306-1.jpg

But that's stuck at my office/studio space while I'm in quarantine. Sweet little take on a Champ, but it's only got like 2 watts. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Moving this over from the OT thread...

Yeah, I grabbed a MK II Treble n Bass a few years back from Hungary for about $350, thanks to a Hungarian student who was able to translate the emails for me. :laugh: It's a pain in the ass a bit-- it's like a f***ed up Bassman. The bass channel? Super bassy and farty. The guitar channel? Ice-pick city. But if you jump the channels and feed them into each other? It sounds actually glorious, completely by accident. I've also got a Selmer Little Giant like this:

DSCF2306-1.jpg

But that's stuck at my office/studio space while I'm in quarantine. Sweet little take on a Champ, but it's only got like 2 watts. :laugh:

Yeah I'm only at all familiar with the Zodiac so I was reading up on the TnB and that's what people were saying. Hey... if it works it works! Much like our old guitars... old amp design was quirky.

Maaaaaan that low wattage one there looks amazing. I want it just based on looks alone. Haha

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah I'm only at all familiar with the Zodiac so I was reading up on the TnB and that's what people were saying. Hey... if it works it works! Much like our old guitars... old amp design was quirky.

Maaaaaan that low wattage one there looks amazing. I want it just based on looks alone. Haha

It is a sexy beast. It is also one of the most shoddily constructed amps I've ever owned (at least until I had my tech give it a through going-over). :laugh: It's also, like any Champ-circuit, pretty much useless for any sort of situation that requires versatility, but I like running it full-bore in stereo with the Vox for super small gigs.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Been digging into Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Heard them in Colorado and wanted to hear more. I always like spacey instrumentals for studying and being productive.

I've also always know Pink Floyd forever, but only really heard the super popular tracks. Listening to Breathe and Time a lot lately.

Here's a fun Bluegrass version that led me to check out the Pink Floyd version in the first place.

Speaking of Bluegrass I got into these guys recently as well. I was supposed to see Caamp at Mr Smalls next week...but you know.

Iffy, By and By, 26, Strawberry, Peach Fuzz, All the Debts I owe are all solid tracks. Give them a listen, if you like one of their songs you'll like them all.

These guys too:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've heard it more times than I can count but Time's guitar solo is still absolutely one of my favorites ever. Maybe a little cliched of an opinion, sure but my god is it inspired.

Reactions: StaalForOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
you know who are great?
Cake

and Weezer

and according to spotify, this is my top played song of 2019. Great choice.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Talking Heads. Ever. :laugh:

I really like Cake, but I feel like the deadpan delivery of most of the songs is an acquired taste. Weezer had two brilliant albums, and then I just can't get over Rivers Cuomo being up his own ass. But man, those two albums are bangers, even if parts of Pinkerton haven't aged really well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Talking Heads. Ever. :laugh:

I really like Cake, but I feel like the deadpan delivery of most of the songs is an acquired taste. Weezer had two brilliant albums, and then I just can't get over Rivers Cuomo being up his own ass. But man, those two albums are bangers, even if parts of Pinkerton haven't aged really well.
I'll be honest, I've loved those two albums since they were new, but I just learned who Rivers Cuomo was a couple years ago. The amount of attention I pay to music outside of actually listening to it is approaching zero.

Talking Heads are a newer one for me. 80's music damn near didn't exist in my house growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia