Oh no, not another one, seriously!@%#&!! [MOD Trade Weber?]

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
You either have to have some elite players up front or so much quality in your top 6 it won't matter how many quality defensemen we develop.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand?

I don't care how many elite defenders you have skating around - if the end result is a loss or being non-competitive after eeking into the playoffs - we're doing it wrong.

The way I see it, we have 2 choices - we wait around to develop some dynamic forwards (I figure we have at least 1 year, maybe 2 to see what we have in Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Aberg, Leipsic, etc) or we trade for one.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
The ONLY time you can consider it is when you have a 1B to his 1A.
IF Jones becomes the dominant force he shows potential to be in a couple of seasons
IF another team offers a young genuine #1 scoring center plus a grade A prospect/pick
at that point you can make the move. But I think you need every one of those elements to do it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Here is your other issue, how many teams are willing to trade away a #1 center, even for Weber? My guess is not many, considering they are harder to come by than #1 defenseman.

Look at all the trades people propose, they want to trade you high quality players, but none of them are willing to give up that guy. If you are trading a guy like Weber, it has to be for that guy, otherwise you lost the trade imo.
I agree. And when we talk about some of those teams listed above, those aren't just run-of-the-mill #1 centers, they are some of the best centers in the game (minus Krejci, but Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Datsyuk...add Getlzaf as well). Those aren't guys that get traded away, even for players of Weber's caliber.

Kavatar

Mar 8, 2014
In all seriousness name me one team that built or became a contender building around a number 1 defender? Now tell me all the teams that have built winners with a number 1 center.

Time will tell if they can stay contenders, but Montreal. Their forwards are better than Nashville's, but the team is built around a defenseman and a goaltender, just like Nashville.

I think a more appropriate point is you need to be strong in all areas to be a perennial contender, and trading Weber would leave the Predators too weak on defense to make up for whatever they could acquire offensively.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Poile has made clear that this isn't approaching the realm of possibility. Could he be lying? I suppose anything is possible.
Lots could happen that could change that. Besides, another losing season, and it probably won't be Poile's decision to make any more.

Phaneuf? Or do you mean the last #1 defenseman in the league?

I think you're correct. I think Phaneuf is the last actual number 1 defenseman to be traded.

Now, when was the last time a top defenseman was traded? Pronger?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
There is one primary reason why Weber won't be traded: Scott Stevens.

what exactly does that have to do with weber and why he won't ever be traded? let's see how the defense develops and see where we're at a few years from now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
what exactly does that have to do with weber and why he won't ever be traded? let's see how the defense develops and see where we're at a few years from now.

Poile was the GM that didn't get him signed in Washington, which if I remember correctly he lists as his greatest error. Second go around, do you really think he is going to let another player of that caliber get away again?

I think the answer is pretty clear, he has said it many times at this point, Weber is not going anywhere. It doesn't matter how much someone might want it, might think its a good idea, if the man on top says that it ain't happening its probably time to let it go.

Last edited:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net

Scott Stevens was drafted by the Washington Capitals. The Capitals decided not to re-sign him.

Their GM said it was the biggest mistake he ever made in his career.

That GM... is our GM.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Scott Stevens was drafted by the Washington Capitals. The Capitals decided not to re-sign him.

Their GM said it was the biggest mistake he ever made in his career.

That GM... is our GM.

do you think im unaware of that situation occurring? that silly story got all the media play when Suter bolted and weber signed the offer sheet. nothing about that situation predicts whether weber plays his entire contract here.

weber won't be traded this off season and that's for sure.. next season, doubtful as well. but down the road, there is a possibility weber could be traded although minimal

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Not much to be done when the player won't talk to you.

They had plenty of conversations until the end. Suter lied and Poile believed him. Seems that at least some in the locker room knew he was gone as early as January. Someone was drinking on Broadway with Lindback and he said Suter wasn't resigning. Some players knew. Poile should've as well.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
They had plenty of conversations until the end. Suter lied and Poile believed him. Seems that at least some in the locker room knew he was gone as early as January. Someone was drinking on Broadway with Lindback and he said Suter wasn't resigning. Some players knew. Poile should've as well.

and then what? trade a top pair defenseman when we were poised for a Cup run??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad