Oh no, not another one, seriously!@%#&!! [MOD Trade Weber?]

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
All right, you all know I'm a big Weber fan. However, I really like our young defenders and think we're building one of the strongest units in the NHL. Going forward, I can see Seth stepping up to be that big time defender Weber is now. And a Jones - Josi pairing might be one of the most mobile, puck possessing units in the NHL. We got a glimpse of how good the Ekholm - Ellis pairing could do and I was pleasantly surprised.

So I'm asking you. What would it take for us to move Weber? Would you even consider it?

I mean if we could pull something like a young superstar center would you do it?

Would you do it have to be a Stamkos level?

I mean if Carolina offered both Staals and pick would you consider that?

I don't know how I feel about it, to be honest.

I think if our young guys all continue to grow, it would be silly to not use that asset to improve the team and I say this as a guy that loves Weber.

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
All right, you all know I'm a big Weber fan. However, I really like our young defenders and think we're building one of the strongest units in the NHL. Going forward, I can see Seth stepping up to be that big time defender Weber is now. And a Jones - Josi pairing might be one of the most mobile, puck possessing units in the NHL. We got a glimpse of how good the Ekholm - Ellis pairing could do and I was pleasantly surprised.

So I'm asking you. What would it take for us to move Weber? Would you even consider it?

I mean if we could pull something like a young superstar center would you do it?

I think if our young guys all continue to grow, it would be silly to not use that asset to improve the team and I say this as a guy that loves Weber.

I think the timing has to be right as much as anything. If Seth builds on last season and really starts to look the part than I would start to really consider it. To me, it would take either: a) Stamkos level player or the b) second one you listed. I can't imagine too many team's make the first one, just since it would seem to gut what they have likely been building around. The second however where you get a little bit of quantity but with real quality could be real intriguing.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
To be honest, it's a waste having 3 D-men of the caliber we have when our forwards are so bad.

I don't care how good they are - one of them is going to be our 3rd D-man and that's just not that valuable when building an NHL team - especially when the forwards are horrific.

I'd give it one more year - I want to see how Laviolette's system can help some of the stalled offensive guys we have, and I want to see if Forsberg and Jarnkrok can turn into dynamic offensive threats.

If we're still in the same boat next year, I'd auction one of the D-men off to the highest bidder.

All the fist-pumping about how "Our defense is set for years!" does us no good because we're still losing.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
No I wouldn't right now, mostly because Jones isn't 100% proven yet. He has 1 year of experience and that's it. Weber is the only real veteran on D besides Del Zotto. Josi is just now really getting there. I myself would move Jones over Weber any day of the week right now.

Now if you ask me this 1 year from now, my answer may change.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Honestly, I don't see the point in wasting any effort talking about Weber. Poile has been crystal clear that he will not move him.

Now, this conversation could be had if Poile is no longer the GM here. But as of now, I just don't see the purpose of it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Young potential superstar like Mackinnon and at least a top four defenseman would be minimum for me.

But I don't see the need to trade any of our top 4 at all, we'll have one of the best cores in the league shortly we need to be patient with our forwards, dispute other fanbases telling is what we need to do with our best players.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
The best thing that would come of trading Weber would be no more trade Weber threads.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I think it's premature to discuss trading Weber. Yes, Jones MIGHT put it together and become an elite top-pairing defender, but he hasn't yet. IF he does, and Josi keeps getting better to the point that a Josi-Jones pairing would be a legitimate top pair, and IF during that time the offense remains anemic, then you start to look at trading one of your elite defenders for an elite young forward. But only then.

If Wilson settles in at center and becomes a 50+ point guy, Smith keeps getting better, Jarnkrok exceeds expectations and Forsberg turns out like we all hope, and the team can get into the top half of the league offensively, then I wouldn't trade ANY of the defense unless the return is overwhelming. I mean, in a couple of years you could be rolling out Weber, Jones, and Ellis down the right side as two elite defenders and a solid offensive d-man. That's a luxury most teams will NEVER have. You don't break that up unless the return is going to be worth it.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
To move Weber right now I need a top 3 forward (**** all of this "top six" nonsense) and then we'll go from there.

Probably a top 3 forward, a very good prospect and a 1st. Anything less is an insult, and anything more is great.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

We cant trade Weber and expect to be a contender in a year or two. The bulk of our defense is about 3 years away from being dominant. We can trade Weber in two years if we are still not looking like a contender at that point but if we get some forwards and the defense keeps developing like it should we could be poised for a Cup run in two or three years.

trading Weber is something to do when he is 32 or 33... still good enough for a team who is one piece short but beyond the point where we have had our shot with him.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
NO NO NO

Would you like it
in a house?
Would you like it
with a mouse?

I do not like it
in a house.
I do not like it
with a mouse.
I do not like it
here or there.
I do not like it
anywhere.
I do not like Trading Weber
I do not like it, Sam-I-am.

What the eff is wrong with having what could be the best freaking D unit ever assembled!!!

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
keep the top 3 d while josi and jones are cost controled. when they are not weber becomes cost controled. if we trade weber might as well trade peka as well. to me wait untill at least mid 2015 2016 season. but I feel you never trade away the best d in the game in his prime locked up to a life time contract.Duchene or Mackinnon is great and all but top 3d>>>>top 10 center witch neather of them are yet.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
In all seriousness name me one team that built or became a contender building around a number 1 defender? Now tell me all the teams that have built winners with a number 1 center.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
In all seriousness name me one team that built or became a contender building around a number 1 defender? Now tell me all the teams that have built winners with a number 1 center.

So Chara, Keith, Doughty, Lidstrom, Letang, are chopped liver those are all #1 D-Men from the last 7 cup winners

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So Chara, Keith, Doughty, Lidstrom, Letang, are chopped liver those are all #1 D-Men from the last 7 cup winners

All those guys had number 1 centers on those teams and that's my point. Teams were not constructed around these guys. Other guys were the main cogs and while they're all great players, it's not like any one of them was there first and the rest of the pieces were added to them. Doughty was the one to me that pushed LA over the top and Chara was a guy Boston added to a good team already.

While it's great to have Weber, we had him and Suter, two of the best in the game and we couldn't build a true contender because we didn't have the pieces up front to do so.

You either have to have some elite players up front or so much quality in your top 6 it won't matter how many quality defensemen we develop.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
You didn't say "Cup winners". You said "Cup contenders." Saint Louis was a cup contender for a long, LONG time while he and MacInnis patrolled the blueline for them.

And what Gnashville said. Some of the centers on those teams would be much worse off if they didn't have someone like those d-men behind them.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
All those guys had number 1 centers on those teams and that's my point. Teams were not constructed around these guys. Other guys were the main cogs and while they're all great players, it's not like any one of them was there first and the rest of the pieces were added to them. Doughty was the one to me that pushed LA over the top and Chara was a guy Boston added to a good team already.

While it's great to have Weber, we had him and Suter, two of the best in the game and we couldn't build a true contender because we didn't have the pieces up front to do so.

You either have to have some elite players up front or so much quality in your top 6 it won't matter how many quality defensemen we develop.

The problem here is every one of those teams had a number #1 defenseman if Poile trades Weber then we don't! Josi is great as Robin to Weber's Batman but not a true #1. Jones has potential but he has a few years of development until he gets there.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Here is your other issue, how many teams are willing to trade away a #1 center, even for Weber? My guess is not many, considering they are harder to come by than #1 defenseman.

Look at all the trades people propose, they want to trade you high quality players, but none of them are willing to give up that guy. If you are trading a guy like Weber, it has to be for that guy, otherwise you lost the trade imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad