News Article: Oh My God - Another stroke for Letang

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Could not find it.

Sorry to continue OT.. But tanger should be fine after this stroke episode anyway , so...

Here

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorry to continue OT.. But tanger should be fine after this stroke episode anyway , so...

Here
This was so gross I need to shower just to feel clean again. I'm so sorry I asked.

So much gaz.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Great question. When he suffered his first stroke 8 years ago they stated it was due to a hole in his heart that would allow a clot to pass form one side to the other. I would hope the doctors have exhausted every avenue to diagnose the issue, including running his brain through an MRI.

I'm sorry to hear of your families condition, hope you stay well and live a long life.. Can they see the condition with a regular MRI or do they have to perform any special processing or analyzation to diagnose it?
Thank you. Yes, the MRI shows all of them, and how/if they have changed.

Sorry to hear about your family. That must be very hard to deal with. I hope you and your boys have long healthy lives ahead.

As far as Letang goes, I imagine they ran every conceivable test after his last stroke. Letang is a millionaire and is going to have access to the absolute best medical care money can buy. I don't know what tests they've run with him but I can't imagine they've left anything to chance.
Thank you.
I figured they would have done all possible testing on him.

Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Funny story.

My friend works for a dealership who often gives cars to drive to Québécois players and Letang was one of them.

Letang got a flat and called them asking them what to do. They tell him to call a tow truck and get it to the closest dealership of the same brand. Letang says: "What if they recognize me?"

He ended up leaving the car there and they had to have it towed. Letang cannot (or won't) manage a flat tire by himself.
Got damn.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Sorry to hear about your family. That must be very hard to deal with. I hope you and your boys have long healthy lives ahead.

As far as Letang goes, I imagine they ran every conceivable test after his last stroke. Letang is a millionaire and is going to have access to the absolute best medical care money can buy. I don't know what tests they've run with him but I can't imagine they've left anything to chance.
Remember when Crosby had the migraines, and ultimately it was something in his neck which he only figured out by going outside his doctor circle (was it California)?

So yeah, it's entirely possible they missed something.

Letang will be back. He skated today. "I had a stroke a couple of days ago but I feel like doing some ice skating" is not something normal people do.
The question is will it be more or less than the 72 days he missed last time this happened.
It all depends on the severity. My understanding is a stroke leads to some sort of impairment which you need to recover from. I don't believe it limits what you can do or are allowed to do.

To a hockey player, doing some skating is similar to you and I taking a walk.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't follow these guys lives but some of it is unavoidable unless you can turn your hearing on and off...
but my guess is letang would rather die than quit hockey like that other old guy qb who is choosing the game over his wife / family.
It's who he is... so whatever, but I'd choose family and health. Especially if I were loaded.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Until the tests are completed and then a plan to deal with recovering such as blood thinners and then moderating that is not get back on the ice and go from there Saturday. There is a liability here that the Pens and Doctors have to insure they have all the bases covered before clearing him for play. He may be able to skate and do hockey things but it is in every ones best interest to make a accurate diagnosis and recovery for his life.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It all depends on the severity. My understanding is a stroke leads to some sort of impairment which you need to recover from. I don't believe it limits what you can do or are allowed to do.
My sister is a neuroscientist (worked on a lot of the pioneering concussion studies a few years back), and the first thing and pretty much only thing the field agrees on is that the brain is a very weird thing. On the one hand, it is incredibly flexible and will find ways to reroute and rewire itself to compensate for injuries so that something like a stroke, with timely treatment and rehab, doesn't mean you're doomed. Lots of people make very nearly full recoveries from them, given these factors. On the other hand, nobody can predict the recovery or has an idea of why or how this happens.

But the other thing is that people don't really know how or why this happens for certain people and not others, and why certain TBIs effect people some ways, but not others. Neuroscience is very much in its infancy. But I've seen family friends make huge strides recovering from massive strokes (going from immobile and non-verbal to mobile, communicative, and able to have independent and productive lives) much more frequently than my parents' generation did, that's for sure. I've also sadly seen a stroke basically end a young colleague's career completely. :dunno:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Here
God, I forgot all about that post. I remember laughing so hard at that the first time I read that, now it gives me chills (and not the good kind).

I'm sure that's a common pasta, though. There's one that circulates via email in the community near Big Sky, Montana, where it's Bill Gates with a flat tire. A guy stops and helps and finds $1mil in his bank account the next day. Now, it's plausible...until you read the exact same story, but instead of Bill, it's Ted Turner. Names change, and amounts change, but the story stays the same.

I will never not see a picture of Letang now and not wonder how good he smells.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My sister is a neuroscientist (worked on a lot of the pioneering concussion studies a few years back), and the first thing and pretty much only thing the field agrees on is that the brain is a very weird thing. On the one hand, it is incredibly flexible and will find ways to reroute and rewire itself to compensate for injuries so that something like a stroke, with timely treatment and rehab, doesn't mean you're doomed. Lots of people make very nearly full recoveries from them, given these factors. On the other hand, nobody can predict the recovery or has an idea of why or how this happens.

But the other thing is that people don't really know how or why this happens for certain people and not others, and why certain TBIs effect people some ways, but not others. Neuroscience is very much in its infancy. But I've seen family friends make huge strides recovering from massive strokes (going from immobile and non-verbal to mobile, communicative, and able to have independent and productive lives) much more frequently than my parents' generation did, that's for sure. I've also sadly seen a stroke basically end a young colleague's career completely. :dunno:
Yeah, it's relatively "new" in terms of studying specific ailments. We had to wait for technology to catch up. Problem is finding a suitable population to make any "study" meaningful. A lot of the CTD stuff only happens after long periods of time so typically, we are decade or two behind when we "figure it out". With newer technology though comes better diagnostics. With better diagnostics comes better early detection and awareness. And with that, comes better conservative treatments.

I remember having my bell rung a few times and the doc brushing it off as a minor concussion. "Did your vision come back together? Yes. Okay. The headaches will go away eventually".

And just as a general comment, I think it's important to recognize something Hextall said in his presser: While he was very careful to say that he would answer questions to the "best of his ability" - meaning, hey guys I'm not a doctor - but he did mention twice, with confidence, that this stroke was definitely not "as bad" as the one in 2014. He missed two months and had no lingering effects from that one so just from a general premise, that should give us confidence that he should be able to return. Perhaps in a similar or even shorter timeframe. We should keep in mind that not all strokes are equal. Some events and precipitators are much more serious than others. I continue to believe that if this was career-ruining stuff, it would have been in 2014. Going 8 years without one, he may opt for a similar risk being that he may only play for another 5 or 6.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I am glad Letang is feeling well enough to skate. I certainly don't think he should rush back but it's reassuring that he feels comfortable enough to get right back on the ice as opposed to last time this happened, when he seemed to have been pretty badly shaken. The whole Dupuis blood clot saga comes to mind, and it gives me pause to think of any player rushing back from a medical incident like this, but I think with 8 years of learning experience since his previous stroke, Letang knows his body better than anyone. I hope he is back to 100% soon.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Absolutely, I'm suspecting Letang was told to try normal activities and see how he feels. He's likely walking/talking normally with no visual abnormalities. He was probably checking if he notices any differences in his body when skating. Ultimately he could have permanent (or semi-permanent damage) who knows, but I'd be surprised he's just some guy who has no clue and does what he wants randomly.

All pure speculation, but logically if he couldn't walk, he wouldn't be able to skate.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I saw this from another poster….I don’t subscribe to DK…but someone please write a main board fan fiction article about this creepy relationship so we have something else to discuss besides that Christmas story lol…

“According to Danny Shirey of DK site, he did some digging after the Friedman report of trying to remove Kapanen, and Shirey states he didn't hear anything that would suggest the Penguins were trying or are trying to move Kapanen. Says he doubts they would "accept defeat" 2 months into a two-year deal.

Danny is newer, so let's hope he's wrong...but, he's probably right. GMs would rather drag their team through the dirt rather than fixing a mistake that admits they **** up in the first place.

Taylor also added that Kapanen and Letang are pretty close. Says Letang often has Kapanen over for dinner, Letang did that even more Kaps first season in Pittsburgh, and they have a weird, goofy relationship that includes meowing at each other during the pre-game soccer matches. “

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I saw this from another poster….I don’t subscribe to DK…but someone please write a main blog fan fiction article about this creepy relationship so we have something else to discuss besides that Christmas story lol…

“According to Danny Shirey of DK site, he did some digging after the Friedman report of trying to remove Kapanen, and Shirey states he didn't hear anything that would suggest the Penguins were trying or are trying to move Kapanen. Says he doubts they would "accept defeat" 2 months into a two-year deal.

Danny is newer, so let's hope he's wrong...but, he's probably right. GMs would rather drag their team through the dirt rather than fixing a mistake that admits they **** up in the first place.

Taylor also added that Kapanen and Letang are pretty close. Says Letang often has Kapanen over for dinner, Letang did that even more Kaps first season in Pittsburgh, and they have a weird, goofy relationship that includes meowing at each other during the pre-game soccer matches. “
When is the last time a local reporter had accurate trade news, especially in the Hextall era?

Just like the NFL, national reporters dominate the NHL trade news market.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What I find surprising is that the other owners are okay with this. (Maybe they’re not, I don’t know)
I would have thought that Bettman would involve himself because of the potential (even if perceived) for a fatal event on the ice during a game.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Owners haven't given a f*** about their investments trying to kill each other with flying elbows or shoulders to the face for years. Why would they care if a dude who has had two strokes by 36 due to a heart defect continues to play hockey? :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Owners haven't given a f*** about their investments trying to kill each other with flying elbows or shoulders to the face for years. Why would they care if a dude who has had two strokes by 36 due to a heart defect continues to play hockey? :laugh:
Why should they?

The player wants to continue to play. Let him. I've been told that living has a 100% fatality rate, though the hyper-rich are working on changing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad