Salary Cap: Offseason tracker 2020 - which players Blues will be dealt at next offseason?

Which Blues player will be traded for next offseason?

• Oscar Sundqvist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ivan Barbashev

• Colton Parayko

• Brayden Schenn

• Jordan Binnington

• David Perron

• Ryan O'Reilly

• Total voters

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This may all be moot. Reading between lines of Armstrong's comments today, sure seems to me like he is anticipating Petro will sign elsewhere.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
In order of likelihood for me, only the top 3 are moves I expect.

Gunnarsson gets moved and replaced by Mikkola, easy $1mil savings.

Allen, should net us a decent pick as he is excelling as a backup. Unfortunately might not save us too much cap since we'll have to find a decent replacement to avoid another Chad Johnson situation.

Bozak, but I could see Army willing to make a move elsewhere to maintain center depth.

Steen, depending on how much value Army gets from Gunnarsson/Allen, I could see him using those picks to move out Steen in a Orpik to Colorado sort of fashion where whoever gets him buys him out, then he returns on a much cheaper deal.

Faulk, I don't think it's too likely, but I could see him being moved for a LHD.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can you link to this? What comments?

I assume he means this tweet from Jeremy Rutherford:

First Tweet: "Army on Pietrangelo “He is a 30-year-old pro, he’s the captain of our franchise, he’s someone I have the upmost respect for. Our goal is to try to get him signed. I’ll address, if he doesn’t sign here, what happened at that point. But our focus is to see if we can get him signed.""

Second Tweet "Army cont’d: “It’s certainly not going to happen between now and our last playoff game ... the last regular-season game and if we’re good enough to make the playoffs, the playoffs ... It’s not something that we’re working on now, it’s not something that we’ve worked on all year.”"

So that definitely does sound like there is a chance he might not sign here, and there will be something to address as to why not. My guess (what follows is wholly speculation) is that Petro wants 8 years and Army, given lots of comments before about term for 30 year olds, doesn't want to give him that long. I think both sides are set on what they want, and there is no point for either in discussing it until someone blinks. This sounds like Army's way of subtly telling Petro's agent, he won't be blinking any time soon.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I assume he means this tweet from Jeremy Rutherford:

First Tweet: "Army on Pietrangelo “He is a 30-year-old pro, he’s the captain of our franchise, he’s someone I have the upmost respect for. Our goal is to try to get him signed. I’ll address, if he doesn’t sign here, what happened at that point. But our focus is to see if we can get him signed.""

Second Tweet "Army cont’d: “It’s certainly not going to happen between now and our last playoff game ... the last regular-season game and if we’re good enough to make the playoffs, the playoffs ... It’s not something that we’re working on now, it’s not something that we’ve worked on all year.”"

So that definitely does sound like there is a chance he might not sign here, and there will be something to address as to why not. My guess (what follows is wholly speculation) is that Petro wants 8 years and Army, given lots of comments before about term for 30 year olds, doesn't want to give him that long. I think both sides are set on what they want, and there is no point for either in discussing it until someone blinks. This sounds like Army's way of subtly telling Petro's agent, he won't be blinking any time soon.

Sounds like we shouldn’t expect an announcement before the end of the playoffs.

Armstrong doesn’t usually use the press to put out messages, but it might be necessary with this particular agency.

If Pietro is determined to test the market, or to go somewhere specific, that’s his prerogative. I can’t imagine what he’d hope to gain though. Every player in the league would envy being the captain of the Cup champs.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sounds like we shouldn’t expect an announcement before the end of the playoffs.

Armstrong doesn’t usually use the press to put out messages, but it might be necessary with this particular agency.

If Pietro is determined to test the market, or to go somewhere specific, that’s his prerogative. I can’t imagine what he’d hope to gain though. Every player in the league would envy being the captain of the Cup champs.

He stands to gain millions. Let's pretend he wants 8years @ $9M. Army wants 6 years but is willing to go $9M for that term. There is $18M difference there. Pietro could sign a one year or two year contract after the 6 years (not a guarantee), but it wouldn't be at $9M. Even if its $5Mx2, that is still $8M he has to gain. The question becomes, how much is being in StL and captain of a cup team worth to him. He already won the cup, and could potentially win it again. What's the diminishing returns on winning the cup when you already have one vs the diminishing returns on millions when you already have millions?

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
This may all be moot. Reading between lines of Armstrong's comments today, sure seems to me like he is anticipating Petro will sign elsewhere.
I think if he truly had that feeling he would've been moved for an absolutely ridiculous haul before the end of the deadline yesterday. Even knowing they're chance to repeat basically goes out the door with him, Armstrong is smart enough to see the big picture going forward and has a good enough roster to complete for another cup for the next 3-4 years even without Petro and the return moving him would net the organization in the future.

Unless some bad blood between Petro and his camp and the Blues brass erupts between now and July 1st or his price tag somehow peaks at $12 million per or more, there is no way he doesn't re-sign, imo.
He understands what he accomplished last spring and what it meant to the city and the fan base, being the first captain to lift the Cup for this franchise isn't lost on him. I also believe he knows that he is in a great situation with an owner like Stillman who is as big a fan of hockey as he is of money and isn't some overlord whose face you never see and voice you never hear. Petro seems like a smart enough guy to know if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: mike1320

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think if he truly had that feeling he would've been moved for an absolutely ridiculous haul before the end of the deadline yesterday. Even knowing they're chance to repeat basically goes out the door with him, Armstrong is smart enough to see the big picture going forward and has a good enough roster to complete for another cup for the next 3-4 years even without Petro and the return moving him would net the organization in the future.

Unless some bad blood between Petro and his camp and the Blues brass erupts between now and July 1st or his price tag somehow peaks at $12 million per or more, there is no way he doesn't re-sign, imo.
He understands what he accomplished last spring and what it meant to the city and the fan base, being the first captain to lift the Cup for this franchise isn't lost on him. I also believe he knows that he is in a great situation with an owner like Stillman who is as big a fan of hockey as he is of money and isn't some overlord whose face you never see and voice you never hear. Petro seems like a smart enough guy to know if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Petro has a full NTC. He is also getting top minutes on a top 5 time in the league, being deployed as the top PP QB on a top 5 PP, is lighting it up offensively and has existing chemistry with his current teammates. In a UFA year, he has absolutely zero incentive to waive his NTC in a contract year. Staying in St. Louis is absolutely in his best financial interest if he plans on testing UFA.

On top of it being in Petro's best interest to play out his contract here, the team is trying to repeat as Cup champs. If Petro truly is walking at the end of this year, this season is our best chance to win a Cup in the next few years, regardless of what deadline package we could get for him. We have tons of incentive to go for it with him on the roster this season.

Even assuming that Petro has told Army "I'm not signing for this garbage franchise because I hate you personally," there is absolutely no chance he would have been moved.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad