Salary Cap: Offseason tracker 2020 - which players Blues will be dealt at next offseason?

Which Blues player will be traded for next offseason?

• Oscar Sundqvist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ivan Barbashev

• Colton Parayko

• Brayden Schenn

• Jordan Binnington

• David Perron

• Ryan O'Reilly

• Total voters

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lets assume Pietro will re-sign with Blues, but than we're quite tigh on cap.

What we'll do when we've players like Dunn (RFA), Schandella (UFA), Blais (RFA), MacMac (RFA) (and DLR (RFA) re-sign too?)

Note you can vote more than 1 option.

Last edited:

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Find a suitor for Jake, trade or buy out Steen, bring up Husso to back up binner. Resign Scandella, Dunn, Blais and Mac and find another home for DLR.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The cap is probably going to be around $84m.

Forwards: O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Schenn, Steen, Schwartz, Bozak, Perron, Sundqvist, Sanford, Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Blais & MacEachern.

Defensemen: Pietrangelo, Faulk, Parayko, Dunn, Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo & Mikkola.

Goalies: Binnington & Husso.

The cap hit of the 19 players in bold is $70m.

So just trading Jake Allen gives us $14m to sign Pietrangelo ($9m?), Dunn ($3m?), Blais ($1.25m?) & MacEachern ($750k). We'll likely sign another goalie, but I'd guess he'll be in the $1m range as well, so it doesn't change too much.

If we're wanting to sign Scandella then Gunnarsson is probably getting moved out, so that frees up $1.75m. Then there would be another move to free up some more salary, which could easily be a hockey trade where we take a little less salary back. If we're wanting to go into the UFA market, then we'll probably need to move both Allen and Bozak.

Our cap situation is largely just moving Allen and then shuffling some things around to accommodate other moves we might want to make.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The cap is probably going to be around $84m.

Forwards: O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Schenn, Steen, Schwartz, Bozak, Perron, Sundqvist, Sanford, Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Blais & MacEachern.

Defensemen: Pietrangelo, Faulk, Parayko, Dunn, Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo & Mikkola.

Goalies: Binnington & Husso.

The cap hit of the 19 players in bold is $70m.

So just trading Jake Allen gives us $14m to sign Pietrangelo ($9m?), Dunn ($3m?), Blais ($1.25m?) & MacEachern ($750k). We'll likely sign another goalie, but I'd guess he'll be in the $1m range as well, so it doesn't change too much.

If we're wanting to sign Scandella then Gunnarsson is probably getting moved out, so that frees up $1.75m. Then there would be another move to free up some more salary, which could easily be a hockey trade where we take a little less salary back. If we're wanting to go into the UFA market, then we'll probably need to move both Allen and Bozak.

Our cap situation is largely just moving Allen and then shuffling some things around to accommodate other moves we might want to make.

Bozak is the obvious move for freeing up cap space. He is not essential to the team, but his contract isnt bad enough to be unmovable like steen. He probably wont net you much in return but just clearing the cap hit is probably worth it since he makes 5 mil and we dont need him.

Gunnarson does t make much to free up that much cap space, but if we are gonna sign scandella and petro, he probably is on chopping block.

Allen might need to be moved for more cap space as well if we are going scandella+ petro route. We will have to find a cheap backup thats decent. I dont trust husso after these last 2 seasons.

Steen doesnt offer much over players hed be playing against but his contract isnt tradable without eating salary. Id move others first before considering steen buyout. We dont want more dead money in future when trying to resign schwaryz and possible binnington or if we want to resign perron and its only 1 more year of steens cap if we can make everything fit.

I assume delarose we will let go while as rfa while keeping and reuuping mackac and blais slightly

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Buying Steen out doesn't save that much space. Steen carries a cap charge of 5.75M. His cap charge would be reduced to 3.42M if bought out this summer. The cap savings of 2.33M will be offset by whatever forward is taking a roster a spot. Figure anywhere from 850k to 2M.

I just don't see buying Steen out for a net cap savings of 1M or less as that beneficial to our cap structure.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I voted for the 4 I could see being moved in order to make the cap work. I'm not going to try and predict a hockey trade where one of our assets with a good contract gets moved for another player. My cap candidates are Allen, Bozak, Gunnar and Steen (in no particular order).

All of the following assumes Petro gets extended. I think that is the smartest/best decision and it is also the domino that requires cap management. If you don't re-sign Petro, then you have about $10M in space to fill 5 roster spots. 3 of those spots will be guys making around $1M or less. Blais, Mac, DLR, and Kostin, are fighting for 2 open forward spots. Mikkola should be one of the 7 D and he will make $785k. Even if you give Blais $1.25-1.5M (unlikely with his injury and lack of production since his return), you are talking about $3M to fill those 3 spots. That leaves $7M for Dunn and Scandella (or other D). There is just no reason to move guys to free up cap space if Petro isn't extended. I still think Petro will be extended, so I'm basing this analysis of that assumption.

People are acting like it is a lock that we move Allen, which I don't think is nearly as likely as this poll suggests. If we had to make the decision today, I'm not sure the Blues would be comfortable giving the NHL backup job to a 25 year old who is posting a .906 in the AHL. Husso needs to have a big couple months in order to prove that he is ready to be an NHL backup. Last year was a disaster for him. I was happy to chalk that up to injury, but this season has just not been what you want out of a guy you believe is ready to make the jump to the NHL. I'm not sold that the Blues trade Allen if they feel that they have to spend $2-2.5M on a UFA backup for next year. They could, but it is much less of a given than I thought it was 6 months ago.

I think Gunnar gets moved because Mikkola has earned a roster spot next year, Dunn shouldn't be going anywhere and I'd wager Scandella gets extended. Bortz makes about $400k less than Gunnar and provides a physical element that is not prevalent on our blue line. That combo makes him more likely to remain as our #7 D than Gunnar, so I think Gunnar is the odd man out. I could see us running Bortz+Gunnar as the 6+7 D men if Petro walks. But if Petro stays, the 2 of them are fighting for the #7 spot and I think Bortz wins that job.

I think Bozak is more likely to be moved than Steen simply because he is easier to move. He only has a 10 team no trade list and his actual salary is $750k less than his cap hit. He plays center and I think there would be plenty of teams interested in adding him to their middle 6. Steen's NTC complicates things (even though I have written at length about how it doesn't make him unmoveable over the summer). Steen has been good in the bottom 6 this year, playing well in a 3rd and 4th line role. He is respected/liked in the room and is still a huge part of the PK. ROR/Schenn/Thomas/Sunny have pushed Bozak to wing in our lineup, so I think the asset he can return makes him more likely to get moved.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
allen and either steen or bozak, depending on if cap goes up or not

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think Bozak and Gunnarsson will be moved. I could see Allen as well but he's been really good as a backup.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I agree with most on here and think Allen and Bozak are the 2 that will be gone. But i also do think Steen returns for his final season and remains a Blue next year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is it possible pietrangelo is waiting on signing because he wants doughty/karlson money?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is it possible pietrangelo is waiting on signing because he wants doughty/karlson money?
I doubt that. There has been talk around the Blues wanting to get the deal done with the cap hit starting with an eight, if the sides were so far apart in initial discussions then the discontent would likely be known.

The sides didn't really talk over the summer and the first real discussions where when the Blues were in Toronto early in the season. Both sides seem to want to wait, there has not been any media speculation to suggest otherwise. Bob McKenzie said coming into the season that Pietrangelo wants to stay, Armstrong wants to keep him... I think the most likely scenario right now is that they are waiting to sort the cap situation for next season before hammering out the details.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
If Jake Allen agrees to a much reduced contract, I'd keep him.
He can’t do that, though. The contract is guaranteed. His cap hit will be 4.35M next tear, just not on the Blues. The good thing is that he salvaged his season and now hopefully isn’t a negative asset. We won’t have to give anything up to move him, we just most likely won’t get anything in significant in return, which is fine.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
He can’t do that, though. The contract is guaranteed. His cap hit will be 4.35M next tear, just not on the Blues. The good thing is that he salvaged his season and now hopefully isn’t a negative asset. We won’t have to give anything up to move him, we just most likely won’t get anything in significant in return, which is fine.

He'll probably fetch something like Lehner did this TDL.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I picked Bozak and Allen

Allen because we will need to and with one year left, I am sure someone will be willing to take a chance on him for one year.

Bozak is a pretty good third line/ low end second line center that a team that needs center help should be willing to pay for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad