Speculation: Offseason Thread #10?: Whats the plan, Stan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
if im a GM, and someone offers me Chris Kreider for a first round draft pick...and im not one of the 5 worst teams in the NHL...id make that trade 1000 times out of 1000

Theres zero guarantee you'd pick anyone with his current talent level, leave alone his potential upside that he still possesses.

I really find it difficult to believe nobody would pony up for CK.

With that said, his one detriment is he's about to get paid...that should lower his value...but hes certainly worth more than a 1st rounder thats for damn sure.

For this exact reason I don't think it's enough.

If the Rangers were actually rebuilding maybe I'd think about it.

But even a pick as high as #14/15 is not enough for Kreider in my book.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers have 35 SPC'S. They re-sign their remaining 6 group II free agents in Kreider,Miller,Hayes, McIlrath,Hrivik and Hughes. 41. They still have so much room. I know they usually leave 1-3 SPC'S to maneuver with during the season. Not 9. They have a ton of flexibility. Hrivik and Hughes will see their qualifying offers expire on Friday.

This seems incredibly odd to me as well. It almost seems like he is leaving spots open for a reason. Maybe they move Nash at the deadline and assume they will be taking on multiple contracts in that possible transaction

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I could see them flipping Kreider for an RFA in a position of need like Dumba.

I would again not be a fan, not high on Dumba, but I could see how that would make sense to them. Though, I'm not sure it would for the Wild.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
For this exact reason I don't think it's enough.

If the Rangers were actually rebuilding maybe I'd think about it.

But even a pick as high as #14/15 is not enough for Kreider in my book.

Absolutely agree.

If we were going full rebuild, I would consider it. Otherwise, there isn't any point unless we are going to turn around and flip the pick to fill some other need. At that point, trading Kreider and hopefully Nash, our need would be a big winger.

There isn't any scenario where we trade him now that makes sense unless its a stupid over payment and don't think we will be trading with Montreal or Edmonton anytime soon.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
if im a GM, and someone offers me Chris Kreider for a first round draft pick...and im not one of the 5 worst teams in the NHL...id make that trade 1000 times out of 1000

Theres zero guarantee you'd pick anyone with his current talent level, leave alone his potential upside that he still possesses.

I really find it difficult to believe nobody would pony up for CK.

With that said, his one detriment is he's about to get paid...that should lower his value...but hes certainly worth more than a 1st rounder thats for damn sure.

You are 100% right. Teams trade 1st rounders for 20 game rental players that are not as good as Kreider.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I could see them flipping Kreider for an RFA in a position of need like Dumba.

I would again not be a fan, not high on Dumba, but I could see how that would make sense to them. Though, I'm not sure it would for the Wild.

Not really a need until Girardi or Staal are moved.

That reads wrong... It's a need, but this team has no reason to trade for Dumba if Girardi is still here eating minutes.

Why not just keep Kreider and play McIlrath?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not really a need until Girardi or Staal are moved.

That reads wrong... It's a need, but this team has no reason to trade for Dumba if Girardi is still here eating minutes.

Why not just keep Kreider and play McIlrath?

Dan Girardi is the Tanner Glass of defensemen. Except Dan makes 4 million more a year and is arguably worse than Tanner.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Look at Stepan's trend over his career, and then compare it to Kreiders. 1 is improving. And the other is just, kinda, staying the same. Actually, it's declining a bit.

I don't know if CK will score 30/30. But, I will tell you that even if he does pull that kind of season out of his ass, Dstep will still be the better, more effective and valuable NHL player.

If you were running a business and had an opening, are you giving that position to someone like Kreider? Someone 10 months younger who has failed to meet his expectations over and over and over? Or are you giving it to someone like Stepan, who produces more and has ultimately exceeded his expectations? Only a fool would pick Kreider over Stepan. Especially when you factor the only thing that matters in the real world.

Production.

Not, potential.

Wake me the **** up when CK actually makes a difference.

I seem to recall multiple playoff series wins in which Kreider was a dominant force. Kreider is what he is, but lets not pretend he isn't out there making an impact at all.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This seems incredibly odd to me as well. It almost seems like he is leaving spots open for a reason. Maybe they move Nash at the deadline and assume they will be taking on multiple contracts in that possible transaction

The Rangers would have signed the 16-17 versions of Adam,Megna and Gibbons by now. The AHL team is full of ELC players and AHL contracts with very few exceptions like Summers,Clendening and Hellberg. Maybe they plan on having Gerbe play in the AHL but he did not sign up for that. They could add a free agent forward on a tryout contract and sign the player after camp. They would need to have the cap and roster space for that.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Teams trade 1st rounders for 20 game rental players that are not as good as Kreider.

Not sure about that, Ladd was the only one who got a first this year.
Seems to me those ELCs became more valuable with most teams operating close to the cap.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Players like Antoine Vermette, Paul Gaustad, and a package of Santorelli/Franson brought back firsts.

Kreider is more valuable than all of those players combined IMO. There are maybe 4 or 5 players in the league with Kreider's combination of size, speed, and puck possession ability. If he was more of a threat on the PP, he'd be a 30-30 player IMO. As it stands, though, he's an excellent ES player and a definite top-6 forward who brings a unique element to his game.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Players like Antoine Vermette, Paul Gaustad, and a package of Santorelli/Franson brought back firsts.

Vermette was the 30th though and Gaustad was a nonsense trade and 4 years ago. Not sure what they thought when they gave the first for Franson and Santorelli too :laugh:

Don't get me wrong I don't say trade him for a first, just that GMs may hesitate to move those picks now than few years ago, so for me it's not that hard to believe what dagoon wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad