Offseason Roster Targets: LHD

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If they're trying to dump salary and are going full rebuild, what do they care if it's in division or not? If they're rebuilding, he'll be long retired before they're relevant again

I doubt the Bruins are going to go full rebuild unless the core fails again next year

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Buffalo could have gotten del zotto for free but instead opted for Mezaros and Strachan.

Del Zotto is not a big upgrade over what Meszaros or Strachan provided.

Are there any Leddy or Boychuk situations where a team will have a cap casualty to deal?

Johnny Oduya

Bingo - but, at age 33, I'm not sure the Sabres want him for where they're at.

With Bogosian, Gorges and Weber likely forming half of the defense corps next season, I don't really see the urgency to add more veteran experience. Pysyk and Ristolainen are obviously NHL-ready and I don't think Zadorov or McCabe are that far off either.

All that said, Sekera still fits in to the short and long term situation of this team so, so well, I'll be so please if we get him. Regardless, I'm now starting to think we should bring in two LHD, not just one.

I know it was under Regier & Ruff but I don't see Sekera wanting to return to Buffalo. He's gone through enough losing in Buffalo and Carolina - with slim pickings on the UFA market this summer, he may end up getting the richest deal with plenty of contenders looking at him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Per Tampa fans, Carle would be the likely odd man out should they move a d-man.

He has a limited NTC, so not sure what it entails

However, with only 3 years of term left, his cap hit is irrelevant as he'd be gone before we could potentially hit a cap issue. If we could get him for a 3rd or less, he'd probably rocket to the top of my list.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Why would a team that needs defense and has been grooming Oleksiak for what seems like forever trade him?

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Why would a team that needs defense and has been grooming Oleksiak for what seems like forever trade him?

I talked to Dallas fans about him on their board. Most Stars fans don't project him into their top 6 anytime soon. Those that do have him in the 3rd pairing.

I think he's available for the right offer, and that offer isn't too outlandish.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Notwithstanding that fact, I never thought it was a plausible scenario for either side.

Sekera's been on too many losing teams without a sniff of playoff success and given that he's clearly the best defenseman on the UFA market, he can pick from the cream of the crop of Cup contending suitors.

On the Sabres' end, I suspect that Murray would rather see how Ristolainen, Bogosian, Zadorov and Pysyk handle the top 4 roles each is expected to be capable of than to commit a 5-6 year contract to a 29-year old defender like Sekera that would have to take up one of the top 4 spots for that time span.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Notwithstanding that fact, I never thought it was a plausible scenario for either side.

Sekera's been on too many losing teams without a sniff of playoff success and given that he's clearly the best defenseman on the UFA market, he can pick from the cream of the crop of Cup contending suitors.
How many of them can afford him, though?

On the Sabres' end, I suspect that Murray would rather see how Ristolainen, Bogosian, Zadorov and Pysyk handle the top 4 roles each is expected to be capable of than to commit a 5-6 year contract to a 29-year old defender like Sekera that would have to take up one of the top 4 spots for that time span.
Well to that all I can say is I really hope you're wrong. Adding a top-4 dman is 100% the #1 need on this team, IMO.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Well to that all I can say is I really hope you're wrong. Adding a top-4 dman is 100% the #1 need on this team, IMO.

Here is the issue... Do you sign someone 29+ to a long contract.....Do you instead acquire one who has 2-3 yrs left on their contract....do you look at acquiring someone who is 22-25 but stuck behind players, or do you look at pure prospect acquisition?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Here is the issue... Do you sign someone 29+ to a long contract.....Do you instead acquire one who has 2-3 yrs left on their contract....do you look at acquiring someone who is 22-25 but stuck behind players, or do you look at pure prospect acquisition?

I've personally advocated for the "Sekera on a silly value short-term contract" myself, though others have disagreed with me. I think if you have a chance to acquire someone of Sekera's skill level, without compromising your future by locking huge dollars into his mid-30s, you do it. I'd also be open to older vets that are still good that can be bridge type guys. Either way, in my ideal world next year Pysyk is on the 3rd pairing and only one of Weber/McCabe/Zadorov is in the lineup.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Adding a top-4 dman is 100% the #1 need on this team, IMO.

I guess I'm more confident in the top 3 of Bogosian - Ristolainen - Pysyk and optimistic that Gorges will rebound next season to round out the top 4 for at least the next 1-2 years before either Zadorov or McCabe are ready to step in.

Where I'm more concerned over is adding offense to the forward ranks. Eichel, Kane and Reinhart will help support Ennis, Moulson and Girgensons but I'd like another RW with scoring touch and 2-way ability for the top 6.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I guess I'm more confident in the top 3 of Bogosian - Ristolainen - Pysyk and optimistic that Gorges will rebound next season to round out the top 4 for at least the next 1-2 years before either Zadorov or McCabe are ready to step in.

Where I'm more concerned over is adding offense to the forward ranks. Eichel, Kane and Reinhart will help support Ennis, Moulson and Girgensons but I'd like another RW with scoring touch and 2-way ability for the top 6.

1) On Pysyk: As promising as he looked, he's still young and I'd still prefer to break his first full NHL season in at a smaller role. I'd rather have him force his way up the depth chart than pegged right into a top-4 role.

2) On Georges: He looked like he was losing a step last year, isn't getting any younger, and is coming off a major injury. While he might be able to handle top-4 duties next year, by the time his contract is running out he should absolutely be a third pairing guy.

3) On forwards: I agree, we absolutely could add someone if there's a chance to significant upgrade the longterm viability of the ranks. But when I see three LWs (Kane, Moulson, Foligno), 6 potential centers (Eichel, Girgensons, Reinhart, Larsson, Grigorenko, Hodgson), and at least two RWs (Ennis, Gionta) with the potential to slide a center over to RW as well, I already see 12 guys competing for 9 top-9 spots. Again, nothing wrong with upgrading, but considering all of those guys I listed (except Reinhart and Eichel) are waiver exposed (as opposed to McCabe and Zadorov who can go down) I don't see RW as big of a need.

I guess it's just a matter of I see our forward guys as further along in their development than McCabe and Zadorov and think it's time to give them a real chance to win playing time. Also, one hole at RW won't completely break the team. One hole in your top-4 on defense can turn a bubble team into a good odds lotto ball team.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I hope that facepalm is for the offer not being enough for Brodie because if you think that's an overpayment you are totally wrong. I know your a Pysyk fan boy but Brodie is a 24 year old proven #1 dman. He's signed long term to a steal of a contract and he can be the ppqb. He fits two needs at once. A lhd and a pp qb who can put up 40-50 points.

And usually a post containing a smiley and nothing else isn't allowed. Next time elaborate on what you disagree with.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I hope that facepalm is for the offer not being enough for Brodie because if you think that's an overpayment you are totally wrong. I know your a Pysyk fan boy but Brodie is a 24 year old proven #1 dman. He's signed long term to a steal of a contract and he can be the ppqb. He fits two needs at once. A lhd and a pp qb who can put up 40-50 points.

And usually a post containing a smiley and nothing else isn't allowed. Next time elaborate on what you disagree with.

Want elaboration?
1) Brodie isn't even the # 1 defenseman on his own team - Giordiano is.
2) Flames have no reason to trade their # 2 guy in Brodie when their defense is thin after Giordiano, Brodie and Russell.
3) Sabres won't likely give up such a huge package for a defenseman when they need a goalie and scoring more.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I very much like Risto and Bogo and have high hopes for Zads. I think Weber is ok if you play him as a 5/6. Gorges is too slow for the game now. Pysyk has skills but he is neither a shut down D nor a ppqb. McCabe and Ruhwedel rank behind those guys. Bottom line---with the thin D prospects I would like to address this through the draft because I think we are still 2 or 3 years from being a contender--so why put out our future to win a few more games now that are meaningless and will both mean our prospects do not get as much ice time and our prospect pipeline/depth takes a hit? To get a young star through trade we will pay through the nose. That said if cap issues can get us a top 4 LD under 28 without touching our core then where do I sign?

I am not ready to look for a number one goalie via trade or high draft pick. Too risky and too many good choices without doing that.

We need finishers. Guys with a nose for the net and the grit and skill to get to the part of the ice they need to get to score. We have a lot of "they could be ok" guys. If Murray takes a flyer and it does not pan out then so be it. But not until round 2. We need to take a holistic approach to the team. Look at Erie--McDavid, Strome, Baptiste, De Brincat etc... but Oshawa with size and a good defensive game plan has limited the number of chances.

I cannot wait for the playoffs to be over so that we can focus on the draft, free agency, etc. I never thought I would say that.....

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I very much like Risto and Bogo and have high hopes for Zads. I think Weber is ok if you play him as a 5/6. Gorges is too slow for the game now. Pysyk has skills but he is neither a shut down D nor a ppqb. McCabe and Ruhwedel rank behind those guys. Bottom line---with the thin D prospects I would like to address this through the draft because I think we are still 2 or 3 years from being a contender--so why put out our future to win a few more games now that are meaningless and will both mean our prospects do not get as much ice time and our prospect pipeline/depth takes a hit? To get a young star through trade we will pay through the nose. That said if cap issues can get us a top 4 LD under 28 without touching our core then where do I sign?

I am not ready to look for a number one goalie via trade or high draft pick. Too risky and too many good choices without doing that.

We need finishers. Guys with a nose for the net and the grit and skill to get to the part of the ice they need to get to score. We have a lot of "they could be ok" guys. If Murray takes a flyer and it does not pan out then so be it. But not until round 2. We need to take a holistic approach to the team. Look at Erie--McDavid, Strome, Baptiste, De Brincat etc... but Oshawa with size and a good defensive game plan has limited the number of chances.

I cannot wait for the playoffs to be over so that we can focus on the draft, free agency, etc. I never thought I would say that.....

I agree with much of what you said, especially the need to add d in the draft. On the bolded though, a shutdown dman is exactly what Pysyk projects as.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad