Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread - Trades, Signings, Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Would u guys pull the trigger if Avs offer 1st OA to Hanifin?

I'm not too familiar with the top prospects Hischier and Patrick. All I've heard is that they are not Eichel Matthews caliber.

Trading Hanifin immediately opens a hole in our top 4, of which 3 out of 4 guys will still be on their ELCs next year. Having that cheap, homegrown top 4 together for one more season before having to pay up to keep them together, is a priority for GMRF IMHO.

Also, if Hanifin is on the table, it's for a player who can contribute right away, not someone who can contribute in 2-3 years. From my understanding, it may be a bit forward to think that either Patrick or Hischier would be able to contribute on an NHL roster next year.

I think you see a trade of Fluery/Bean packaged with a pick or picks for a proven top 6 guy this offseason. I'd like to see that guy be Duchene, but as others have stated, after Matty-boy's season this year, there's no way he returns a player of Hanifin's pedigree/potential.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Carolina should have tanked instead of barely missing the playoffs.

Barely missing the playoffs guarantees a lousy draft pick and, in my opinion, makes a season an even greater failure than just a plain ol' bad one.

F-

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Have you even taken a look at this years draft? Tanking is just a flat out horrible idea this year. The best that Patrick can hope to be is a more injured version of Keith Primeau, and nobody knows what to expect of Hischier. He was great at the WJCs but his scoring really slowed down late this season.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Just going to leave this right here. Ryan White vs. Skinner's two most common centers without him the last 2 seasons at 5v5. Imagine what White could do with Jeff Skinner.

Ryan White: 0.60 Goals/60 min; 1.12 Points/60 min
Victor Rask: 0.57 Goals/60 min; 1.21 Points/60 min
Derek Ryan: 0.42 Goals/60 min; 0.69 Points/60 min

And how are White's numbers when you remove his most common topscoring linemate?

Are you drunk? I can't even tell if you're leveling us with these posts, which is not your MO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And how are White's numbers when you remove his most common topscoring linemate?

Are you drunk? I can't even tell if you're leveling us with these posts, which is not your MO.

C'mon Rod, I really didn't think I needed the :sarcasm:

But after I ran the numbers, it's kind of depressing how bad Rask and Ryan are without Skinner.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Okay, let me give my pipedream scenario:

Trade 2018 1st, our 2017 2nd, and Valentin Zykov to MN for Nino Niederreiter and AZ's 4th.
Trade Jordan Staal, Justin Faulk, and the Rangers 2017 2nd rounder to NYR for Derek Stepan, Mika Zibanejad, and Ryan Gropp (they could include Kevin Klein as a cap dump)
Trade one of Eddie Lack or Cam Ward and a 2018 3rd round pick for Marc-Andre Fleury
Sign Kevin Shattenkirk
Sign Viktor Stalberg

Aho/Stepan/Lindholm
Skinner/Rask/Neiderreiter
PDG/Zibanejad/Teravainen
Stalberg/Wallmark/Nordstrom

Slavin/Pesce
Hanifin/Shattenkirk
Fleury/Klein

MAF
Ward (most likely)

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
42283819.jpg

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Okay, let me give my pipedream scenario:

Trade 2018 1st, our 2017 2nd, and Valentin Zykov to MN for Nino Niederreiter and AZ's 4th.
Trade Jordan Staal, Justin Faulk, and the Rangers 2017 2nd rounder to NYR for Derek Stepan, Mika Zibanejad, and Ryan Gropp (they could include Kevin Klein as a cap dump)
Trade one of Eddie Lack or Cam Ward and a 2018 3rd round pick for Marc-Andre Fleury
Sign Kevin Shattenkirk
Sign Viktor Stalberg

Aho/Stepan/Lindholm
Skinner/Rask/Neiderreiter
PDG/Zibanejad/Teravainen
Stalberg/Wallmark/Nordstrom

Slavin/Pesce
Hanifin/Shattenkirk
Fleury/Klein

MAF
Ward (most likely)

April fools was 6 days ago, you're a bit late

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
To get some grit and toughness there is no need to sign a guy like Polak, there are better options for sure who would come to Carolina.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ideally, I'd like to see a center added to this team so Rask doesn't have to play the hard minutes. He's not really even a 2C, much less a poor man's 1C. Keep him at 3C with easy match-ups. Duchene would be ideal if he was signed for longer. Yeah, I know he's had a down year but I chalk that up to being on a crappy team with all the drama of him knowing his days are numbered. I'd try to get Stalberg back as well and would get Aho and Lindholm off of Jordan's line to get more offense out of them. Assuming Stempniak is gone:

Aho-Duchene-Lindholm: Responsible defensively, but free to create offense.
xxx-Staal-xxx: Takes the tough matchups, can chip in some offensively.
Skinner-Rask-Teravainen: Feast on easy matchups.
Nordstrom-xxx-Stalberg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ideally, I'd like to see a center added to this team so Rask doesn't have to play the hard minutes. He's not really even a 2C, much less a poor man's 1C. Keep him at 3C with easy match-ups. Duchene would be ideal if he was signed for longer. Yeah, I know he's had a down year but I chalk that up to being on a crappy team with all the drama of him knowing his days are numbered. I'd try to get Stalberg back as well and would get Aho and Lindholm off of Jordan's line to get more offense out of them. Assuming Stempniak is gone:

Aho-Duchene-Lindholm: Responsible defensively, but free to create offense.
xxx-Staal-xxx: Takes the tough matchups, can chip in some offensively.
Skinner-Rask-Teravainen: Feast on easy matchups.
Nordstrom-xxx-Stalberg

The ***** of it is the guy who makes that work perfectly well is the Eric Staal that showed up in Minnesota this year.

Instead of giving up a lot for Duchene or whoever else.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unless a team throws in the towel on day 1, like Toronto did last year and Buffalo did a couple years ago, there is really no such thing as "tanking". The players on the ice are going to try to win every game. Some of them are fighting for a roster spot, some of them are fighting for a contract, and all of them are insanely competitive and have a lot of pride or they would have never made it to the NHL. I guarantee you that even the Toronto players an Buffalo players still gave 100%, just that the management put a bad team on the ice.

Tanking by players late in the season is a figment of fans imagination.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Unless a team throws in the towel on day 1, like Toronto did last year and Buffalo did a couple years ago, there is really no such thing as "tanking". The players on the ice are going to try to win every game. Some of them are fighting for a roster spot, some of them are fighting for a contract, and all of them are insanely competitive and have a lot of pride or they would have never made it to the NHL. I guarantee you that even the Toronto players an Buffalo players still gave 100%, just that the management put a bad team on the ice.

I am not sure Toronto did that last year from the start, because they were at playoff postion in early January I think? Or end of December. But after that they sucked hard and did give up, I think it was when they lost JVR

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

I think you're giving players too much credit with regards to compete and motivation levels. If that was the case, why are we seeing the effort we are from our players right now? Yeah, they're not trying to lose, but they're just running through the motions, similar to what those Avs guys have been doing for 75% of the season.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The Fleury one is fine, but the other two are god awful.

While I was mostly just doing that for ***** and giggles, I'm not sure the value is that far off, now that I look at it.

Plus, the more I think about what BBA said a few days ago about having a feeling that Jordan might not want to play here anymore, the more inclined I'd be to try and get something of value for him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Let me just say, since it's relevant here, that the trade board makes me wish I could ban people for stupidity and lack of logic.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Trade Rask for Duchene. Get Jagr and Stalberg in FA, get a decent journeyman D for the 3rd pair, fill in blanks with rookies. If we're lucky, 2 of those big 3 forward prospects (Roy, Gauther, Saarela) will be ready for the NHL, but it seems likely that at least one of them will be.

Skinner-Duchene-rookie (Gauthier?)
Aho-Staal-Ryan or rookie (Saarela, Roy)
TT-Lindy-Jagr
Stalberg-rookie (Wallmark?)-Nordy
McGinn, PDG

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
rookie (Fleury, Carrick or McKeown)-journeyman D (Seidenberg?)
Tennyson?

and get some goalies that don't suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad