Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread - Trades, Signings, Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
For my part, I certainly agree with the don't trade any of the current top four for him, mainly because of the contract situation. But I also think that on the other end, Bean/Fleury + 1st, or less as some seem to think, won't be quite enough to get it done.

I'm not all in on Duchene as the only option. I just hope if one of our playoff spot rivals get him, that we've added multiple pieces to improve this team and we get continued improvement from our youth and prospects, because I think the risk of Duchene being done is incredibly overstated. Time will tell.

The risks of getting Duchene are very apparent because most fans understand the value of they players they would be losing.

The risks of not getting him are harder to realize. Things like the prospects maybe being moved for less than full value due to over crowded blue line (see TBL and their forwards) and then there is the question of where to get another high end center. Maybe try and move up in the draft this year and outside of that who knows. You could try and get a project guy like RNH and hope for the best but that not the best plan ever. High end centers are tough to get and its pretty tough to go far without them. MTL, CBJ, STL and Min are good examples of that. They all have incredble D but have struggled to get far in the playoffs despite very strong teams.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
How could you possibly NOT see the risk, coming off a season like that?

Because I'm not a journalist trying to write a hit piece.

There is no trend or substantiating evidence for claims like that.

The statement "players will score less playing with bad players than they will win good ones" isn't that drastic of a concept

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Because I'm not a journalist trying to write a hit piece.

And I am?

Look you'd be foolish to look at what happened to that guy last season and not have at least some worry that he's damaged goods.

Jeff O'Neill's game fell apart at age 28, oh he's just on a bad team, right. Leafs signed him, he never really recovered and was done by age 31.

Sami Kapanen's game fell apart at age 28, oh he's just on a bad team, trade him to Philly where he can re-ignite his career, nope, didn't happen, he never scored more than 12 goals or 34 points in any season after that.

There are literally dozens of examples just like that throughout the league.

It happens. I'm not saying that I KNOW that's going to happen to Duchene, but nor do I think it's so out of the realm of possibility that acquiring him presents no risk whatsoever.

On the other hand, he presents a nice "buy low" opportunity, and if the Avs front office comes to their senses and understands that nobody's going to give them top value because of the above, I think we need to be first in line.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean, of course there are examples of guys that fell apart. And of course there are examples of guys who came back to be good again after poor seasons. Just seems odd for so many to seem very certain, or think there is so much risk. He did have 22 points in his first 26 games. It just seems kind of odd timing for him to have fallen off a cliff never to return when it wasn't even his entire season that sucked and with seemingly no other factors. Having watched him as much as I have, I still think he has every bit as much skill as he did before, and he just had a very bad finish to the season on a team that was awful with trade rumors swirling about him.

Of course I wouldn't give up one of our big time dmen, but I'd easily add something to the 1st + Fleury/Bean to get him. If he doesn't work out to be a 1C anymore, I still think he'd be productive enough to give our offense a boost, and it's the one scenario where his two years left on his contract would be a positive as he wouldn't become an albatross. Even though we'd lose good assets, I think whatever small risk there is, it's more than worth taking.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Of course I wouldn't give up one of our big time dmen, but I'd easily add something to the 1st + Fleury/Bean to get him.

I guess we must be talking past each other or something, because we aren't even really disagreeing at this point. The fact we're talking about a 1st and Fleury/Bean shows that.

Because if we knew with reasonable certainty that we were talking about getting 30 goal 60 points Duchene, we'd all be packing Noah Hanifin's **** up for him right now. Obviously.

Personally, though, I'd prefer that we were involved in whatever is supposedly going on with the Blackhawks right now. Anisimov + Kruger for a prospect and a pick would be a great move right now, even if we had to pay off LV to keep their hands out of our kool aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad