Offseason GDT III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 37m37 minutes ago
Sorry Kings fans, dont go looking for "big name" dman to be target of Kings focus. Think more like McNabb deal... player w/ <130 NHL gms
----------------------------
Folin and Pysyk would fit that profile. Not that I would be particularly interested in either.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, aside from what I knew of him and his pedigree, watching Folin a few times last season gave me a 'holy ****, this guy is good' vibe. FWIW. He is what people want LaDue to be, but bigger. Though I don't know how fast LaDue looks at the pro level to be fair to him.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
There goes Yandle . Deans plans are getting wrecked.

The trade for Lucic is hurting little more. Maybe now theyll revisit trying to get a deal done. There are no other dmen on the narket that stand out to me and we dont have any trade chips.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Would rather have Pysyk, who has more NHL experience. Buffalo's RHD spots are filled with Risto-Bogosian-Franson. I don't care how "big" the name is on D, I just care that they solidify the top 4 again.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I fully expect the Kings to fill holes mostly with the rookies.

I much prefer that. Let these guys grow with the rest of the core, that's what happened with Muzzin, Martinez, Lewis, King, Clifford, Toffoli, Pearson, Nolan, Andreoff, etc.

And before them it was Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Quick who had to forge an identity in the pros, of course it came quicker for some exceptional players, but the point remains, it's good to have a core group remain intact for a number of years.

That is ultimately what creates an identity for the team, it creates leaders, and it builds a cohesive unit.

Since 2014, too many faces have come and gone, so it would be ideal for the team to return to a stable state in bringing in players from within as opposed to bringing in a bunch of outsiders who have to learn a new system and get used to a new culture.

And that's why I'm not too keen on Lombardi being an active shopper in free agency. These UFA prices are exorbitant. Focus on re-signing Toffoli this offseason, maybe wait to see which players in the open market really want to come play here, like Willie Mitchell did when he was signed. That's about as far as I'd go when it comes to signing players.

Forget the big names who are going to be looking at $5M+ contracts. The Kings are already handcuffed by two bad contracts in Brown and Gaborik, the team doesn't need to add anymore of those deals that will restrict the team from making further improvements down the road.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Said it before, and i'll say it again, I won't be shocked if someone (looking at you western Canada) gives him 7x7.

With Looch looking at big numbers and Yandle over 6, have to wonder if it isn't just worth it to go after Stamkos for a little bit more. :naughty:

That and if the Kings go young there'll be plenty of space.

Sorry Kings fans, dont go looking for "big name" dman to be target of Kings focus. Think more like McNabb deal... player w/ <130 NHL gms
Folin and Pysyk would fit that profile. Not that I would be particularly interested in either.

Well... if this is true then the Kings are running 3 top 4 D next year, and looking at guys that might grow into a top 4 role in a couple of years.

Tells you all you need to know about the direction of the team and the timeline.

Edit: Maybe it's time to go after Hartnell and Datsyuk.

Last edited:

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I think we have the quota of bad (ok, questionable) Sabres defensman filled... I would rather see the Kings prospects given a chance, rather then this ******** of acquiring bottom pairing defensman that don't improve the team one bit...

Frankly, the way DL blew the assets the last couple of years would make George Maguire proud.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
There goes Yandle . Deans plans are getting wrecked.

The trade for Lucic is hurting little more. Maybe now theyll revisit trying to get a deal done. There are no other dmen on the narket that stand out to me and we dont have any trade chips.

How do you even know the Kings were going to go after Yandle? You don't, so how do you know if Yandle signing is wrecking Deans plans? :shakehead

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
I hope Severson is the guy, if there is a way to get him without TP or TT going back. He is exactly what we need, $600k cap hit is a bonus.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hope Severson is the guy, if there is a way to get him without TP or TT going back. He is exactly what we need, $600k cap hit is a bonus.

agreed, but I do not see how LA can get a deal done with the devils because the players they want I hope DL would not want to give up

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Would you do Kempe for Severson?

Severson plus one of New Jersey's 3rd roudn picks maybe.

I don't know, part of me just wants this team to stay as is to see what we got. Maybe bring in a UFA as they cost nothing more than $$ but no actual assets. I owuld be perfectly fine for LA to go into next year with it's current roster (which I think is a playoff team) and then have cap space to pick up guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad