Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That edit is considered sacrilege to the Pens organization and media. Josh Yohe would have stern words for you if he saw that.
I would love to have a sit down podcast discussion in a locked room with Yohe, Rossi, DK, etc where they couldn't leave if they got upset.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Jacques Martin is probably out in Ottawa, would definitely welcome him back with open arms.

We need to accept that Sully is riding out his contract here, best we can hope for is an overhaul of the assistants.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I would love to have a sit down podcast discussion in a locked room with Yohe, Rossi, DK, etc where they couldn't leave if they got upset.
Just ask them to explain strategy and the podcast would get quiet, except for the host.

"It seems all three of my guests have convulsed and are now in the fetal position on the floor...and now a word from our sponsor, Factor."

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jacques Martin is probably out in Ottawa, would definitely welcome him back with open arms.

We need to accept that Sully is riding out his contract here, best we can hope for is an overhaul of the assistants.
Absolutely not.
Just ask them to explain strategy and the podcast would get quiet, except for the host.

"It seems all three of my guests have convulsed and are now in the fetal position on the floor...and now a word from our sponsor, Factor."
I wouldn't be that cruel. Course I'd have the "You figure out what the F3 does yet?" ready.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
IMO, we’ll have to get ready for the exact same parade of buffoons behind our bench in October… :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :banghead: :banghead:

When/if that occurs, I hope ticket sales absolutely f***ing plummet (as fast as we will be, in the standings)….

I think that will be the only way that those FSG f***heads do anything, once the money train stops rolling.. :rolleyes:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd take Martin back but I don't see us firing anybody and expecting changes to happen like it was a fluke year with the PP. Roster changes will happen but not very many and we will suffer again next season with our eyes closed crossing our fingers.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It’ll be the same old garbage with the same old excuses/zero accountability except everyone will be a year older/more injury prone.

Aside from postgame highlights, I’m glad I’ve 95% checked out from watching this arrogant, self-inflicted, dumpster fire of complacent pretenders/passengers a few years back as I’ve said.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Dude literally coached a Letang-less defense to a cup in 17 and you don't want him back?
At least one of the assistants needs to be the type who challenges Sullivan, like Tocchet was. Can't have 2-3 yes men again.
There's also the distinct possibility that Martin would be much worse now. That was 7 years ago. After getting his Cups, the hunger may be gone, just like what happened with Sullivan.
Martin is 71. Is he still motivated and does he have the daily energy to coach that well again? That's asking a lot.
It would likely just end up being a nostalgia tour where everyone is too comfortable and familiar, just like the last 2 years.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I see the local “media” attacking Smith again for not wanting to be here. Now, Dubas can dump him to another team for pennies and be praised by the local media.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I too am resigned to the fact that Sullivan will be behind the bench until HE wants to stop. It is what it is. I stopped watching this team when I was NOT resigned to this fact, but now I have moved on. Dubas is making this team interesting again. Maddening still, yes. But interesting. I don't trust him per se, but I have a little more faith that he can get the job done.

But yeah, the rest of the coaches should not be slam dunks to return. We need new ideas behind the bench, and fresh faces. An associate coach would be nice (I don't mind Vellucci, but I don't mind change here either), and for the love of Alexei Kovalev, can we get a new PP please? Nothing worked this year, which is actually ridiculously hard to do considering the personnel they had to work with.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dude literally coached a Letang-less defense to a cup in 17 and you don't want him back?
Mike Sullivan won b2b cups. We keeping him too based on accomplishments 7 years ago?

He was here from 2013 to 2020. At no point were were considered a strong defensive team. I don't think it was Martin's expert defensive coaching strategy that won us 2017. I remember in 2017 having significant issues clearing the zone, especially in the Nashville and Capitals series.

I don't want retreads. At all. Unless its Tocchet but that's not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad