Offseason - Are we going to Overpay for a Bottom 6 FA

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Stone is obviously gone. Good chance that one of Duchene or Panarin resign in Columbus. Tons of teams will be going after Panarin.

Is this elite management crew going to do another MacDonald/Weisse and pay a fortune for at best a bottom 6 player? If Panarin signs elsewhere, there are not a ton of free agents that interest me. Zuccarello, whom I love, will be 31, Nyquist will be 30, Hayes will probably get overpaid, Skinner probably resigns in Buffalo, Karlsson probably resigns in San Jose, so who do we sign? Who do we trade?

I think Hextall choice of coaches, Gordon and Hakstoll, were atrocious and his stubborness was a legitimate reason to can him. But I am not optimistic this GM has a plan and knows how to draft.

Who would you try to sign if Panarin and Duchene sign elsewhere?

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
trade for kappanen at the draft and call it a day. time to play the kids. sign no one and keep the cap space for when it's really needed.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
trade for kappanen at the draft and call it a day. time to play the kids. sign no one and keep the cap space for when it's really needed.
The kids all aren’t going to need the 35 million in cap space we have.

The flyers should be big game hunting either free agent or trade wise. They have the assets and we don’t need to wait around another two years for their first rounder to crack an nhl lineup.

Hopefully there will be some big names on some teams that are wanting to shake it up.

Panarin is for sure going to free agency. Take a run at him. If Karlsson gets there, he’s my first choice.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Fletcher said there might be like 6 kids going to the AHL, on top the of the ones they have already.

Signing anybody into the bottom 6 would be a real waste of assets. Put all of the energy into Panarin or Karlsson (should he get there), or maybe use the cap flexibility to pull talent away from Toronto/Tampa who will be tight in the cap.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
The kids all aren’t going to need the 35 million in cap space we have.

The flyers should be big game hunting either free agent or trade wise. They have the assets and we don’t need to wait around another two years for their first rounder to crack an nhl lineup.

Hopefully there will be some big names on some teams that are wanting to shake it up.

Panarin is for sure going to free agency. Take a run at him. If Karlsson gets there, he’s my first choice.
i appreciate your opinion, but don't think fletcher can do any of what you want and the big game won't want to come here anyway.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
i appreciate your opinion, but don't think fletcher can do any of what you want and the big game won't want to come here anyway.
Give free agents money and sell the city to them and they will come.

If you don’t land a free agent then target a guy like Trouba. There are others out there too, usually who we aren’t aware of yet. The flyers I can bet will be reported as one of the busier teams this summer. They are going to pitch what Hart brings and how they can contend immediately with top talent. If they do get one of the big fish and still under perform, that’s where I see them making major changes.

Reactions: BobbyClarkeFan16

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Stone is obviously gone. Good chance that one of Duchene or Panarin resign in Columbus. Tons of teams will be going after Panarin.

Is this elite management crew going to do another MacDonald/Weisse and pay a fortune for at best a bottom 6 player? If Panarin signs elsewhere, there are not a ton of free agents that interest me. Zuccarello, whom I love, will be 31, Nyquist will be 30, Hayes will probably get overpaid, Skinner probably resigns in Buffalo, Karlsson probably resigns in San Jose, so who do we sign? Who do we trade?

I think Hextall choice of coaches, Gordon and Hakstoll, were atrocious and his stubborness was a legitimate reason to can him. But I am not optimistic this GM has a plan and knows how to draft.

Who would you try to sign if Panarin and Duchene sign elsewhere?

Sign or trade. You have to see what teams collapse in the playoffs and look to make moves in the offseason.

Guys like Nylander, Trouba, Hoffman.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Give free agents money and sell the city to them and they will come.

If you don’t land a free agent then target a guy like Trouba. There are others out there too, usually who we aren’t aware of yet. The flyers I can bet will be reported as one of the busier teams this summer. They are going to pitch what Hart brings and how they can contend immediately with top talent. If they do get one of the big fish and still under perform, that’s where I see them making major changes.
i hope you're right,but i don't trust fletcher and we heard this same thing last year. got jvr as a big signing, mismanagement is a big issue with this team. spending to sign players is ok if they fit, spending to get a big name to please fickle fans is not. the biggest thing, for me anyway, is getting a better coaching staff. not throwing money at players.

Reactions: sa cyred

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Scott is going to want a big name. I see a similar offseason to what Homer had in 07. A Briere type signing, adding a Kimmo or Hartnell via trade, etc

The days of Hextalls trash signings are over. Fletch will prob overpay on a star but at least itll be a good player.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Fletcher will definitely try to make a big splash. There's really no excuse to not come up with a big name.

Since Fletcher had so many chummy talks with Dubas I'm sure he's not going to offer sheet Marner. But maybe they'll work out a deal for Kapanen or Nylander.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
With Stone in Vegas, it certainly makes it tougher to land one of the top UFA's. I see Duchene staying in CBJ and the odds of Panarin coming here just aren't good.

I hope Fletcher throws a huge package at one of the upcoming high end RFA's if they aren't able to work something out with their current team's. This organization needs to make a big splash or two.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
One of Panarin or Karlsson would be amazing. This team should be up against the cap for the next 5 years

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher should be exploring multiple avenues:

1) FA is probably not worth it if the big names are gone, unless you can do what Hextall tried to do last summer, overpay on a short deal for a quality veteran to buy time for the kids to mature - LHV will be loaded, but most of those players are either bottom six or a year or two away. But no 5 year deals to players 30 or over.

2) The trade route to reshape the roster, not so much try to 'steal' someone but land a RHD, maybe a top 6 RW to pair with Frost.

3) Pick up a serviceable bottom six player on a short-term deal or minor trade who's an upgrade over Varone, Bailey, etc. You need to go 13-14 deep over a full season.

NateThompson44

<3 APPLEYARD <3
Feb 16, 2019
London
1) FA is probably not worth it if the big names are gone, unless you can do what Hextall tried to do last summer, overpay on a short deal for a quality veteran to buy time for the kids to mature - LHV will be loaded, but most of those players are either bottom six or a year or two away. But no 5 year deals to players 30 or over.
Like Johansson or Eberle?

2) The trade route to reshape the roster, not so much try to 'steal' someone but land a RHD, maybe a top 6 RW to pair with Frost.
What RHD would even be available?

3) Pick up a serviceable bottom six player on a short-term deal or minor trade who's an upgrade over Varone, Bailey, etc. You need to go 13-14 deep over a full season.
meh.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
If they can find a good 3/4 center in free agency, I’d be happy. It’s probably easier to let frost come in on the wing and run giroux, coots and Patrick with the new free agent anchoring the forth line. Also, the bottom six guys we have definitely are more winger than center.

I think the only way fletcher makes a real impact move is a trade. Trouba just seems like something that could happen.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
They absolutely not under any circumstances now with Hartman in the fold sign a bottom 6 player this offseason.

The only FA I would bother with at this point are Karlsson and Panarin

The only other options I’m seeing right now are to get one of Toronto’s forwards but it depends on the price. I don’t think its worth paying through the nose for one of them.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I don't think either Duchene or Panarin stays in Columbus.

I'd love either of them, not sure Duchene fits because of his position but if he can play wing sign me up. His speed is exactly what this lineup needs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They absolutely not under any circumstances now with Hartman in the fold sign a bottom 6 player this offseason.

Third line quality players are fine, what we don't need are more marginal guys like the ones we already have at LHV, who are soon to be pushed aside.

Laughton as our 9th forward has 20 ES points playing 12:09
Raffl 12 ES points (48 games) playing 10:18
Weise 10 ES points (42 games) playing 10:28
Varone, 7 ES points (32 games) playing 7:32

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
It would be nice to trade for a top 6 forward but you'd have to get rid of a lot to do that. Maybe you can take advantage of the Maple Leafs cap situation and bring in a player like Kapanen for picks. The Flyers do have a lot of talent coming up through the pipeline though so it'll be interesting how fast they start to reach their potential.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
How about first they hire a real NHL coaching staff and then go from there? Crazy talk I know, but with that said the Bread Man nor EK65 are signing here, if they chase one of the kids from Toronto it will most likely cost Ghost/Sanheim, I’d like the Flyers to lose the trash first, then maybe they can figure something out trade wise that won’t set the team back

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I know this ain't going to be popular on here at all but going and paying big bucks for a free agent now is an ass backwards way of thinking .
First you want to build from within and when you start having success then you aquire a big asset to try and help put you over the top . Aquiring a big free agent now before the winning begins and having to pay the kids will tie up big cap space and limit what you can aquire when the time is right .
I know most are in i want to win now mode but there is a right way to do it , and a wrong . And yes a good coach is # 1 on my list .

Reactions: Bruckuss

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
A new coach and coaching staff at both the NHL and AHL levels is a must. Said coaching combo should be in constant communication with each other as to what type of system they are going to use. It makes it easier that when players are called up, they know the terminology and what type of system is being used.

As for the initial topic, in terms of bottom six guys, I think the only thing the Flyers will need will be a number 4 center. I'd like to see Brian Boyle as the number 4 guy. Let him play with Laughton and NAK as his wingers. Let Raffl walk and there's no real need to do anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad