Offseason Amnesty buyout for Umberger?

Michael Smitley

Casual Fan
Aug 25, 2012
Sylvania, OH
We aren't exactly hurting for cap space so I don't see a reason to amnesty him.

I'd rather pay him and have him be a productive energy guy than pay him to play somewhere else.

My favorite scenario has the Jackets and Umberger sitting down to draft a replacement contract for less pay and fewer years on the basis that RJ would rather stay in columbus than be bought out to play for a different team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My favorite scenario has the Jackets and Umberger sitting down to draft a replacement contract for less pay and fewer years on the basis that RJ would rather stay in columbus than be bought out to play for a different team.

There's no such thing as a replacement contract. No re-negotiations. One possible exception is if RJ is waived and he refuses to report to Springfield, then there is precedent for voiding his current deal (according to Elliotte Friedman this happened with Vincent Riendeau). But that was about 15 years ago, there is probably a good reason it hasn't happened since.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There's no such thing as a replacement contract. No re-negotiations. One possible exception is if RJ is waived and he refuses to report to Springfield, then there is precedent for voiding his current deal (according to Elliotte Friedman this happened with Vincent Riendeau). But that was about 15 years ago, there is probably a good reason it hasn't happened since.

Tim Thomas :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad