Offseason Amnesty buyout for Umberger?

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I was reading the line combo thread and noticed we seem to have a respectable amount of forward depth now. Any chance the Jackets buy out Umberger after the season? Doing so would free up four million plus in cap space. His production could be very easily replaced by a much cheaper free agent. In most proposed lines he was on the third line. Four million is an insane amount of coin for a third liner that was part of a leadership group that quit on two coaches.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I was reading the line combo thread and noticed we seem to have a respectable amount of forward depth now. Any chance the Jackets buy out Umberger after the season? Doing so would free up four million plus in cap space. His production could be very easily replaced by a much cheaper free agent. In most proposed lines he was on the third line. Four million is an insane amount of coin for a third liner that was part of a leadership group that quit on two coaches.

I would say odds are low.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Very low. It makes no sense to pay him to play for someone else and the CBJ aren't up against the cap so the cap relief isn't useful.

If anything happens, it would be a trade, IMO, with some retained salary by the CBJ.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
24 hours ago, I'd have said no way.

But seeing that Kekalainen seems to be bolder then the guy we'd expect hearing that "brick by brick" line every 15 minutes, it's not out of the question. Still wouldn't hold my breath though.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Umby was a third liner when we bought him. Lets see if staying third line, with flexibility to fill in if we have top 6 injuries, fits him to the next deadline. If it doesn't, and we can find a rental for him, it's worth it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Umby was a third liner when we bought him. Lets see if staying third line, with flexibility to fill in if we have top 6 injuries, fits him to the next deadline. If it doesn't, and we can find a rental for him, it's worth it.

I think that's 100% of the problem, playing him too high in the lineup.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I think that's 100% of the problem, playing him too high in the lineup.

Yep, relative to the ever improving roster RJ is going to find it difficult to justify his golden contract.. He probably won't be bought out this summer but if he plays well next season I could see him traded at the deadline... or not.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Unlikely, IMO.

Don't think his salary is a concern, even versus decreased production. Not at this juncture, anyway. Only thing would be is if he's taking a roster spot from someone they'd rather give it to. And as others have said, there are other ways to try and accomplish that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think this thread has quickly reached an accurate conclusion.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I think Umberger is overrated and paid way too much for what he brings to this team. A trade would be nice, but the CBJ would certainly have to eat a portion of the contract.

I don't think anyone knows yet what kind of payroll this club will have this summer. And I could certainly see a scenario where Umberger and or Wiz getting bought out.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think Umberger is overrated and paid way too much for what he brings to this team. A trade would be nice, but the CBJ would certainly have to eat a portion of the contract.

I don't think anyone knows yet what kind of payroll this club will have this summer. And I could certainly see a scenario where Umberger and or Wiz getting bought out.

Now THERE is the amnesty buyout candidate!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Give me a few days to enjoy the epic moves

before we start talking buyouts & which players get moved. The deadline was yesterday, lets just lace em up & play ok?

On the third line next to Dubi & Foligno Umby can hold his own & that line could be awesome shutting down the other teams top scorers. Who cares what we pay him we are not spending to the cap ceiling. If your John Mac, lets meet for a beer and you talk me into this..ha ha.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Unlikely, IMO.

Don't think his salary is a concern, even versus decreased production. Not at this juncture, anyway. Only thing would be is if he's taking a roster spot from someone they'd rather give it to. And as others have said, there are other ways to try and accomplish that.

I agree. I don't like his salary, but the only reason to move him is to make room for someone else. I would prefer to trade Umberger and let Jenner take his roster spot.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I just don't see the CBJ as a team buying out large contracts. Is Umby earning his full check? I don't think so but he hasn't been horrendous just not up to what was his perceived value at his contract renewal.

Columbus is a small market team and I don't think the owners want to spend that kind of money for someone who isn't going to play. Trade is the only option I see where Umby gets moved off the roster....

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
**** no. We aren't buying anyone out. We'd have to pay the difference until 2016 for Wiz or Umberger. Unless they're not producing anything at all, they are here to stay.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Guess i'll be in the minority and say RJ has been playing good the past month/

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
Saw a few posts with $4 Mill, its actually worse. Its 4.6 Mill. Ugh. And hes signed though the year 2017. Double Ugh. Wouldn't be as bad if that 4.6 was coming off in the next year or so, but for that long?? Only way Jackets can trade him is if they retain some of that salary. Not likely a team takes a 4.6 hit every year through 2017 for a guy like Umby.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Saw a few posts with $4 Mill, its actually worse. Its 4.6 Mill. Ugh. And hes signed though the year 2017. Double Ugh. Wouldn't be as bad if that 4.6 was coming off in the next year or so, but for that long?? Only way Jackets can trade him is if they retain some of that salary. Not likely a team takes a 4.6 hit every year through 2017 for a guy like Umby.

If the jackets buy him out they are still paying a bit over 3 mill a yr out the door. Add to that the mill or so for a guy to replace him and what have they saved? Bupkus.

The better scenario in my mind is a trade where we take back some salary. Cheaper by about a million a yr. Give or take.

The Jackets aren't bouncing up against the cap so no immediate need to buy anyone out.

And of course he is playing better lately. If he comes to camp somewhat in shape next year and gets off to a reasonable start he could be a valuable contributor on the THIRD line.

General Jacket70

Jul 26, 2002
Anchorage, AK
Visit site

Under-performing but ironman Umberger vs Performing, but only-good-for-little-over-half-a-season-on-the-ice Wisniewski. Which one is truly overpaid, if either one is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->