GDT: Offseason 2023 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I am still baffled by Carlsson being sent down with so many scrubs still up with the big team.

Zito puts a lot of emphasis on experience regardless of the quality of it. I've said this one or twice before: it's easier to break into the roster via waivers than the Panthers prospect development pipeline.

Kane isn't signing with the Panthers. iirc Zito told the press in July that he's not going to utilize the LTIR cap space because he'd have his back against the wall with trying to accommodate the return of Ek and Monty couple of months from now. If Kane wants $5mil then who do you move? Reinhart?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Zito puts a lot of emphasis on experience regardless of the quality of it. I've said this one or twice before: it's easier to break into the roster via waivers than the Panthers prospect development pipeline.

Kane isn't signing with the Panthers. iirc Zito told the press in July that he's not going to utilize the LTIR cap space because he'd have his back against the wall with trying to accommodate the return of Ek and Monty couple of months from now. If Kane wants $5mil then who do you move? Reinhart?

Speaking of which, what is the reasoning for not having Ekblad and Montour on LTIR?

So Zito isn't tempted to use that open cap space?

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Our defense hurts my eyes. And why is everyone left handed? Who thinks this is going to go well? I realize it's an unfortunate situation to have both Ekblad and Montour hurt but this is the best we could do!?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Erod is 5'11 and 175lbs on a good day, he's smaller than that to be honest.

Solid defensively? Yes very good. Big bodied? Not so much ;)
Good point, I was using the terms big bodied and playing a little more physical interchangeably for him, which admittedly is incorrect. That was the impression I got for him from others but if he isn’t physical either then I stand corrected haha

more importantly in this scenario, he and Barkov would provide good defensive play while someone like Kane could still do his thing and not worry too much

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Depends on how badly both sides want to make it happen and timing. We could send a $1M contract down to AHL like Stenlund or Reilly, would give us $1.5M cap space. If Kane starts playing at half way mark, then that's $3M pro-rated.

We're not using LTIR with Ek/Monty, so it does give us some cap space to play with as the season goes. By the TDL, we could take on a $4M contract with the above scenario or if we ran with a 20 man roster could do $5-6M on pro-rated basis.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I've sort of been checked out waiting for the season, but any reason why they never put Ekblad or Montour on LTIR?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I've sort of been checked out waiting for the season, but any reason why they never put Ekblad or Montour on LTIR?
They probably have no intention to go over the cap and have to play gymnastics in December. Most teams that massage their cap to circumvent the limit takes place after the TDL when salaries are much more pro-rated.

Reactions: ShootIt

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Key to having a smoother run to the POs this year is Lundell, for me. If he reaches his potential and performs offensively like he did in the POs and in his 1st season, we should be fine. It will have a positive impact on Reino as well.

Barky's and MT's line will be good as usual - with or without Bennett.

Of course the D carries a huge question mark. But rolling out one of the league's best top-9 can largely compensate for that - if Bob does not completely sh*t the bed over months

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Our defense hurts my eyes. And why is everyone left handed? Who thinks this is going to go well? I realize it's an unfortunate situation to have both Ekblad and Montour hurt but this is the best we could do!?
Yes, it's the best Zito could do under cap restraints. Did you just look at the roster now after a summer of hibernation? A lot of spaghetti has been thrown against the wall in hopes of filling gaps until Ek and Monty are back. I don't think its going to be that bad as everyone thinks but they need to gell quickly. Should be entertaining at least.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Depends on how badly both sides want to make it happen and timing. We could send a $1M contract down to AHL like Stenlund or Reilly, would give us $1.5M cap space. If Kane starts playing at half way mark, then that's $3M pro-rated.

We're not using LTIR with Ek/Monty, so it does give us some cap space to play with as the season goes. By the TDL, we could take on a $4M contract with the above scenario or if we ran with a 20 man roster could do $5-6M on pro-rated basis.

Kane is coming off a big surgery, looked bad the last time he played and turns 35 in a month. I wouldn't give him anything but a show me, one million dollar contract. If he lights it up, great, then you can pay him.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Kane is coming off a big surgery, looked bad the last time he played and turns 35 in a month. I wouldn't give him anything but a show me, one million dollar contract. If he lights it up, great, then you can pay him.

a one year show-me deal is all he will accept. he has already said this. he wants to prove himself, knowing the cap is going up. he's only going to play half (or less) the season as well. I don't know if I see him signing a league minimum deal but it's not going to be 1x5, it's going to be closer to 1x1.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Zito can get Kane here at lower AAV but itd have to be with performance bonuses no?
Not saying I'd like him here, he's more of a passer and we already have enough of them.

I wonder if GMs will wait until he turns 35 on November 19th so they can use the 35+ route, lower the AAV but offer bonuses that'd carry over into next year?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Zito can get Kane here at lower AAV but itd have to be with performance bonuses no?
Not saying I'd like him here, he's more of a passer and we already have enough of them.

I wonder if GMs will wait until he turns 35 on November 19th so they can use the 35+ route, lower the AAV but offer bonuses that'd carry over into next year?
I could see that happening. I wonder what's on Zito's mind. I think that if Kane does come here under certain conditions, I'd be ok with it. He has the potential to really help our overall depth. We need another offensive producer in the top 6, heck I'd take another one anywhere in the top 9.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I could see that happening. I wonder what's on Zito's mind. I think that if Kane does come here under certain conditions, I'd be ok with it. He has the potential to really help our overall depth. We need another offensive producer in the top 6, heck I'd take another one anywhere in the top 9.

Wasn't sure if tweet below was posted in here but sounds like Zito was heavily interested.

Two options: [1]Ekblad gone until playoffs or [2]max you can realistically sign PK for is around $1.75 mil with bonuses and you send down Samo and someone else to add up to that $1.75 mil and activate Ekblad when healthy with 400k cap space for 23 man roster?

Again, not fully on board with it but ya never know with Zito, he loves to add to this offense any chance he can.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018

It's if he's 35 on June 30, 2023. Kane's 35+ year is next season regardless of when he signs

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If everyone reports that FLA was very interested in Kane and everybody thinks he’s coming here, of course that’s never what happens. Just watch him go to Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad