Confirmed Signing with Link: Officially official, NYR sign NCAA UFA John Gilmour

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is a good move for the Rangers, I liked Gilmour but he was caught in a numbers game with the glut of 1st and 2nd year pros we have on the farm and the other guys we still have in college.

Yeah, I had Gilmour as a good pick-up in Vesey's shadow. A team that has been good for as long as the Rangers have to jump on these prospects, and they did here.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
That's a polite way of saying a team with an super shallow prospect pool.

They do though. The Saarela + 2 2nd rders for E. Staal was a terrible move and trades like this are the M/O for NYR. The shallow prospect pool is directly attributed to moves like that made seemingly each deadline. Now if you are talking goalies though, I think 4 of the top ten prospects that Rangers have are goalies. Expect them to move one of Hellberg or Skapski by next draft.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
They do though. The Saarela + 2 2nd rders for E. Staal was a terrible move and trades like this are the M/O for NYR. The shallow prospect pool is directly attributed to moves like that made seemingly each deadline. Now if you are talking goalies though, I think 4 of the top ten prospects that Rangers have are goalies. Expect them to move one of Hellberg or Skapski by next draft.

I think moving one my the next draft is a little ambitious, unless one of them has a stellar season and really projects to be our next starter. They shouldn't be in a rush to move one of their goalies until they really have an idea of who is the best option for their team moving forward.

With that said, I do agree that being rich in goalie prospects helps a lot...especially if even 2 of them pan out to be NHL starters.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Best of luck to Gilmour.
He never really had much of a chance to make this Flames team, and would likely be in the ECHL in short order if he stayed here.

A bit undersized, decent offensive Dman; only reason he was a Calgary draft pick, was thanks to Jankowski and Gillies :laugh:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I hope Gilmour pulls through much better than the last D prospect that went from Calgary to NYR.

He's got great character
More offensive skill-set than defensive but isn't a liability in any games I've seen.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That was implied.....no need to rub it in :(

Sorry, I've been there and while the Flames are getting better, we still have a fair bit of work to do on the development side of thigns. You have my sympathy.

Goalie prospects outside of top tier prospects don't get moved very often. I've argued it's because they don't have value, but I've also been on the receiving end of arguments that that is an untrue statement..

Best of luck to Gilmour.
He never really had much of a chance to make this Flames team, and would likely be in the ECHL in short order if he stayed here.

A bit undersized, decent offensive Dman; only reason he was a Calgary draft pick, was thanks to Jankowski and Gillies :laugh:

I liked Gilmour, especially for a 7th round pick. I wish him the best, but I'm not sure what his potential is.

Definitely worth taking a shot on by a team that can stick him in the AHL instead of the ECHL.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think moving one my the next draft is a little ambitious, unless one of them has a stellar season and really projects to be our next starter. They shouldn't be in a rush to move one of their goalies until they really have an idea of who is the best option for their team moving forward.

With that said, I do agree that being rich in goalie prospects helps a lot...especially if even 2 of them pan out to be NHL starters.

I think Shestyorkin is the guy the Rangers are banking on for the future. He is currently in the KHL and some of the report I read indicate he can be a starter there. Halverson is also a guy they are also really high on. They also picked up a kid by the name of Wall, cool name for a goalie, who they are projecting to be pretty good. Hellberg might be in Hartford and Skapski will be there once he is healed from his injury....someone has to go eventually.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Curiosity has the best of me... what was the original title? (Seems to have been a hit)

It was "Officially official, NYR sign NCAA UFA J..............."

......John Gilmour, no relation to Doug.

I didn't get the news about Vesey until late last night of I would have put up a follow up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad