OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ark sounds crazy. It's an early access game that's charging money for an expansion pack already? And people seem okay with this?

Ark is fun, those as someone who's getting old and I just don't have that much time, it's excellent Youtube content.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ark is awesome but I couldn't play it until I built a pretty good computer over the summer. On my old computer, which wasn't a half bad computer, the game was literally unplayable. Make sure you have a good enough PC for Ark, but if you do, it's worth it!

My computer can't even run Skyrim, so I'll definitely be in the same boat :laugh:... I really need to get a dedicated graphics card one of these days.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
disappointed with NHL reviews. Game doesnt look much different but at the same time madden 17 didnt add too much but improved the small thing. Feels like a different game though

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For those interested in NHL 17 Ratings, here is a Youtube video of all teams ratings:

Ones I found funny:

Gudbranson 86 OVR ELITE HIGH (So he can turn into the next Shea Weber after 1 season? ROFL EA gonna be EA)
Andersen 88 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Lucic 88 OVR ELITE EXACT
Klefbom 83 OVR ELITE LOW
Matthews 77 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Puljujarvi 76 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Laine 77 OVR ELITE MEDIUM

Edit- Reposting for Reference.

Supposedly Mcdavids speed is only an 88 what a joke that is if true.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
Eastside Hockey Manager is interesting but it's for PC though. You don't actually play any games just manage your teams. Has really crazy depth, detail for players, teams, drafting and leagues. Even goes into great depth in players playing options and match ups. It's by far the most in depth GM game out there.

I don't see an NHLPA logo on its web page -- does that mean the actual players aren't in there?

Also, "Eastside" is a sodding fake, SEGA Europe's address is obviously the west end of London. :laugh:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
For those interested in NHL 17 Ratings, here is a Youtube video of all teams ratings:

Ones I found funny:

Gudbranson 86 OVR ELITE HIGH (So he can turn into the next Shea Weber after 1 season? ROFL EA gonna be EA)
Andersen 88 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Lucic 88 OVR ELITE EXACT
Klefbom 83 OVR ELITE LOW
Matthews 77 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Puljujarvi 76 OVR ELITE MEDIUM
Laine 77 OVR ELITE MEDIUM

Edit- Reposting for Reference.

Must be a Vancouver scout.

Honestly the player rating are the biggest downfall of this game.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
That's every year though. I manually fix people anyway, kind of expect it nowadays

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I don't see an NHLPA logo on its web page -- does that mean the actual players aren't in there?

Also, "Eastside" is a sodding fake, SEGA Europe's address is obviously the west end of London. :laugh:

The default game does not include real NHL players, but you can easily download two files from a third party website that adds in real NHL players with way better player ratings than EA. The second file you can download includes photos of players and logo images.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
That's every year though. I manually fix people anyway, kind of expect it nowadays

Totally, but that shouldn't be the case. I think part of it is that:
1) they don't want to spend the money to improve it
2) because everyone buys next years copy expecting the players to be more accurately rated. And for the most part they are, because its a year newer and the breakout players have been accounted for.

Sometimes I'll manually fix an Oiler or two, but EA are so far off with so many players it undermines the entire game.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
The default game does not include real NHL players, but you can easily download two files from a third party website that adds in real NHL players with way better player ratings than EA. The second file you can download includes photos of players and logo images.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on this. I grabbed the 20-game Sierra games Humble Bundle a couple of days ago along with a free copy of Tropico 4, so my "to-play" queue is full at the moment... :yo:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Must be a Vancouver scout.

Honestly the player rating are the biggest downfall of this game.

Admittedly the ratings are bad but this game is the downfall of this game.

If it's anything like '16, I'll take a pass on the garbage puck physics, bumbling goaltenders and 'real life puck battles'.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Been playing franchise mode. I editted some Oilers. Mainly bumped up McDavid, Klefbomb, Larsson, Draitsatl, etc to where I think they should be.

I think now in season 3, McDavid is about a 95 overall. Yet he still puts up like 60 points over 80 games. It always feels like when it comes to the Oilers, EA makes it bleh. As mentioned above, ratings in this game sucks. So many players just feel like they copied the stats.

Like McDavid's speed is like 91/99. Draitsatls passing is like 85.

Give me a break lol

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Japanese Twitter keeps calling Persona 5 "神ゲー"... so "god game."

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well that's no small endorsement, I wonder if it really is that good, or if it remain that good once it's localized.

As a fan of JRPGs (mostly the FF and Mother series) I can see the appeal of the Persona games but I wonder if they really have that widespread appeal in the West because they are... well, very Japanese.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As a fan of JRPGs (mostly the FF and Mother series) I can see the appeal of the Persona games but I wonder if they really have that widespread appeal in the West because they are... well, very Japanese.

My understanding (I also fall under the JRPG fan, still love FF2/4, can play it like it's new whenever) is that it is actually really big over here, the other Persona's are very well loved and purchased games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
My understanding (I also fall under the JRPG fan, still love FF2/4, can play it like it's new whenever) is that it is actually really big over here, the other Persona's are very well loved and purchased games.

That is true, P3/4 are very popular.

Also FF4 is my favourite Final Fantasy, good choice!

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

No doubt. I loved playing Persona 4, it was a perfect Vita game to play during one year I was watching playoffs at the same time. It was like you said, very Japanese. Not like Gravity Rush where I had no idea what the hell any of it meant or what was going on, but I can see why the masses would hate something like Persona as well.

It's all... odd. Yet satisfyingly fun to just go day to day.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Admittedly the ratings are bad but this game is the downfall of this game.

If it's anything like '16, I'll take a pass on the garbage puck physics, bumbling goaltenders and 'real life puck battles'.

The game is the same old garbage, with a new draft champions mode that gets old quick as soon as you see what a grind it is. New menu fonts and colours, game itself is the same every player is rated the same trash it always has been.

Played it for the first two days on release, then took it out to play something else with my kid. Haven't felt any desire to put it back in in the last 14 days. That's messed up, I should probably just go trade it in while it still has $50 value and get something back out of it. Take a $30 loss and call it a day until it's in the bargain bin by Christmas.

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
Hello guys, I was wondering if there are any guys on here that play the eashl mode in nhl 17 that are mature and know how to play a bit? I play center/forward and I am looking for some groups to play with on ps4

a_soul8 is my ID if you want to add me and send me a message.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
FIFA sells like 20million copies a year.
NHL sells like 400k.

There's a monetary reason why they can spend a lot more on FIFA scouts.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
FIFA is also way better.

I'm a hockey fan first and a football fan second but you can tell the amount of money they pour into FIFA in comparsion. That being said, for what the NHL series has to work with, they do a good job for the most part though they have gotten complacent recently over not having any competition IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad