Official (unlicensed) group therapy and counseling thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I swear...

I feel like I'm the only person in this country that does not care for Bacon.

I tried it many times and was not impressed as it felt like it was eating rubber at times (it didn't taste like rubber but you get my point).

It can be prepared so it does not have a rubbery texture but like any other food taste is subjective. You should eat what you prefer not what other people say they like.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Sometimes.. I dream about cheese
There's an old lady in my neighborhood I referred to as The Cheese Lady, as she walks up and down the street holding a brick of sharp cheddar. The first time I saw her I assumed she was going over to the neighbors to make some nachos or something. But then I'd see her at least once a week, always up and down the street holding a block of cheese. Maybe she'd lost her marbles or was a ghost who met some horrible cheese-related demise. The mystery grew.

Yesterday I saw her out the window and got a closer look. Turns out she just has a dark orange case on her cell phone.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Home cured and smoked bacon is far superior to store bought bacon.

Some things aren’t worth the effort to make yourself, bacon is worth it.

Also, non-nitrate bacon is a marketing lie. Your bacon has nitrates in it regardless of what the package says.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I went to the butcher last weekend and thought I'd try out some pork belly. I asked for 2, thinking I'd get 2 strips or cuts, next thing you know the guy has 2 full pork bellies on deck. I'm committed at that point so there's no going back.

Cooked one but have the other frozen right now, rethinking everything that's happened in my life that brought me here.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I went to the butcher last weekend and thought I'd try out some pork belly. I asked for 2, thinking I'd get 2 strips or cuts, next thing you know the guy has 2 full pork bellies on deck. I'm committed at that point so there's no going back.

Cooked one but have the other frozen right now, rethinking everything that's happened in my life that brought me here.
Have you given a thought to making burnt end style pork belly? Or even cut the belly in half and do half bacon and have burnt end style?

Pork Belly burnt end style is insanely decadent. Very delicious but you will fill up on richness quickly. Really good as a “surprise” dish for events as it’s easy to cook, scales easily, and doesn’t dry out while being kept warm.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Have you given a thought to making burnt end style pork belly? Or even cut the belly in half and do half bacon and have burnt end style?

Pork Belly burnt end style is insanely decadent. Very delicious but you will fill up on richness quickly. Really good as a “surprise” dish for events as it’s easy to cook, scales easily, and doesn’t dry out while being kept warm.
burnt ends are all that!!

my buddy made some for the draft and opening night this year; melt in your mouth good!

admittedly we did all feel shitty later that night.. though maybe it wasnt the quality of food but instead we ate an entire belly (or more?) between 4-5 men lmfao

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I've looked into different recipes but not sure I saw one for burnt end style, will take a look into that and try it out on the weekend! Thanks!

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
burnt ends are all that!!

my buddy made some for the draft and opening night this year; melt in your mouth good!

admittedly we did all feel shitty later that night.. though maybe it wasnt the quality of food but instead we ate an entire belly (or more?) between 4-5 men lmfao
You and me both.

First time I made them I ate maybe like 8-10 oz, which I can do with ribeye without issue, and felt the fat sweats later that night.

Definitely should eat slow with pork belly since it’s so fatty.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
That is the positivity that you need to keep front of mind. That will get you through these dark times.

This is not the financial advice thread.

giphy.gif

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
A couple weeks back, I cleared some space in our family room and setup a table expressly for a replica New Jersey Devils Stanley Cup 2023-24. Now, I'm envisioning the pre-season Cup there with a 7-0 plaque alongside. Lonely. Unappreciated. Worthless. Life sucks. But hey! There's hope! I can put my Luke Gazdic signed puck from HFC next to it! That'll make things better! Maybe there IS life after Jack and Nico!

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor

How big is a full belly? I’m curious what size of smoker you’d need for that much? Rendering that down sounds like quite a chore.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
How big is a full belly? I’m curious what size of smoker you’d need for that much? Rendering that down sounds like quite a chore.

It's not massive, a few pounds, but more than I bargained for lol. Unfortunately I don't have a smoker but I'm sure there are some tasty recipes I can try out still

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I swear...

I feel like I'm the only person in this country that does not care for Bacon.

I tried it many times and was not impressed as it felt like it was eating rubber at times (it didn't taste like rubber but you get my point).

You're not alone. I'm a lifelong vegetarian so bacon does nothing for me.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's not massive, a few pounds, but more than I bargained for lol. Unfortunately I don't have a smoker but I'm sure there are some tasty recipes I can try out still
My guess is you can dry rub it and render it down in a regular oven at about 225 but you will have to rig up some sort of suspended grate over a deep pan to catch all the fat that drips out. If you have a charcoal grill you can set it up to smoke as well.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad