Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Amacs value to a contender is high for a few reasons:
1-his cap hit will be what, 200k-ish? thats laughable.
2-he is over-exposed on the island. On a contender, playing bottom pair, hes golden
3-He blocks shots all day long

Add one more...he is extremely versatile. He does nothing great, but everything decently. He can play on a first or second pk unit. He can handle the point on a second power play unit.

Every contender is worried about having enough insurance in case of injury. AMac is perfect for that role. In a best case he plays 18-22 minutes a night, mostly even strength and second pk, but in a pinch, he can do a lot more.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Same. Keep in mind that he'll be 34 at the start of next season. Would you give him 5 years, $30 mil?

His age is my biggest issue. If he was 30 I sign and then sum. But in 2-3 years he can be nabby and then we are right back where we started and probably worse because he would be under contract.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
That's actually no bad. But it also means the contenders will have first crack at him.

I was expecting 7+

The good thing is that not many contenders need a goalie.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is St. Louis, assuming they let Halak and Elliot walk. But they don't have a ton of cap space ($22M, but need to re-re-sign Schwartz, Berglund, Sobotka and sign/replace Roy and Morrow) and have a top goalie prospect waiting in the wings.

Other than St Louis, we match up pretty well with the other teams needing a goalie. Ideally we could make a pitch to both Vanek and Miller at the same time to let them both know we are serious about being a contender.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Sure I would, that would make him basically Nabby's age when the contract ends; what's wrong with that?

We need a goalie that can steal a game with a young defense. In prior thread posts I calculated the effect of Miller on our team if he played with us this year. We'd EASILY be in a playoff spot right now with his Save %.

Great point. I have no problems with Miller as a UFA. It would also give us time to develop a young goalie while making us a playoff team with the capability of doing some damage in the playoffs at the same time.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Says Garth turned down a" substantial" offer for Amac. I wonder what it was.

I can't imagine getting more than a 1st for him.

I'm really curious as to what this offer was. I had read Snow was talking to the Kings about either getting Muzzin or Martinez, but I'm not sure if that was for Vanek or Amac, since reportedly the Kings and Snow have been in talks for both players. Honestly, if anyone offers Snow a 1st rounder, he should take that deal and run. If he expects anything more, he needs to put down the pipe lol

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyi140204.html

A-MAC REJECTS 4 YEAR $16 MIL OFFER

A-MAC WAS OFFERED 4 YEARS AND $16 MIL

http://nypost.com/2014/02/06/islanders-macdonald-on-block-after-rejecting-16m-offer/

good, I'm glad he turned it down. I really don't want him on the roster next year

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
His age is my biggest issue. If he was 30 I sign and then sum. But in 2-3 years he can be nabby and then we are right back where we started and probably worse because he would be under contract.

In 2-3 years you worry about it. By that time, we should (hopefully) have a good enough team that we don't need to rely on the goaltender every night.

The thing is, if we did sign Miller, we would need to address the backup. Nabokov has not been the problem this year (although he did start off poorly). If Nabokov played every game, we would be at an 82 point pace right now. Not great, not a playoff team, but not far off. The problem has been Poulin and Nillson.

If we do go with a 35+ year old goalie, we need someone who can play 25 games and not lose 20 of them.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The good thing is that not many contenders need a goalie.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is St. Louis, assuming they let Halak and Elliot walk. But they don't have a ton of cap space ($22M, but need to re-re-sign Schwartz, Berglund, Sobotka and sign/replace Roy and Morrow) and have a top goalie prospect waiting in the wings.

Other than St Louis, we match up pretty well with the other teams needing a goalie. Ideally we could make a pitch to both Vanek and Miller at the same time to let them both know we are serious about being a contender.

Anaheim could look for one as well if they don't want to give Hiller a long-term deal. As deep as they are at goaltender, Andersen isn't proven enough to bank a season on; Fasth has proven to be injury prone; Gibson is still probably at least a year away from being an NHL #1.

Miller apparently wants to go to the West Coast(Cali, in particular), and Anaheim would be a perfect fit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Anaheim could look for one as well if they don't want to give Hiller a long-term deal. As deep as they are at goaltender, Andersen isn't proven enough to bank a season on; Fasth has proven to be injury prone; Gibson is still probably at least a year away from being an NHL #1.

Miller apparently wants to go to the West Coast(Cali, in particular), and Anaheim would be a perfect fit.

I thought of ANa as well. Hiller would be my #1 target. So I wouldn't mind them signing miller.

Fwiw I still think they keep Hiller.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Great point. I have no problems with Miller as a UFA. It would also give us time to develop a young goalie while making us a playoff team with the capability of doing some damage in the playoffs at the same time.

Trading for Gibson and giving Miller his dream contract would be the best case scenario. Sets us up for the next decade+. With Vanek all but out of the picture, we could afford to beat all other offers. That money has to go somewhere, and Miller is arguably the one UFA who would have the biggest postive effect on our team. Just a matter of how badly Miller wants to go to a contender out West.

His wife is an actress though, correct? I think that's why he wants to go out there. I'd imagine that Brooklyn wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for an actress either.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

I can't see Anaheim going long-term on an older goalie with all of their goalies.

Plus, they have roughly $20M and need to 4 of their top 9 forwards by ice time. Even if they do that in-house for 2 spots, they won't have much money left for a goalie.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I thought of ANa as well. Hiller would be my #1 target. So I wouldn't mind them signing miller.

Fwiw I still think they keep Hiller.

It's possible. I think it depends on how they fare in the playoffs.

You're right though, if Miller signs with STL or ANA and Hiller walks, he should become the Isles top goaltending target. At least if they decide to go the UFA route.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I doubt Anaheim would give Miller the money he will get. Why would you give a goaltender 30+ million when you have 2 of the best young goalies in the world developing rapidly. Anderson is a STUD, and Gibson may be the best goalie prospect in the world. Obviously the Kings and Sharks wont be looking to add a goaltender.

The teams in the west that look like they will need a goaltender like Miller:
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg

Maybes:
Minnesota
St. Louis

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I doubt Anaheim would give Miller the money he will get. Why would you give a goaltender 30+ million when you have 2 of the best young goalies in the world developing rapidly. Anderson is a STUD, and Gibson may be the best goalie prospect in the world. Obviously the Kings and Sharks wont be looking to add a goaltender.

The teams in the west that look like they will need a goaltender like Miller:
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg

Maybes:
Minnesota
St. Louis

Because they are a great team, and might not want to take a step back. Even for one year. As good as Andersen is, he's basically doing exactly what Fasth did before he fell back down to earth. As good as Gibson is, he's still just a kid who has yet to play an NHL game.

Maybe you are right, and they'll take their chances, but if Hiller walks I'd be surprised if they don't bring in some kind of veteran.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Because they are a great team, and might not want to take a step back. Even for one year. As good as Andersen is, he's basically doing exactly what Fasth did before he fell back down to earth. As good as Gibson is, he's still just a kid who has yet to play an NHL game.

Maybe you are right, and they'll take their chances, but if Hiller walks I'd be surprised if they don't bring in some kind of veteran.

What happened to Fasth? I know he was hurt is he still out? Fasth might be a scrap heap goalie we may target

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What happened to Fasth? I know he was hurt is he still out? Fasth might be a scrap heap goalie we may target

He's still hurt but I read that he's been back on the ice lately. If Anaheim wants Vanek but are unwilling to part with Andersen or Gibson, I'd be OK with getting Fasth as long as their is some other value coming back. Could be a nice buy-low guy.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate myself for even posting anything from Eklund, but it involves the team that has my two favorite trade targets being interested in Vanek. Get one of those Anaheim goalies and I will never complain about what we originally gave up to get Vanek in the initial trade.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...aheim-looking-at-making-splash--Vanek/1/57800

I doubt it but if we could Get Gibson or Anderson I would cry tears of joy...

the fact that eklund is saying this though is making me cry tears of pain...

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I hate myself for even posting anything from Eklund, but it involves the team that has my two favorite trade targets being interested in Vanek. Get one of those Anaheim goalies and I will never complain about what we originally gave up to get Vanek in the initial trade.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...aheim-looking-at-making-splash--Vanek/1/57800

I saw on another website the Ducks healthy scratched Bryan Allen and Silfverberg while recalling Etem.

I could see the Ducks wanting Vanek and AMac.

What about a deal like Vanek and AMac for Gibson, Silfverberg, Allen (for salary) & a 1st?

EDIT: Added a trade machine pic to see if the money works for the Ducks to stay cap compliant

2w36azt.jpg

I'd love to do that deal and then target a big name free agent goalie this summer to be our starter with a stud like Gibson being groomed to take over.

Allen would be a solid vet to have on our roster for 1 year to let the kids develop in the AHL and he could be moved on at the next deadline for some more assets to allow for someone like Pulock to move up to the big boys next March.

Defense:

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Vis
Hickey - Allen

Strait - Carkner (scratches)

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I saw on another website the Ducks healthy scratched Bryan Allen and Silfverberg while recalling Etem.

I could see the Ducks wanting Vanek and AMac.

What about a deal like Vanek and AMac for Gibson, Silfverberg, Allen (for salary) & a 1st?

I'd love to do that deal and then target a big name free agent goalie this summer to be our starter with a stud like Gibson being groomed to take over.

Allen would be a solid vet to have on our roster for 1 year to let the kids develop in the AHL and he could be moved on at the next deadline for some more assets to allow for someone like Pulock to move up to the big boys next March.

Defense:

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Vis
Hickey - Allen

Strait - Carkner (scratches)

I think it would be extremely tough for Anaheim to part with Gibson for a possible rental. If they do cave and decide to give him up, I don't see them being OK with adding much else. Maybe a pick. No way a guy like Silfverberg gets added though, even if MacDonald was included.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I think it would be extremely tough for Anaheim to part with Gibson for a possible rental. If they do cave and decide to give him up, I don't see them being OK with adding much else. Maybe a pick. No way a guy like Silfverberg gets added though, even if MacDonald was included.

Silfverberg hasn't played well for the Ducks and has been moved all over the line up to try and find him a spot to perform but he just hasn't been great.

Now he's been healthy scratched and it would seem he isn't as immovable at all, especially with Etem playing well in the AHL chomping at the bit for minutes.

Hell, I'd do that deal without the Ducks giving a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad