GDT: Official Trade Deadline Thread Part XXX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
For the sake of arguments, here's the offersheet compensation with the most recent values:
LBbfZkt.png
Marner... We have the 1sts to give

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Brooks also doing this: "Winnipeg's [first round pick] is going to be a low one and Tampa Bay's would be 31st."

If a high first round pick is basically the same as a low second round pick, then it's also basically the same as a mid first round pick. (You don't get to round the value of a pick in one direction.)

giphy.webp

Reactions: Do you want ants

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can get on board with a Kapanen offer sheet for two years in the 2nd round pick range. I'd rather not start risking 1sts for higher end guys and end up with a Kessel to Toronto redux.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I can get on board with a Kapanen offer sheet for two years in the 2nd round pick range. I'd rather not start risking 1sts for higher end guys and end up with a Kessel to Toronto redux.

2nd round pick compensation would be in the 2-4M Range and you'd think Toronto would easily match that.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016

Yup, I wouldn’t risk a first but Gorton should be paying attention to the cap situations in both Toronto and Winnipeg. Get a feeler on contract talks with Krieder, and look to see what will be the cost to move up at the draft with the Winnipeg pick.

Reactions: Berserk

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Remember, it's YOUR OWN picks. Not other teams' picks.

So if we offersheet Marner for top tier compensation, it would be the Rangers' 2020/2021/2022/2023 first round picks.
But if we give our Firsts and replace them with the other firsts we've gotten in the rebuild.. Essentially we'd be moving back in the first round 4 times to acquire Marner... Seems fair imo

Reactions: Irishguy42

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
But if we give our Firsts and replace them with the other firsts we've gotten in the rebuild.. Essentially we'd be moving back in the first round 4 times to acquire Marner... Seems fair imo
Bingo.

And if we get Marner, and build a competent roster and go into competing the following year or two, those 2022/2023 picks probably aren't high. No guarantee the 2021 pick would be high either.

It's a good trade-off.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's more likely the Rangers trade for players than they use offer sheets.

Given the possible tit for tat nature, or even just setting a precedent for teams to use them more often, the Rangers are likely to have several up coming non arbitration eligible RFAs of their own, are they really going to open up that potential can or worms?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Keeping Smith is a good buffer so that we can just say the young guys are being blocked by Smith, and not have to wonder if maybe some of these kids actually aren't that good.....

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Their roster is MUCH better and if they get Bob like expected that takes care of the goalie part (which has held them back.)

I also don't see the Rangers shelling out 11-12 million for a UFA.
i dont disagree with the shelling out of 11-12 million, personally id rather not sign him and just continue with the rebuild but you could argue that where both teams are right now they are more similar

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
i dont disagree with the shelling out of 11-12 million, personally id rather not sign him and just continue with the rebuild but you could argue that where both teams are right now they are more similar
Maybe in the standings, but the pieces that are in Florida are more plentiful and better for a playoff run the next few years. If Florida has better goaltending this year they’d firmly be a wildcard team right now

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
No argument there, but considering the team won't compete next year, why are they allocating the term and wasting the key UFA signing's prime year?

Because it is a rare situation where you can get a player like that for nothing by money. There is nobody comparable available in FA in either of the next two years other than potentially Taylor Hall if he gets there and he has some major injury question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad