Official Trade Deadline Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
This completely ignore the other pieces in each deal.

Polak - traded with Nick Spaling for two 2nds and Raffi Torres.

Raffi Torres is a $2million cap dump being buried in the minors. Spaling is a 27 year old vet with 400+ games underneath him, a versatile C/LW that can kill penalties and put up 25-30 a season. Fans don't care for him but his coaches usually give him 15 minutes ATOI each season.

Eric Staal (50% retained) traded for two 2nds and prospect Aleksi Saarela.

Saarela was a 3rd round pick who at a quick glance from the main board fell a little at the draft to concussion issues but at 19 is having a breakout season in Finland with 18 goals in 46 games.

So I would break this down:

Saarela - maybe worth a 2nd
Polak - traded for 1 2nd
Spaling - traded for 1 2nd + cap dump

And suggest it's more accurate to say Eric Staal returned 3x the price of Polak.

that breakdown is way off. Spaling is not worth a 2nd even with a cap dump.

Rangers got Eric Staal at a very cheap price.

Eric Staal might no longer be that 100 point C, but he has performed extremely well in playoff situations.

One of the better moves for the Rangers.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
He's a 50-point player at this stage and a UFA.

If we can get that return for Vrbata I will be very satisfied.

As bad of a year as Staal is having hes still more desirable than Vrbata is. He's had much better seasons and is a center. Given the choice I would take Staal over Vrbata10 times out of 10

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
He's a 50-point player at this stage and a UFA.

If we can get that return for Vrbata I will be very satisfied.

Except Eric Stall is only -4 on the season and he has won a cup. Vrbata is like -33 or some crap. No one wants a defensively poor scorer on their team anymore. There's a lot of teams that probably wouldn't take Vrbata for free. Cap space issues (even if we retain cap) and just the fact that he could do more harm than good out there like he has to us.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As bad of a year as Staal is having hes still more desirable than Vrbata is. He's had much better seasons and is a center. Given the choice I would take Staal over Vrbata10 times out of 10

Well ya but no one is expecting a grade B prospect and two 2nds for Vrbata...

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

..sure. I'm just saying they basically have the same point totals the last 3 years. Staal has that name recognition that inflates his perceived value; he's not a star anymore. He might be better than Vrbata but I don't agree that two 2nds and a decent prospect is a bad return for the player Staal is now. Nobody is expecting Vrbata to fetch anywhere near that.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
..sure. I'm just saying they basically have the same point totals the last 3 years. Staal has that name recognition that inflates his perceived value; he's not a star anymore. He might be better than Vrbata but I don't agree that two 2nds and a decent prospect is a bad return for the player Staal is now. Nobody is expecting Vrbata to fetch anywhere near that.
I think the very limited number of teams Carolina could work with harmed Staal's value more than his lower point totals over the past few seasons.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria

Fair enough, I pretty much am expecting Vrbata to either still be a Canuck on Tuesday or bring home a 5th round and we retain salary.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
My hope (based on market value):

Radim Vrbata for a 2nd round pick and B+ prospect
Dan Hamhuis for a 1st round pick and a B+/A- prospect

My expectations (because Benning)

Radim Vrbata for a B- prospect and a 5th round pick
Dan Hamhuis for a B prospect, and a 22 year old 7th defenseman who's soon to be waiver eligible

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
Agreed. I think Carolina did a great job getting this much return on Staal considering he would only go to one team.

I admittedly haven't paid a great deal of attention to Staals demands but if he said he would only go to 1 place then I agree, they did well getting what they did.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006

Dan Hamhuis for a B prospect, and a 22 year old 7th defenseman who's soon to be waiver eligible

I don't think Vrbata's fair value is a 2nd and B+ prospect.

Using Hudler as a benchmark I'd say a 2nd and maybe late pick is about as good as it'll get.

As for Hammer I'd say a 1st and a B level prospect is pretty realistic (similar to what Sekera got last year and a tad below Ladd).

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

Your market value is off.

Hudler only got a 2nd and a 4th, why should Vrbata get more?

I think a 2nd for Vrbata would be fair, anymore and we are getting good value.

a 1st for Hamhuis would be fair, (assuming we can re-sign him), anymore and we are getting good value.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Good deal for the Rangers. Surprised a one-time franchise player was moved for a couple of seconds and a B level prospect.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't see how Vrby fetches anything good at all. I would love to be surprised but the guy is having a terrible year and doesn't really bring anything to the table unless he is contributing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think Vrbata's fair value is a 2nd and B+ prospect.

Using Hudler as a benchmark I'd say a 2nd and maybe late pick is about as good as it'll get.

As for Hammer I'd say a 1st and a B level prospect is pretty realistic (similar to what Sekera got last year and a tad below Ladd).

Nick Spaling went for a 2nd round pick.

Why should Hamhuis go for a tad below Ladd? I think Dano is more of a B+ prospect but we're arguing semantics at this point.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm going to predict Vrbata gets a 4th round pick and Hamhuis gets a 2nd and a facepalm prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad