Official Trade Deadline Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
doubt columbus gives us the pick until 2018

Can the Canucks trade the conditional pick from Columbus???

Just wondering.

Like let's say the Canucks wanted to trade the 2nd round pick (2018) from Columbus for a 3rd Round pick from Toronto this year (assuming TO would do that).

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008

Are the Hawks trying to build a team for the World Cup of Hockey in September?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
As much as we rag on the Koko part he is #6 in league scoring in the AHL. He had 5 assists the other night and from reports progressing quite well. If we didn't already have Sven / Granlund / and others he wouldn't be THAT bad + a solid pick.

I get it though.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Can the Canucks trade the conditional pick from Columbus???

Just wondering.

Like let's say the Canucks wanted to trade the 2nd round pick (2018) from Columbus for a 3rd Round pick from Toronto this year (assuming TO would do that).

i don't believe so but don't quote me on that cause i really have no idea.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Did anyone read this article on Sportsnet yesterday?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trends-and-storylines-to-watch-for-at-nhl-trade-deadline/

Little snippet on what they think of Vancouver's current situation at the deadline:

""Based on Jim Benning’s first 20-plus months behind the wheel in Vancouver, it sure looks like he is the GM his peers should be going out of their way to feast on while they still can""

""The Canucks are a franchise in shambles, seemingly without a consistent, coherent thought process to guide most of their moves. They’re an aging team with a collection of depreciating assets they either can’t, or won’t, move. The sad reality is that in a tone deaf attempt to appease an increasingly restless fan base and an uneasy ownership group, they’ve stumbled into the worst possible position for a pro sports organization""

""Their best players are good enough to keep them afloat on occasion, but the large majority of the supporting group is bad enough to submarine the collective effort""

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013

Are the Hawks trying to build a team for the World Cup of Hockey in September?

Hawks can afford to piss away picks every single year because they hit the freaking jackpot with Toews and Kane. It's crazy. I keep thinking to myself "Yeah well, Toews and Kane aren't getting any younger... they won't be able to carry your team for much longer".

Then I look and see that they are 27 years old and I shake my head. These guys have another 5 years left in their PRIME probably. Patrick Kane is just hitting his prime now. I could see Hawks winning another 2 cups to make it an even 5.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Did anyone read this article on Sportsnet yesterday?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trends-and-storylines-to-watch-for-at-nhl-trade-deadline/

Little snippet on what they think of Vancouver's current situation at the deadline:

""Based on Jim Benning’s first 20-plus months behind the wheel in Vancouver, it sure looks like he is the GM his peers should be going out of their way to feast on while they still can""

""The Canucks are a franchise in shambles, seemingly without a consistent, coherent thought process to guide most of their moves. They’re an aging team with a collection of depreciating assets they either can’t, or won’t, move. The sad reality is that in a tone deaf attempt to appease an increasingly restless fan base and an uneasy ownership group, they’ve stumbled into the worst possible position for a pro sports organization""

""Their best players are good enough to keep them afloat on occasion, but the large majority of the supporting group is bad enough to submarine the collective effort""

The brutal truth.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
Soo... Eric Staal is a Ranger, I don't know much about who they got back but it feels like Carolina got a bit ripped off on this one. 2 seconds and a guy I don't know (good be a stud prospect, I just don't know him)

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Soo... Eric Staal is a Ranger, I don't know much about who they got back but it feels like Carolina got a bit ripped off on this one. 2 seconds and a guy I don't know (good be a stud prospect, I just don't know him)

Staal only wanted to go to the Rangers so Carolina didnt have many options.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

He's a 50-point player at this stage and a UFA.

If we can get that return for Vrbata I will be very satisfied.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Polak received as much value as Staal...

This completely ignore the other pieces in each deal.

Polak - traded with Nick Spaling for two 2nds and Raffi Torres.

Raffi Torres is a $2million cap dump being buried in the minors. Spaling is a 27 year old vet with 400+ games underneath him, a versatile C/LW that can kill penalties and put up 25-30 a season. Fans don't care for him but his coaches usually give him 15 minutes ATOI each season.

Eric Staal (50% retained) traded for two 2nds and prospect Aleksi Saarela.

Saarela was a 3rd round pick who at a quick glance from the main board fell a little at the draft to concussion issues but at 19 is having a breakout season in Finland with 18 goals in 46 games.

So I would break this down:

Saarela - maybe worth a 2nd
Polak - traded for 1 2nd
Spaling - traded for 1 2nd + cap dump

And suggest it's more accurate to say Eric Staal returned 3x the price of Polak.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Staal has less goals this season than Vrbata... selling low would be the term but Aleksi Saarela was a PPG player @ the world juniors for Finland and having a good year in their Elite League. A little small but good pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad