Official Trade Deadline 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
keep in mind that the jackets play tampa in 8 days but... they're done playing FLA.

Reactions: CPTN71

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Does this trade sound reasonable?

Panarin + Sonny Milano for Fiala, Tolvanen, and a 2nd.

Nashville upgrades Fiala to Panarin at the cost of Tolvanen and a low pick. Milano added to improve the pick to a 2nd rounder which replaces the one CBJ have already traded away. The pick could then be used to add in another deal or just add to our 2019 picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Nashville upgrades Fiala to Panarin at the cost of Tolvanen and a low pick. Milano added to improve the pick to a 2nd rounder which replaces the one CBJ have already traded away. The pick could then be used to add in another deal or just add to out 2019 picks.
I'd do it

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Nashville upgrades Fiala to Panarin at the cost of Tolvanen and a low pick. Milano added to improve the pick to a 2nd rounder which replaces the one CBJ have already traded away. The pick could then be used to add in another deal or just add to our 2019 picks.
Nashville isn't going to trade both Fiala and Tolvanen. It's going to be strictly one or the other, if any. (And given the choice, I want Fiala.)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He is 19 years old. How exactly has he stalled in his development?
You know how Abramov got super-hot in juniors and was looking like he had major star potential and then came to the AHL and has suddenly been pedestrian and so he's still an excellent prospect but no longer looks like he's going to singlehandedly conquer the world?

It's kind of like that.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You know how Abramov got super-hot in juniors and was looking like he had major star potential and then came to the AHL and has suddenly been pedestrian and so he's still an excellent prospect but no longer looks like he's going to singlehandedly conquer the world?

It's kind of like that.

Well, I never thought Abramov was going to be a star. Also, I never thought Tolvanen was going to be a star.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Fair enough. I just happen to think they have similar ceilings but Fiala has a higher floor because he's already done it.

Fiala also horribly broke his femur a couple of years ago. I think Tolvanen has a bit higher ceiling myself, he won't make us forget Panarin, but I think he could be a player for us right away. I would worry about Fiala's development moving forward, I'm honestly surprised he came back to full health from it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fiala also horribly broke his femur a couple of years ago. I think Tolvanen has a bit higher ceiling myself, he won't make us forget Panarin, but I think he could be a player for us right away. I would worry about Fiala's development moving forward, I'm honestly surprised he came back to full health from it.
I could not possibly be less concerned about that injury, myself. As you said, it's been years. Indeed, I'd forgotten it had ever happened until your mentioning it reminded me.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hey CBJ fans. Yotes fan here. I've seen some tweets that our two teams have been keeping an eye on each other. Could be nothing, but I suspect we're interested in Wennberg. I know he's had a rough season or two now and the contract is a little out of whack for what he's produced, so just trying to get a sense of the fan sentiment toward him. Where do you place his value? I don't think it'd be "dump at all costs" but maybe a little more so than a comparable talent given his contract. The other thing here is I don't really see a fit on our side in terms of what we'd give up for Wennberg.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hi all, long-time reader, first-time poster. Big fan of much (but not all :sarcasm: ) of your guys’s work.

The more I think about it, the less I like the notion of being both a buyer and a seller (i.e., trading Panarin/Bob and then trading for someone like Duchene or Stone).* I’m fine with the idea of standing pat/selling. (I lump standing pat and selling together because, like Jarmo, I think there’s a bar that teams should reach if they want either Panarin or Bob. If the best offer you get for Panarin is 1st & B prospect, just keep him for the stretch run/playoffs.) But this whole “trade a UFA and bring in another that hasn’t even played with these guys” doesn’t make sense to me.

Like many of you, I think this team, as it stands, is a notch below teams like Toronto and TB, and possibly Pittsburgh and Washington, and not quite a Cup contender, though anything can happen in the playoffs. Key words: as it stands. But how about, for a little insanity this afternoon, something I basically haven’t seen mentioned anywhere at all: the possibility of being a buyer only? As in, keeping Panarin/Bob AND trading for Stone or Duchene?

I think we’d be the favorites to get out of the Metropolitan side of the bracket in that scenario. By no means would it be a guarantee, but I honestly believe we’d have a better team than Pittsburgh, Washington and the Islanders and have a great shot at reaching the conference finals. I think it’d put us right about at Toronto’s level. We’d still be a little below Tampa, but Washington was a notch below them last year too, plus Toronto could upset them anyway. I’d say we could legitimately call ourselves Cup contenders, even if not at the level of Tampa/Winnipeg/Nashville.

It would likely cost a pretty penny. (I’d imagine Stone a bit more than Duchene.) And if the team still doesn’t win a round, and not only didn’t get assets for Panarin but actually gave up assets... yikes. But either of these would be extremely potent:

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Bjorkstrand - Wennberg - Stone
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Duclair - Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Wennberg - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Duclair -Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

(In the above scenario, I like that Jenner line as it stands, but you could also move him to LW and bump Wennberg down to 3C. And I like Duclair in the lineup but know Torts might prefer the current 4th line or Dubinsky in there.)

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind the stand pat/sell option... but I also wouldn’t complain if Jarmo was crazy and went for it. Curious if other people have thought about this and agree.

*The one exception is if Stone/Duchene agree to a sign-and-trade. Then I’m fine with trading Panarin if those assets are part of the deal to get the guy from Ottawa.
The first one is a no go, if it involves Wennberg being our #2 center. Second lineup looks much better, but my guess is PLD, and Duchene would flip. Duchene is a better face off guy, better passer, and has more speed. Not to mention, hes a better plaer than PLD at this point. Put Pld on Ottawa, away from Panarin, and Cam, and see if his #s would be close to Duchenes. Not a knock on him, but hes still growing into the position.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hey CBJ fans. Yotes fan here. I've seen some tweets that our two teams have been keeping an eye on each other. Could be nothing, but I suspect we're interested in Wennberg. I know he's had a rough season or two now and the contract is a little out of whack for what he's produced, so just trying to get a sense of the fan sentiment toward him. Where do you place his value? I don't think it'd be "dump at all costs" but maybe a little more so than a comparable talent given his contract. The other thing here is I don't really set a fit on our side in terms of what we'd give up for Wennberg.
How about we pay you guys to take Wennberg, only if you take on Larsen (our beloved assistant coach), as well.

In all seriousness, you just poked a stick in the beehive around here. Some will still try to sell Wennberg as a smart , defensive player, others will contend, hes a soft, passive, and plays with no heart. Bet you can gather which camp I belong to :D

Reactions: CPTN71

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Personally, I'm with @Viqsi on prefering Fiala, mostly because he has played 138 games (80 last year 58 this year) with 47g and 79a (.91 ppg). And that's with this year being a down year for his shooting percentage (off by 2g roughly). He's shown a reasonable floor for a 2LW. He is only 22 so the hope would be he could grow more. He is a bit small at 5'10" 193 lb. Good even strength metric, though a tad heavy on the OZ starts (per hocker-reference.com). His production isn't tilted towars PP either with 2/3 or more being at even strength. Fiala is an RFA after this year (2 years of entry level slide, so this is year 3 of the entry level contract). He has one more pro-year before reaching arbitration.

Just curious if you could explain why you prefer Tolvanen more.

I don't think either makes us forget Panarain, I dont' think any player ever will actually because bread is that much fun to watch, but finding the best mitigating value that will make the team better is of course the question.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hey CBJ fans. Yotes fan here. I've seen some tweets that our two teams have been keeping an eye on each other. Could be nothing, but I suspect we're interested in Wennberg. I know he's had a rough season or two now and the contract is a little out of whack for what he's produced, so just trying to get a sense of the fan sentiment toward him. Where do you place his value? I don't think it'd be "dump at all costs" but maybe a little more so than a comparable talent given his contract. The other thing here is I don't really see a fit on our side in terms of what we'd give up for Wennberg.
I'd previously proposed a Wennberg-for-Stepan swap; would love to know if that's (still? ever?) a viable idea.

Reactions: mikeyp24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad