Official Trade Deadline 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The deadline's coming up in a couple weeks, and our existing trade discussion thread is now full up, so here we go.

When last we left off, the lead topic of trade discussion involved wondering if we could get Wild Bill back:

Wonder what Vegas would want in addition to Panarin to get Karlsson back. Wild Bill has come back down to earth and looks like a 50 point guy. I think he would still look great on our 2nd line center and has good relationships with the team and coaches.

Vegas obviously values Karlsson's center play but maybe could view Panarin as key to making the Finals again. Add a good pick or prospect for when Panarin goes to FA. It may be worth the gamble to "sell high" on him if the Golden Knights are sold on their center prospects and Stastny recovering.

Give up assets to get the guy we gave up assets to get rid of? I'll pass. Karlsson is better than he was when he left, but I'm still not sure if he's done coming back to Earth yet, so I'd rather see what else is available.

I mean I get it. The optics aren't great when you trade a player like Panarin for Wild Bill who you gave away 2 years ago. But he has 16g and 17a this year which is leaps and bounds better than what we have behind Dubois down the middle.

I'd go down that road if possible. Would Bill want to come back after being cast off? He would also be an RFA so he would be here a few years.

On one hand it seems like a typical Jackets move. When they need to make a move they tend to go back to guys they know. Not a bad thing, just they tend to like the Devil they know.

What is Bills contract situation he was a RFA last season and made $5.25M this year. Is he RFA again this summer or UFA?

He's an RFA per Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

On track for 51 points this year. So he's probably a 40 to 60 point guy for Vegas in their system. Who knows if he could do that here?

I think Karlsson's game is quite flexible so he is a low risk acquisition. He would likely fit on any of our top-3 lines (splitting faceoffs with PLD or centering Foligno/Bjorkstrand or centering Jenner/Anderson). He can also play on the PP half wall and on the PK.

There is no guarantee but I think his flexibility and versatility means he would be pretty safe.

He also isn't a 10 million dollar guy. Acquiring him (RFA at the end of the season) likely takes time and money away from Duclair or Wennberg. The team can still look for a Panarin replacement who they will pay handsomly.

:dunno: I'm just not seeing a Karlsson trade being plausible. Even after coming down to earth, he's the best C the Knights have.

Reactions: Crede777

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I agree it is highly unlikely. Depends on how the Knights view their center prospects, Stastny, and if they think they are selling high on Karlsson.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

I'd love to see something like this. A future second line center who would I could really see being interested in planting roots in Columbus. :sarcasm:

If Nashville is truly interested in Panarin, you'd have to think the Jets won't want to deal with him in playoffs.

Reactions: Viqsi

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH

I'd love to see something like this. A future second line center who would I could really see being interested in planting roots in Columbus. :sarcasm:

If Nashville is truly interested in Panarin, you'd have to think the Jets won't want to deal with him in playoffs.

Would also love to see something built around Roslovic in return for Panarin. Don't know if the Jets would do that or not.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Anisimov available?
Hearing that the Blackhawks would move forward Artem Anisimov for the right price. His role has decreased in Chicago this season. I don’t get the sense the ‘Hawks are actively shopping him, but for the right offer they would listen.
The 30-year-old Anisimov is not a rental, he’s got two more years on his deal after this season at a $4.55-million cap hit although the actual cash owed to him is $4 million next year and $3 million in the last season.
Anisimov has a 10-team list of teams he would go to as part of his modified no-trade clause. So his camp has some say in how a potential deal would play out.
I wonder if Columbus wouldn’t be a fit in terms of re-acquiring him? The allure here would be that they know the player and that he’s signed past this year. If Columbus adds, I think the Jackets would like a player under contract, especially if they ship out Panarin in a separate deal.
What I don’t know is whether Columbus is on Anisimov’s list of teams.

From LeBrun's column on The Athletic today. I think Arty could be an option to help our center depth if we could get him for a reasonable price.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If we have to trade panarin, wouldn't mind something around Fiala. Kid is dynamic. He's only been roughly .5 ppg so far but putting him with Duber could be fun.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If we have to trade panarin, wouldn't mind something around Fiala. Kid is dynamic. He's only been roughly .5 ppg so far but putting him with Duber could be fun.

Rather have Tolvanen myself, but if we deal with Nashville we need one or the other.

Count me in on Roslovic, he's been very good for Winnipeg this year and would help us in a lot of ways. He's as NHL ready a player as we could hope for... but getting a center from a team that's already struggling with center depth, might be too rich an ask. If they came back with Roslovic and a 1st, I probably make that trade.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Rather have Tolvanen myself, but if we deal with Nashville we need one or the other.

Count me in on Roslovic, he's been very good for Winnipeg this year and would help us in a lot of ways. He's as NHL ready a player as we could hope for... but getting a center from a team that's already struggling with center depth, might be too rich an ask. If they came back with Roslovic and a 1st, I probably make that trade.

All the talk of Roslovic being off limits though makes me doubt that happening.

I just wish it were possible to skip the 1st and b prospect and get both Fiala and Tolvanen but that's never going to happen lol.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
All the talk of Roslovic being off limits though makes me doubt that happening.

I just wish it were possible to skip the 1st and b prospect and get both Fiala and Tolvanen but that's never going to happen lol.
You guys would like fiala. I think a change of environment would do him well, a little breathing room. But there is absolutely no way we are trading for panarin as a rental only. Would rather put together a package for stone who fits our needs better (big, drives the net power forward).

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Minnesota is a team I'd target. They're looking at a rebuild and Granlund, Coyle, and Staal seemingly might be available. Would love to add any of them, especially Granlund.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Minnesota is a team I'd target. They're looking at a rebuild and Granlund, Coyle, and Staal seemingly might be available. Would love to add any of them, especially Granlund.

Truth be told, the Wild are in the first wildcard spot in the west. there is absolutely no way that the Wild are going to sell off players, the only chance they're going to go thru a rebuild is if they miss the playoffs this year.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Truth be told, the Wild are in the first wildcard spot in the west. there is absolutely no way that the Wild are going to sell off players, the only chance they're going to go thru a rebuild is if they miss the playoffs this year.
After losing Koivu their position might change. However, I don't know that they would be a good fit. They won't want Panarin or Bob in that situation...

Reactions: Sore Loser

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Latest thoughts and rumblings

Bob to Florida for picks and prospects
Bread to Nashville for Fiala and picks
Picks and prospects to LA for Quick and Tifoli

???

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I hear you, but there are 8 teams within 6 points of each other for the wildcard spots in the west. The feeling I get from their fans is that they want a rebuild. Granted, who knows what Fenton is thinking, but where there is smoke...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The situation in the eastern conference is really terrible. I think you guys could surprise in the playoffs and should keep Panarin and Bob but the question is if you will even make the playoffs?
You really should be going for the cup this year but it might be more sensible to retool/minirebuild just because of the insane competition. Would have happily cheered for you guys or Carolina if the Sabres doesn't make it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thinking "out loud"

Let's assume the Jackets decide to keep B&B for a playoff run but need a significant upgrade at 2C to make a run realistic. If we assume the going rate is what we supposedly want for Bread - a 1st, a roster player and a top prospect who would you package for Duchene?

Assume a lesser price for Brassard & Eric Staal. What do you think it takes to get them?

For Duchene I'd offer Wennberg & Davidsson plus the 1st. Maybe toss in Milano or Carlsson.

If the Jackets trade their 1st they don't have a pick until Rd 3 and then only 4 & 7 thereafter.

Jackets don't have a 2nd to offer so any deal for a guy worth acquiring (Brass or Staal) probably costs the 1st.

Bottom line for me is I'd prefer trading Bread & Bob for the best deals. Get maybe 2 1sts (or at least a 1st and a 2nd) plus a couple of good prospects and maybe a roster player or two.

I just think the risk/reward tilts in favor of the long run approach rather than going all in at the deadline.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Thinking "out loud"

Let's assume the Jackets decide to keep B&B for a playoff run but need a significant upgrade at 2C to make a run realistic. If we assume the going rate is what we supposedly want for Bread - a 1st, a roster player and a top prospect who would you package for Duchene?

Assume a lesser price for Brassard & Eric Staal. What do you think it takes to get them?

For Duchene I'd offer Wennberg & Davidsson plus the 1st. Maybe toss in Milano or Carlsson.

If the Jackets trade their 1st they don't have a pick until Rd 3 and then only 4 & 7 thereafter.

Jackets don't have a 2nd to offer so any deal for a guy worth acquiring (Brass or Staal) probably costs the 1st.

Bottom line for me is I'd prefer trading Bread & Bob for the best deals. Get maybe 2 1sts (or at least a 1st and a 2nd) plus a couple of good prospects and maybe a roster player or two.

I just think the risk/reward tilts in favor of the long run approach rather than going all in at the deadline.

No thank you!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, Wild fans didn't bite my head off when I suggested 1st + Milano for Charlie Coyle. That doesn't necessarily "solve" the #2C issue, but he'd be a nice fit regardless (as several other folks have previously pointed out).

Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well, Wild fans didn't bite my head off when I suggested 1st + Milano for Charlie Coyle. That doesn't necessarily "solve" the #2C issue, but he'd be a nice fit regardless (as several other folks have previously pointed out).
Never quite got the hype wih Coyle. Physically gifted beast but more of the same when I think speed and skill is more needed. Now if Zucker were a target Id be all over that

Reactions: CPTN71

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hi all, long-time reader, first-time poster. Big fan of much (but not all :sarcasm: ) of your guys’s work.

The more I think about it, the less I like the notion of being both a buyer and a seller (i.e., trading Panarin/Bob and then trading for someone like Duchene or Stone).* I’m fine with the idea of standing pat/selling. (I lump standing pat and selling together because, like Jarmo, I think there’s a bar that teams should reach if they want either Panarin or Bob. If the best offer you get for Panarin is 1st & B prospect, just keep him for the stretch run/playoffs.) But this whole “trade a UFA and bring in another that hasn’t even played with these guys” doesn’t make sense to me.

Like many of you, I think this team, as it stands, is a notch below teams like Toronto and TB, and possibly Pittsburgh and Washington, and not quite a Cup contender, though anything can happen in the playoffs. Key words: as it stands. But how about, for a little insanity this afternoon, something I basically haven’t seen mentioned anywhere at all: the possibility of being a buyer only? As in, keeping Panarin/Bob AND trading for Stone or Duchene?

I think we’d be the favorites to get out of the Metropolitan side of the bracket in that scenario. By no means would it be a guarantee, but I honestly believe we’d have a better team than Pittsburgh, Washington and the Islanders and have a great shot at reaching the conference finals. I think it’d put us right about at Toronto’s level. We’d still be a little below Tampa, but Washington was a notch below them last year too, plus Toronto could upset them anyway. I’d say we could legitimately call ourselves Cup contenders, even if not at the level of Tampa/Winnipeg/Nashville.

It would likely cost a pretty penny. (I’d imagine Stone a bit more than Duchene.) And if the team still doesn’t win a round, and not only didn’t get assets for Panarin but actually gave up assets... yikes. But either of these would be extremely potent:

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Bjorkstrand - Wennberg - Stone
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Duclair - Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Wennberg - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Duclair -Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

(In the above scenario, I like that Jenner line as it stands, but you could also move him to LW and bump Wennberg down to 3C. And I like Duclair in the lineup but know Torts might prefer the current 4th line or Dubinsky in there.)

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind the stand pat/sell option... but I also wouldn’t complain if Jarmo was crazy and went for it. Curious if other people have thought about this and agree.

*The one exception is if Stone/Duchene agree to a sign-and-trade. Then I’m fine with trading Panarin if those assets are part of the deal to get the guy from Ottawa.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hi all, long-time reader, first-time poster. Big fan of much (but not all :sarcasm: ) of your guys’s work.

The more I think about it, the less I like the notion of being both a buyer and a seller (i.e., trading Panarin/Bob and then trading for someone like Duchene or Stone).* I’m fine with the idea of standing pat/selling. (I lump standing pat and selling together because, like Jarmo, I think there’s a bar that teams should reach if they want either Panarin or Bob. If the best offer you get for Panarin is 1st & B prospect, just keep him for the stretch run/playoffs.) But this whole “trade a UFA and bring in another that hasn’t even played with these guys” doesn’t make sense to me.

Like many of you, I think this team, as it stands, is a notch below teams like Toronto and TB, and possibly Pittsburgh and Washington, and not quite a Cup contender, though anything can happen in the playoffs. Key words: as it stands. But how about, for a little insanity this afternoon, something I basically haven’t seen mentioned anywhere at all: the possibility of being a buyer only? As in, keeping Panarin/Bob AND trading for Stone or Duchene?

I think we’d be the favorites to get out of the Metropolitan side of the bracket in that scenario. By no means would it be a guarantee, but I honestly believe we’d have a better team than Pittsburgh, Washington and the Islanders and have a great shot at reaching the conference finals. I think it’d put us right about at Toronto’s level. We’d still be a little below Tampa, but Washington was a notch below them last year too, plus Toronto could upset them anyway. I’d say we could legitimately call ourselves Cup contenders, even if not at the level of Tampa/Winnipeg/Nashville.

It would likely cost a pretty penny. (I’d imagine Stone a bit more than Duchene.) And if the team still doesn’t win a round, and not only didn’t get assets for Panarin but actually gave up assets... yikes. But either of these would be extremely potent:

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Bjorkstrand - Wennberg - Stone
Duclair - Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Wennberg - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Duclair -Nash - Sedlak/Hannikainen

(In the above scenario, I like that Jenner line as it stands, but you could also move him to LW and bump Wennberg down to 3C. And I like Duclair in the lineup but know Torts might prefer the current 4th line or Dubinsky in there.)

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind the stand pat/sell option... but I also wouldn’t complain if Jarmo was crazy and went for it. Curious if other people have thought about this and agree.

*The one exception is if Stone/Duchene agree to a sign-and-trade. Then I’m fine with trading Panarin if those assets are part of the deal to get the guy from Ottawa.
I think the idea behind the "buy AND sell" thing is that we nominally would only buy, but selling is still an option if and only if we get An Offer We Can't Refuse for Panarin and/or Bob.

Also, welcome. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad