Recalled/Assigned: Official thread - D'Amigo and Liles called up

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can see reasons why a trade involving Gleason and Liles would make sense for both teams.
2 guys with bad contracts who seem not to have a place in their current teams long term plans.
Also The canes seem to be in need of a puck mover and the Leafs of a tough stay at home guy. Seems like a good deal for both teams but Gleason's NTC could cause problems.

That doesn't mean that this call up is enough evidence for me to be able to say that a trade between the 2 of them is more or less likely.

Perhaps the Leafs are planning on showcasing him at the NHL level this year to attract trade interest. ;)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
liles doesn't have to be called-up to be traded. he could've been traded while playing in the AHL. he got called-up cause bozak got hurt and most probably will play for us since our D is practically garbage.

Liles doesn't need to be called up to be traded but him getting a few games in the NHL and performing well would increase the teams ability to trade Liles.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Our D-zone breakouts are pathetic and arguably the single biggest reason why we give up so many shots. Its embarrassing sometimes. Trade or no-trade, I hope JML can do a better job than our present group.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
My hope would be that he plays well whether that allows the Leafs to trade him for a something that helps or if his play improves this club's performance.

mikebel111*

nice to hear that liles was called up.

his puck moving, calmness and veteran leadership can really help this team.

class act throughout.

But I don't think it means anything for rielly.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Trade faser ! Liles is far more capable than him and rielly liles would be great !

I hope he either sticks with leafs or is traded though, he doesnt deserve to be in the ahl.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis being able to deal Liles would validate his decision to not buy him out this summer as it would save MLSE a boat load of millions to play for someone else.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If Liles comes up and plays well it would be pretty dumb to trade him, we would need him.

Disagree.

We need to think long-term. If there is an opportunity to trade Liles, we should strongly consider it. We don't have cap space for him next year.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Disagree.

We need to think long-term. If there is an opportunity to trade Liles, we should strongly consider it. We don't have cap space for him next year.

for 900k id rather have liles over that bum fraser, at least liles can skate and move the puck, hes also been amazing on the marlies powerplay, next year the cap is going to go up by like 5-6 mill, and 2.5 mill is coming off the books from buyout/retained salary, there is certainly room for him, hopefully he plays well enough this time,

I also only see 1 of kulemin or jmac coming back next year as well

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Glad to see Liles up.

Who does he take out if he plays?

Also, is this only possible because Lupul and Bozak are on the IR (cap reasons)?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Liles will be good. He really cannot be worse than Franson, Fraser and Ranger. It's close to impossible.

With all these injuries, I hope the Leafs keep him and trade Franson and dump Fraser and find a way to keep Liles if he's playing well.

No reason why a player like Liles should be in the AHL when we have one of the worst defences in the league.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did he need to be called up to be traded?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Can we please give Liles a game? Please?

I mentioned last week that he would be coming up shortly.

I believe the intention is to get him some games.

He provides something the Leafs could really use and this is his chance to show the NHL he can still play.

Hes confident and eager.

ronniekeels

Dec 13, 2012
Good to hear. Thought he played well in the playoffs last year after being scratched for a stretch.

Penalty Kill Icing*

He provides something the Leafs could really use and this is his chance to show the NHL he can still play.

Hes confident and eager.

Thank You! To you for conveying this, and to Nonis for at least looking down this avenue.

I want us to try:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-(One of Fraser/Ranger/Rielly).

leafstilldeath*

Liles is needed on the blue line. If he plays well he should stick. I am so fed up with the dumb system of Carlyle. I would Fire Carlyle before even contemplating trading Liles.

This moron of a coach sits players for no reason. I still do not understand why Liles did not play to start the season. If it was cap issues than Nonis the stupid moron screwed up...Read: Clarkson and Bozak

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Hes confident and eager.

I had hope that he would get some playing time the last time he was called up and it didn't happen so at this point I don't feel confident that his call up means he'll get some playing time.

I think Liles' assets can help with the Leafs transition game. He's got a pass, he's got the vision, he's got the speed. Our D has been struggling all season and Liles' is too good to be playing in the AHL...there's no reason why he shouldn't have been called up sooner and given some time. I don't agree with everything Carlyle does and this is one of them. I just want the guy to get a chance. Like you said, he can provide something that the Leafs need in their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad