*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Johnathon Masters signed today

Good for him. Looks like they have enough players signed on d and f...maybe a few too many forwards right now but I am sure someone (or two) is on their way out...who?
Goalies are now the problem...Timpano for sure and who else?

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Forwards

BRODY SILK, 20

RAY HUETHER, 20

NATHAN PANCEL, 20

NICHOLAS BAPTISTE, 19

DANNY DESROCHERS, 19

JACOB HARRIS, 19

PAVEL JENYS, 18

MATT SCHMALZ, 18

CONNOR BURGIE, 18

DYLAN CALLAGHAN, 18

DEVON PALIANI, 18

IVAN KASHTANOV, 17

DAVID ZEPPIERI, 17

MICHAEL PEZZETTA, 16

BRADY PATAKI, 15

Defence

JEFF CORBETT, 20

EVAN DEHAAN, 19

KHADYN BUTTERFLY, 19

CONOR CUMMINS, 18

JONATHAN MASTERS, 18

KYLE CAPOBIANCO, 17

AUSTIN CLAPHAM, 17

CHASE HAWLEY, 17

TRENTON BOURQUE, 16

Goal

SAM TANGUAY, 19

JACK MOYLAN, 19

MICHAEL MUZYKA, 18

TROY TIMPANO, 16

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Read article in the Star about the North Bay exhibition game yesterday. Was not at game. Can anyone who was there share some comments on the play?

Hockeyfan16

Aug 9, 2014
Sudbury
Read article in the Star about the North Bay exhibition game yesterday. Was not at game. Can anyone who was there share some comments on the play?

Sounds like an introduction meeting for the rookies. An appreciation message to the scouts for their draft selection.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013

IMO..
- Euros + Pezzetta was the best line.
- Pezzetta played with confidence and is physically ready. He was driving the net and throwing hits. No fear. He impressed me the most out of any other player on the ice
- Callaghan looked good. Won't put points on the board but is an agitator and threw some bigs hits. He would be an asset to the team in my opinion.
- Harris had some jump
- Heuther wasn't as noticeable as I would hope for a guy battling for the last OA spot. (Unless he already knows the writing is on the wall). He was great last year, consistently the hardest worker on the ice, unfortunately he didn't show that yesterday.
- Tanguay looked a bit more comfortable in the net
- Bourque was impressive for his debut showing. He will make some mistakes this year like all rookies as they learn to play at the next level but he has the skill set and smarts to be a productive player for years to come.
- Piani was small but had great speed and showed no fear. Unfortunately it's a numbers game and he may be one of the odd men out.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
IMO..
- Pezzetta played with confidence and is physically ready. He was driving the net and throwing hits. No fear. He impressed me the most out of any other player on the ice
- Callaghan looked good. Won't put points on the board but is an agitator and threw some bigs hits. He would be an asset to the team in my opinion.
- Harris had some jump
- Heuther wasn't as noticeable as I would hope for a guy battling for the last OA spot. (Unless he already knows the writing is on the wall). He was great last year, consistently the hardest worker on the ice, unfortunately he didn't show that yesterday.
- Bourque was impressive for his debut showing. He will make some mistakes this year like all rookies as they learn to play at the next level but he has the skill set and smarts to be a productive player for years to come.
- Piani was small but had great speed and showed no fear. Unfortunately it's a numbers game and he may be one of the odd men out.

thanks for update. I know exhibition game what would you say the attendance was?

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
IMO..
- Harris had some jump

Thank you. Basis who didn't play and those that did, where would you stack the line-up in a lines and d-pairs heading into the regular season?

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I would put the attendance at 1200 to 1500 people max.

It's too hard to guess on any lines at this point. Too many regulars out, however, if Pezzetta keeps on playing how he is with the euros it would be hard to break them up. Stranger things have happened though. The pancel, campagna, Baptiste split comes to mind.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
I think with Paliani just signed he will not be moved. If Pazetta stays with Euro's then that would be your second line. First line will be Baptiste, Silk and Pancel.
Hearing more and more that Heuter is OA being shopped. Paliani will stay as 3rd line center with Schmalz and possibly Burgess or Zeppieri. 4th line will be Pataki, Burgess or Zeppieri and Callaghan. Harris will be moved and you have your forwards.

D will be Corbett, DeHann, Capobianco, Cummings, Bourgue, Masters, Clapham.

G will be Timpano and Moylan.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Question - if the player is signed by the club, does that mean they must be in the starting roster - sit in the stands or be played? In other words, can they be sent to play tier 2 somewhere even though signed an OHL contract with that club?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Question - if the player is signed by the club, does that mean they must be in the starting roster - sit in the stands or be played? In other words, can they be sent to play tier 2 somewhere even though signed an OHL contract with that club?

Yes, they can.

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
Couldnt go Sunday so made the trip Monday to nb. I am scared. I couldnt beleive the lack of effort, lack of compete, and lack of skill. I know these are rookies, but aren't they gunning for a job right now?

Going to be a long year. The only good I saw was the goalie. Played well. Veterans played like rookies, and rookies played like midgets.

Will be a long year...I bet now you see coaches telling their players to never hit 19. He is more valuable to the other teams on the ice then injured. He's like 99, untouchable, just for opposite reasons.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Who will be this years captain and assistants?

I believe that the Northern Life put them in the order in which they will be announced. Either Corbett or Baptiste as Captain. The other will be an A along with Pancel and Silk. All three OA's will be C or A which I don't think is right but...what can I say. Are there better deserving?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think with Paliani just signed he will not be moved. If Pazetta stays with Euro's then that would be your second line. First line will be Baptiste, Silk and Pancel.
Hearing more and more that Heuter is OA being shopped. Paliani will stay as 3rd line center with Schmalz and possibly Burgess or Zeppieri. 4th line will be Pataki, Burgess or Zeppieri and Callaghan. Harris will be moved and you have your forwards.

D will be Corbett, DeHann, Capobianco, Cummings, Bourgue, Masters, Clapham.

G will be Timpano and Moylan.

Moylan and Muzyka were cut.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
For those Wolves fans keeping track of the forwards on a depth chart, how does the trickle down effect look with Milne slotted in?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He was probably acquired to play on a third line with Harris and Burgess.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
He was probably acquired to play on a third line with Harris and Burgess.

You serious? Read an article earlier today that has Harris playing wire to wire on the 2nd line. Assume with the Euro's. However, pre-season is a different thing and kids will be given opportunity to play with many different players.

See that Callaghan is moved to the Nickel Baron's. Still have a few too many forwards in the mix, but let's assume the reality is top 9 of Baptiste, Silk, Pancel, Harris, 2 x Euro's, Milne, Pazetta, Heuter? Bottom 3 is Zeppieri, Burgess and Desrochers/Paliani? Or is there a trade happening?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Don't forget Schmalz, add him to the list. There has to be a trade made to accommodate the trade and who will not play with CB on a line. I predict Schmalz will asked to be moved. The Wolves again will be forced to make decisions not necessarily in the best interest of the team in mind and Fixter will have his hands full again this year thanks to the owner.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
there must be something to this in getting Milne, they are heavy at forward. They need alot help on Defence.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
there must be something to this in getting Milne, they are heavy at forward. They need alot help on Defence.

Forgot about Schmalz. Yes, maybe he is moved. Maybe Harris or Desrochers....The 100% certainties are Baptiste (at least until trade deadline), Pancel, Silk. The rest, possibly, are expendable from a Wolves perspective. (Also Euro's...forgot them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad