*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
What a shame your season ended so early. You guys were very promising this season. With who you had on that team, should have done better.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I sent an e-mail of my displeasure of what organization and ownership did this season to Blaine Smith and that i was not renewing my season tickets.

To Blain Smith credit, he did respond to my e-mail, and his spin was many players did not have the winning attitude and compete on the team. Would not respond to my claims on ownership, because will not be able to change that.

My answer to that, they waited to the end of season to realize that? I really believed the owner's agenda killed the mood of the dressing room, and coach lost respect of the players, but organization will never admit to that.

They need to fix CB situation if team has any future or credibility.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/92...ne-mock-s-the-1st-round-of-the-2014-ohl-draft

http://thescoutingbureau.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rossyyoungblood-ohldraft-guide.pdf

The above two links are mock drafts created by reputable scouts. The first link has us taking a 6'6 defenceman, the second link has us taking a forward who is said to be one of the hardest workers and most intense players in the draft.

I think we can all agree that we need a forward, especially when we trade away our top forwards this upcoming season. Then again how do you turn down a 6'6 defenceman when for the most part we will have an undersized D corps. Thoughts?

PuckDude

Feb 14, 2014
I can't believe how many season ticket holders I talk too are not renewing. It's at about 100% actually. I predict there will be more former season ticket holders than actual season ticket holders soon. How long are they going to wait to lower the boom on that joke of a coaching staff? Unfortunately, ownership will never change until his pocketbook is hit hard. The fans of Sudbury have had it. They've sucked the life out of the fans and I never thought that would happen in Sudbury.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I can't believe how many season ticket holders I talk too are not renewing. It's at about 100% actually. I predict there will be more former season ticket holders than actual season ticket holders soon. How long are they going to wait to lower the boom on that joke of a coaching staff? Unfortunately, ownership will never change until his pocketbook is hit hard. The fans of Sudbury have had it. They've sucked the life out of the fans and I never thought that would happen in Sudbury.

At this point there's so many problems with the organization that need to be solved before most fans would even consider coming back.

The big three are: Connor Burgess is not an OHL caliber hockey player, plain and simple. Mark Burgess might be the worst meddling owner in the CHL. Paul Fixtor might be the worst coach in Sudbury Wolves history and he's signed for 4 more long years!

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I encourage all Sudbury Wolves fans to voice there displeasure and e-mail Blaine Smith: [email protected] -------- season ticket holder or not.

Ownership and management need to hear from the fans and hope the organization gets back on track.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
BostonOz it should be very interesting which way they go at the draft, a player who will report but ranked much lower, or the best available player who won't report, for obvious reasons, but they would receive compensation down the road if that player doesn't report, or they trade his rights to another team. Maybe the league will adopt a new rule like the Quebec league where you are aloud to trade your first rounder. They could call it the Mark Burgess rule, defined as a rule put in place where a team could apply for the right to trade their first rounder due to the fact he won't report because of the owner.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
I think they need to go after a forward, but questions on whehter they report is in questionable and are they a true first round player...those are tough concerns.

I think they might make a few moves this week (if allowed) prior ro the draft to get a possible 2nd or at least a 3rd rounder for this year.

I have stated many times, would be hard pressed to Harris back in a Wolves uniform with what they did to him post trade deadline. Schmalz very much the same thing.
Assume they will keep 2 94's as OA forwards (one 94 will be a D in Corbett).

I think a Campagna will be moved for higher end picks or maybe a useful every day player and lesser picks. Pancel and Silk will stay. What about Crisp. People have pointed out that he is currently not signed by the Canadiens - only drafted by them.

Moving forward this week will be a tough decision for BS. Do they nmove players this week to gain picks for next weekend's draft? Or wait until the late summer/early fall and start the moves then. Might be better to wait, although give up on the rebuild now and wait for another year or two. But waiting will give you time to see who actually reports. Who knows, maybe there is kids on the team who have already decided to not come back regardless. Wait to camp!!!

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/92...ne-mock-s-the-1st-round-of-the-2014-ohl-draft

http://thescoutingbureau.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rossyyoungblood-ohldraft-guide.pdf

The above two links are mock drafts created by reputable scouts. The first link has us taking a 6'6 defenceman, the second link has us taking a forward who is said to be one of the hardest workers and most intense players in the draft.

I think we can all agree that we need a forward, especially when we trade away our top forwards this upcoming season. Then again how do you turn down a 6'6 defenceman when for the most part we will have an undersized D corps. Thoughts?

They need everything. Small, soft and for the most part slow. The team won't go wrong either way with what they pick as long as they get a legitimate first rounder. That being said, judging from this year, Fixter doesn't know how to utilize first year players.

Blaine isn't wrong about the lack of compete on the team. Some players gave their all despite the various distractions and some players went through the motions when adversity hit. Whether it is the fault of ownership and/or coaching (and there is lots of blame there) the players still have to show up and give their all, which some clearly didn't.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
When the owner prevents the coach from icing the best team on a nightly bases, refuses the use of affiliates throughout the season when needed, and dictates the ice time of one player, yea it is hard for some players to compete on a regular bases.

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Following is a list of what is in the Wolves system (not sure if I missed anyone)
Some mock drafts have us picking a 6'6" D - Stanley
Forwards
BURGESS '96 - hearing rumours he will be back:cry:
BAPTISE '95 RS:
SCHMALTZ '96 RS
DAVID ZEPPIERI ' 97 LS
KAHUN '95 LS - hearing not back - is he a guy you can win with?
CRISP '94 LS - hasn't signed a pro offer could be back as an o/a, trade potential?
PANCEL '94 LS - hopefully back as an o/a
HARRIS '95 RS - hopefully back,
HUETHER '94 RS - not an o/a candidate in my opinion trade potential?
SILK '94 LS - not worth the gamble as an o/a, trade potential
DESROCHERS '95 LS
CULL '94 RS - not worthy of an o/a spot
FASKA '94 - presume he will be gone and not factor into the o/a spot
CAMPAGNA '94 LS - back as an o/a

Defence
CORBETT '94 LS O/A?
DEHAAN '95 LS
CUMMINS '96 LS
KYLE CAPOBIANCO '97 LS 1ST 2013
AUSTIN CLAPMAN '97 4TH 2013

GOALTENDER
TROY TIMPANO '97 2ND 2013
MULZYKA '96
LIAM TURNBULL '97
JACK MOYLAND ?

Forwards In System
VELEKE '96
PETERS '96
SPICER '96
CALLAGHAN '96

NOAH ROBINSON '97
NICHOLAS HAMRE '97
RORY MILNE '97
MICHAEL SILVERI '97
JOSH DICKSON '97
CONNOR SCHMALTZ '97

Defence In System
BRADLEY BELL
CHASE HAWLEY '97
NOLAN SMITH '97
NIIBIN NASHKAWAN '97
CRAMPTON '95 ?

D2Dpass

Sep 30, 2008
Regarding defence in the system , heard that Bradley Bell has been strongly advised not to report to the Wolves and go the NCAA route , Crampton didn't even play hockey this year so I don't think he is in the mix anymore.

sarie67

Oct 19, 2010
One has to wonder about team management. Just the fact that they have so many 19 years olds available for three overage spots next year is mismanagement, especially when too many of them would be fringe overagers that will not provide much as far as trade value. But the biggest mismanagement, in my opinion, has been the recent drafts. Why will there be so few decent 19 year olds next year? Why will the 18 years olds be so weak? Take a look at the 2011 and 2012 drafts and the answer is there :
2011 OHL Priority Selection
1 - Baptiste OHL 65 45 44 89 59 9 on 10
2 - Harris OHL 58 10 15 25 22 7 on 10
2 - Dehaan OHL 54 2 10 12 12 5 on 10
3 - Desrochers OHL 64 6 7 13 45 6 on 10
4 - Crampton Did not play 0 on 10
5 - Corbin BCHL 8 3.74 .899 0 on 10
6 - Disipio CCHL 23 10 13 23 24 0 on 10
7 - Dunda OJHL 35 9 8 17 73 0 on 10
8 - Nielsen Did not play 0 on 10
9 - Lee Did not play 0 on 10
10 - Sands Did not play 0 on 10
11 - Raymond GOJHL 20 4.15 .878 0 on 10
12 - McFadden GOJHL9 2 3 5 38 2 on 10
13 - Spicer MJHL 0 on 10

Baptiste was not a difficult pick and it's difficult to screw up on the 6th overall pick.
Harris has many qualities but has not performed that well for a high 2nd round pick.
Dehaan finally contributed a bit this year but not enough for a 2nd round pick.
Desrochers, for a 3rd rounder, has contribute about what an average 3rd rounder would - nothing more.
After that, the draft selections are abysmal. Only Baptiste will be an impact 19 year old. FOUR guys aren't even playing hockey anymore! The last 10 picks are all busts. Yes, it's a crapshoot but one would think that at least a few would be OHLers by now.

2012 DRAFT

1 - Cummings OHL 51 2 1 3 24 2 on 10
3 - Vilardi OHL 68 13 25 38 22 8 on 10
3 - Burgess OHL 59 0 1 1 17 0 on 10
4 - Eccles OHL 13 0 2 2 7 3 on 10
6 - Muzyka NOJHL 34 4.00 .894 0 on 10
7 - Leblanc OHL 64 5 23 28 26 9 on 10
8 - Callaghan NOJHL34 11 7 18 42 2 on 10
9 - Harrison T1EHL37 10 32 42 28 0 on 10
10 - Veleke NOJHL31 6 7 13 72 1 on 10
11 - Peters GOJHL48 13 16 29 60 2 on 10
12 - WettlaugherGOJHL46 14 25 39 41 3 on 10
13 - Adams The Hill Academy 0 on 10
14 - Masters CCHL 55 2 9 11 71 1 on 10
14 - Trecoce NOJHL 14 4 3 7 26 0 on 10
15 - Beretta OJHL 34 14 15 29 18 4 on 10

Cummings has been a bust as a first rounder.
Burgess has zero goals in two full OHL seasons.
They do have two pretty picks - Leblanc and Vilardi. Unfortunately, they are no longer with the team.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
One has to wonder about team management. Just the fact that they have so many 19 years olds available for three overage spots next year is mismanagement, especially when too many of them would be fringe overagers that will not provide much as far as trade value. But the biggest mismanagement, in my opinion, has been the recent drafts. Why will there be so few decent 19 year olds next year? Why will the 18 years olds be so weak? Take a look at the 2011 and 2012 drafts and the answer is there :
2011 OHL Priority Selection
1 - Baptiste OHL 65 45 44 89 59 9 on 10
2 - Harris OHL 58 10 15 25 22 7 on 10
2 - Dehaan OHL 54 2 10 12 12 5 on 10
3 - Desrochers OHL 64 6 7 13 45 6 on 10
4 - Crampton Did not play 0 on 10
5 - Corbin BCHL 8 3.74 .899 0 on 10
6 - Disipio CCHL 23 10 13 23 24 0 on 10
7 - Dunda OJHL 35 9 8 17 73 0 on 10
8 - Nielsen Did not play 0 on 10
9 - Lee Did not play 0 on 10
10 - Sands Did not play 0 on 10
11 - Raymond GOJHL 20 4.15 .878 0 on 10
12 - McFadden GOJHL9 2 3 5 38 2 on 10
13 - Spicer MJHL 0 on 10

Baptiste was not a difficult pick and it's difficult to screw up on the 6th overall pick.
Harris has many qualities but has not performed that well for a high 2nd round pick.
Dehaan finally contributed a bit this year but not enough for a 2nd round pick.
Desrochers, for a 3rd rounder, has contribute about what an average 3rd rounder would - nothing more.
After that, the draft selections are abysmal. Only Baptiste will be an impact 19 year old. FOUR guys aren't even playing hockey anymore! The last 10 picks are all busts. Yes, it's a crapshoot but one would think that at least a few would be OHLers by now.

2012 DRAFT

1 - Cummings OHL 51 2 1 3 24 2 on 10
3 - Vilardi OHL 68 13 25 38 22 8 on 10
3 - Burgess OHL 59 0 1 1 17 0 on 10
4 - Eccles OHL 13 0 2 2 7 3 on 10
6 - Muzyka NOJHL 34 4.00 .894 0 on 10
7 - Leblanc OHL 64 5 23 28 26 9 on 10
8 - Callaghan NOJHL34 11 7 18 42 2 on 10
9 - Harrison T1EHL37 10 32 42 28 0 on 10
10 - Veleke NOJHL31 6 7 13 72 1 on 10
11 - Peters GOJHL48 13 16 29 60 2 on 10
12 - WettlaugherGOJHL46 14 25 39 41 3 on 10
13 - Adams The Hill Academy 0 on 10
14 - Masters CCHL 55 2 9 11 71 1 on 10
14 - Trecoce NOJHL 14 4 3 7 26 0 on 10
15 - Beretta OJHL 34 14 15 29 18 4 on 10

Cummings has been a bust as a first rounder.
Burgess has zero goals in two full OHL seasons.
They do have two pretty picks - Leblanc and Vilardi. Unfortunately, they are no longer with the team.

Agree with assessment. However, big fan of Desrochers and Harris. Starting with Harris, he was producing until trade deadline then we saw what happened. Went right to 4th line with CB and down the stretch was given 4-5 shifts per game to cover CB's play. Cannot really produce not playing in the 3rd period and 4-5 over two period. Also, was a 1.5 point per game player when Kahun was out with injury early in year. Once back he was pushed to 3/4th line...then deadline and the rest is history. However, in two games since deadline where given a normal shift he scored in both. Reason this is high lighted as it was all over twitter.

Harris was 3rd/4th line last year and still had 30 points with Cull as coach. 16 goals. Not bad if nutured a little by a good coach.

This year top 2 lines were given 45-50 minutes of the playing time. Last year, the first three lines were somewhat equal and 4th line was given better than average 4th line minutes...huge difference.

Section19

Sep 17, 2012
Sudbury, ON
From what I recall, Turnbull walked away from hockey last summer and I believe Moylan would be an OA next year so I'd scratch them as potential goalies for next year.

sarie67

Oct 19, 2010
Agree with assessment. However, big fan of Desrochers and Harris. Starting with Harris, he was producing until trade deadline then we saw what happened. Went right to 4th line with CB and down the stretch was given 4-5 shifts per game to cover CB's play. Cannot really produce not playing in the 3rd period and 4-5 over two period. Also, was a 1.5 point per game player when Kahun was out with injury early in year. Once back he was pushed to 3/4th line...then deadline and the rest is history. However, in two games since deadline where given a normal shift he scored in both. Reason this is high lighted as it was all over twitter.

Harris was 3rd/4th line last year and still had 30 points with Cull as coach. 16 goals. Not bad if nutured a little by a good coach.

This year top 2 lines were given 45-50 minutes of the playing time. Last year, the first three lines were somewhat equal and 4th line was given better than average 4th line minutes...huge difference.

No slight intended towards Harris. He was a decent pick early in the second, one of few decent picks by Blaine Smith and company. It hasn't worked out for him here. You probably know better than anyone why things soured with Cull but especially with Fixter this year. I feel your pain man... the kid showed lots of potential when he came here and things haven't worked out.

I'm sure that Smith and Fixter will be persuasive in the year meeting with the kid and make assurances that he will be an important cog for the team next. The reality is that their top 6 is in shambles and Harris could (should) be the #2 center. I imagine that's what they will promise. It's up to him to believe them or not. Or, they may simply believe that the relationship is beyond repair and ship him away. He still has some value. I could see a team like London picking him up for their 3rd line and basically steal him away from Sudbury.

It's the nature of Junior Hockey however. Unless you're a superstar, you're but a number that's interchangeable. For every player that exits the OHL content of his experience, there are 5 who regret foregoing their teenage years and their education to get shat on. There are too many grave examples of this lately.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
No slight intended towards Harris. He was a decent pick early in the second, one of few decent picks by Blaine Smith and company. It hasn't worked out for him here. You probably know better than anyone why things soured with Cull but especially with Fixter this year. I feel your pain man... the kid showed lots of potential when he came here and things haven't worked out.

I'm sure that Smith and Fixter will be persuasive in the year meeting with the kid and make assurances that he will be an important cog for the team next. The reality is that their top 6 is in shambles and Harris could (should) be the #2 center. I imagine that's what they will promise. It's up to him to believe them or not. Or, they may simply believe that the relationship is beyond repair and ship him away. He still has some value. I could see a team like London picking him up for their 3rd line and basically steal him away from Sudbury.

It's the nature of Junior Hockey however. Unless you're a superstar, you're but a number that's interchangeable. For every player that exits the OHL content of his experience, there are 5 who regret foregoing their teenage years and their education to get shat on. There are too many grave examples of this lately.

Agree. I believe promises were made and will be made to keep him here (unless there was already plans in the works to move him anyway). I, also, believe that promises are made to others as well. I think it just comes down to who cries the most about promises not being kept.

However, even if promises made to the kid...why would he even want to stay. Three years in a row he has been shaat on by coaching/management. Year one, didn't get played at all because he was not a first rounder...sat in the stands. Then injuries came and he played with Kuchin and they formed a good productive line.

Last year with Leivo and either Silk or Kubalik, they were the best line we had. Kahun was out. Then shunned to 3/4th line as soon as Kahun came back. Same things this year.

Now, if you look at the teams who actually get plenty of kids drafted (London, Guelph to name two of many), they let kids (all kids) get a shot at playing in all situations - PP/PK, 1st line, 2nd line, etc. The coaches and management see if they can play there. If they can, they stick. Sudbury, unless you are a 1st rounder, rarely let kids who are drafted 2nd round forward or higher play PP. Harris has been given a handful of shifts on PP over 3 years and when he has, he produced...strange.

I think for his sake he is moved either by his choice or Wolves choice. I sit at the games and everyone around me wonders same thing - why is he not playing or playing so little, why is not given the opportunity that others get.

Geez - Silk gets 9 points in over 60 games his first year and for some reason immexiately moves to top 2 lines his 2nd year onward, playing PP all the time and for the amunt of ice he gets does not get a lot in points.

I go back to my earlier statement. If the kid or agent screams at Blaine to play their player they will get what they need.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2014/04/01-wolves-reflect-season-sudbury.aspx

Interesting article in the 'official team newpaper' with an interview from Palazzese. He pretyy much says the players are to blame not management or owners, and takes exceptions with the anger directed towards Connor Burgess.

I'd like to point out at this point Palazzese has no need for any loyalty to Sudbury, these ring as very true words to me, and not 'towing the company line' He's an OA he's not coming back and has no more allegiances to the Wolves organization.

kenadian

Aug 11, 2005
And one can argue that the only reason the Northern Life quoted him was it (once again) puts positive spin on the Wolves.............and all those questioning the team coaches and ownership in a bad light (typical for the "official paper" even when it was the Sudbury Star)

Will the paper sit down with Burgess to discuss this year? And ask the hard questions? In years past he's done interviews.........

cub

Apr 11, 2012
http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2014/04/01-wolves-reflect-season-sudbury.aspx

Interesting article in the 'official team newpaper' with an interview from Palazzese. He pretyy much says the players are to blame not management or owners, and takes exceptions with the anger directed towards Connor Burgess.

I'd like to point out at this point Palazzese has no need for any loyalty to Sudbury, these ring as very true words to me, and not 'towing the company line' He's an OA he's not coming back and has no more allegiances to the Wolves organization.

Have you been to games this season? CB bumped many guys that should be in the starting lineup, he does not belong on the team period, he is on the team because his father is the owner. By this they are not putting the best players on ice to win.

I know players personally and they won't come out and say it but hint at it. They all dreaded if they had to be on his line. Organization blew great opportunity to have a great season but got up with ownership agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad