OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Were people really missing Gerry Callahan not being on the air though? Like, couldn't they get their fill of racism, misogyny, paranoia, and xenophobia from some hate group out there instead?

Like when 98.5 makes fun if French people and hangs up on hockey reporters bc of a southern accent which Montreal radio called embarrassing?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Like when 98.5 makes fun if French people and hangs up on hockey reporters bc of a southern accent which Montreal radio called embarrassing?

Why are you trying to make this a conversation about something I didn't say? If the Sports Hub does something crappy, it doesn't enable WEEI to also do something crappy. It's not like Callahan gets a free pass for being a completely terrible human being because there are other terrible human beings on the planet. He still owns his terrible behavior.

As for TSH, T&R do that gag to a lot of people. It's one of their regular things. And Fred seems to think it makes him look cool or hip. It doesn't. It makes him look sad and stupid. Just like Gerry railing at people for being less fortunate than he is, or for not looking like him, or practicing a different ideology than he does. None of that is good radio. None of that is acceptable.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Were people really missing Gerry Callahan not being on the air though? Like, couldn't they get their fill of racism, misogyny, paranoia, and xenophobia from some hate group out there instead?
I like him,I don't like him,but I don't think he's any of those things. Please don't start with the Metro thing,that's an insult to people who have suffered real racism.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I like him,I don't like him,but I don't think he's any of those things. Please don't start with the Metro thing,that's an insult to people who have suffered real racism.

While there are varying forms of racism and racist behaviors, I don't think dismissing his transgressions just because there have been worse ones is the route to take. All of them are unacceptable. As for Callahan, you like him, and that's fine. I would never expect someone who enjoys his brand of show to not listen if they wanted to just because I don't.

For the record, I didn't find the Metco thing to be even close to his worst thing uttered on radio. That title is easily held by the time he mocked a victim of sexual abuse because he didn't like her or her family (It was one of the Duggers when it came out that her much older brother had abused her and her sisters when they were young children). It was victim shaming in it's rawest form and morally repugnant. He treated it like a joke and thought it was funny to the point that he actually laughed about it on air. After him doing that, I give him no free passes and his opinions become irrelevant, that's how disgusting it was. But again, if you like his brand of humor/show, feel free to download his podcast and enjoy the crap out of it. It won't make a difference in my life.

Reactions: CDJ

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Gerry Callahan the only person on Twitter blocking me

Serious question because I don't use twitter, can you tell who is blocking you?

I can't on FB, so I'm just wondering.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
While there are varying forms of racism and racist behaviors, I don't think dismissing his transgressions just because there have been worse ones is the route to take. All of them are unacceptable. As for Callahan, you like him, and that's fine. I would never expect someone who enjoys his brand of show to not listen if they wanted to just because I don't.

For the record, I didn't find the Metco thing to be even close to his worst thing uttered on radio. That title is easily held by the time he mocked a victim of sexual abuse because he didn't like her or her family (It was one of the Duggers when it came out that her much older brother had abused her and her sisters when they were young children). It was victim shaming in it's rawest form and morally repugnant. He treated it like a joke and thought it was funny to the point that he actually laughed about it on air. After him doing that, I give him no free passes and his opinions become irrelevant, that's how disgusting it was. But again, if you like his brand of humor/show, feel free to download his podcast and enjoy the crap out of it. It won't make a difference in my life.

It's the racist tag that always irritates me. I grew up and lived for 38 years with Franklin Park on one side and Blue Hill Ave on the other,I've seen real racism,from both sides,the Metco thing was laughable on the racism scale,but maybe there were other things,I dropped out several years ago because I was allergic to Minihane.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Beasley Media Group Boston announces Rick Radzik has been named as the new Program Director at 98.5 The Sports Hub. He will officially begin his new role immediately.

Radzik is the second individual to serve as program director in the station’s decade-long history. He was instrumental in the official launch of 98.5 The Sports Hub and has served as the Assistant Program Director since the station signed on back in August 2009.

Previously, Radzik spent 15 years as a Producer at WBZ-AM, overseeing the Boston Bruins broadcasts. The sports radio veteran began his career at the former WEEI News Radio, producing the Bruins and Boston Celtics broadcasts, as well as various talk shows.

“Rick is a highly respected member of The Sports Hub team,” said Beasley Media Group Vice President and Market Manager Mary Menna. “We are looking forward to many more decades of wins under his leadership!”

“Rick has been a key member of the Sports Hub programming team since the station’s inception,” said Cadillac Jack, Director of Programming at Beasley Media Group’s Boston based radio cluster.

“The knowledge he has amassed over the past decade, coupled with his relationships and passion for continuing our winning history make him uniquely qualified to lead the Sports Hub into the 2020’s and beyond!”

Radzik replaces veteran sports programmer, Mike Thomas, who is leaving the station to become Market Manager at ESPN 1000 in Chicago. Thomas will remain on as a consultant for 98.5 The Sports Hub.

Beasley Media Classic Hits “Q105” 104.7 WRBQ Tampa has eliminated its fulltime midday host position as it parts ways with Paula Street.

Street joined WRBQ in March 2013 after just shy of a quarter century at CBS Radio’s “Oldies 103.3” WODS Boston from its 1988 launch until its flip to CHR in 2012. Early in her career she worked at 98.7 KLUV Dallas.

In the internal memo shared by Street, Beasley frames the layoff as part of a company-wide effort to reduce expenses.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Serious question because I don't use twitter, can you tell who is blocking you?

I can't on FB, so I'm just wondering.

upload_2019-12-14_12-16-37.png

BruinsNetwork

Incase anyone wants to hear @lost peanut and I talk about the Bruins, prospects, trades and cap space for two-hours. The Bruins Network Podcast Show is here! Big thanks to Dom for joining and keeping me in check for this two-hour span– I'm sure that was stressful in itself. This is on SoundCloud only for right now, but major platforms will be coming within the next couple of episodes. The introduction and other elements are currently in production still. That stuff will be done soon, so enjoy this here for now!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Incase anyone wants to hear @lost peanut and I talk about the Bruins, prospects, trades and cap space for two-hours. The Bruins Network Podcast Show is here! Big thanks to Dom for joining and keeping me in check for this two-hour span– I'm sure that was stressful in itself. This is on SoundCloud only for right now, but major platforms will be coming within the next couple of episodes. The introduction and other elements are currently in production still. That stuff will be done soon, so enjoy this here for now!

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016

Finally got to listen to it yesterday. Great job @BruinsNetwork and @lost peanut on this. Great info. Both you guys do a tremendous job. I miss the three amigos Dom with you Kirk and Reed. I listened to a episode you guys did last July the morning of my wedding and kept me from being nervous. Looking forward to more @BruinsNetwork and your interviews on Instagram. Outstanding job gentlemen. Great work. Very appreciated.

Reactions: lost peanut

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Just heard Wallach on T&R. He sounded good. Said the surgery took a lot out of him, but he plans on returning Jan. 2.

Reactions: Alicat

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Finally got to listen to it yesterday. Great job @BruinsNetwork and @lost peanut on this. Great info. Both you guys do a tremendous job. I miss the three amigos Dom with you Kirk and Reed. I listened to a episode you guys did last July the morning of my wedding and kept me from being nervous. Looking forward to more @BruinsNetwork and your interviews on Instagram. Outstanding job gentlemen. Great work. Very appreciated.

What you should have done on your wedding day is invite the three of us. We are way more fun in person and we still would have talked hockey!

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Dave O'Brien maybe is going back to weei?

I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Sean McDonough.

I have no problem with Castiglione -- not crazy about most of those that worked with him last year, especially Impemba.

I do like Merloni, but he probably wouldn't want that gig full time, but who knows?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Sean McDonough.

I have no problem with Castiglione -- not crazy about most of those that worked with him last year, especially Impemba.

I do like Merloni, but he probably wouldn't want that gig full time, but who knows?
We're opposites. I can't stand that hokie Castiglione. If I hear,"Can you believe it",one more time,I may drive to Marshfield and drown him in the North River-exhale. Love McDonough.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I wish you had posted a separate thread for this, as I just saw it this morning and gave it a listen- the news was buried in a thread where being that I am not local to New England, and where most of the talk is about Boston sports media, I don't visit very often.

So, hint hint.

Anyway, great podcast, I enjoyed listening to you and Dom shoot the shit about the Bruins and I learned some things that are good to know as a Bruin fan.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This team is a roller coaster

It's a one line team that has a lot of holes that are being covered up by how dominant that line is. The uneven play is because after the top line you get a second line using a 4th line stiff as it's RW regularly, and a third line with 2 guys that are defensively proficient but offensively inept.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wish you had posted a separate thread for this, as I just saw it this morning and gave it a listen- the news was buried in a thread where being that I am not local to New England, and where most of the talk is about Boston sports media, I don't visit very often.

So, hint hint.

Anyway, great podcast, I enjoyed listening to you and Dom shoot the **** about the Bruins and I learned some things that are good to know as a Bruin fan.

You can make one :)

Hint, hint, hint, hint!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad