OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Donnie Shulzhoffer

source.gif

The Red Sox under John Harrington did the impossible in 1999 - they LOST money on their local TV deal.

It started with a messy divorce from TV38 after the 1995 season and the Red Sox moved to Boston University-owned Channel 68 for 3 seasons (1996-98)

Channel 68 is remembered fondly but John Harrington hated dealing with BU because he went to BC and he gave the contract to 2 former CBS Sports executives that promised untold riches.

JCS Sports got the rights and then brokered airtime with stations in New England including Channel 56 in Boston. 56 got the games for nothing and in return was allowed to insert commercials several times during a game and JCS would keep all other ad revenue. The only problem was major Boston sponsors like Jordans Furniture and Ernie Boch simply bought time on WLVI and not with JCS.

JCS contracted with NESN to produce the OTA games and that the Red Sox would pay Sean and Jerry.

The Red Sox wound up losing millions on the 1999 local TV deal and that was a good season for the team. They never got a dime from JCS and to their credit paid the talent and production crew.

It was the beginning of the end for John Harrington and 2 years later he sold the team to John Henry and friends.

John Harrington has not been seen at Fenway Park since 2001.

I have fond memories of working for WABU - but without the Red Sox they were unable to sustain themselves and BU sold the station in 1999.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
@Donnie Shulzhoffer

source.gif

The Red Sox under John Harrington did the impossible in 1999 - they LOST money on their local TV deal.

It started with a messy divorce from TV38 after the 1995 season and the Red Sox moved to Boston University-owned Channel 68 for 3 seasons (1996-98)

Channel 68 is remembered fondly but John Harrington hated dealing with BU because he went to BC and he gave the contract to 2 former CBS Sports executives that promised untold riches.

JCS Sports got the rights and then brokered airtime with stations in New England including Channel 56 in Boston. 56 got the games for nothing and in return was allowed to insert commercials several times during a game and JCS would keep all other ad revenue. The only problem was major Boston sponsors like Jordans Furniture and Ernie Boch simply bought time on WLVI and not with JCS.

JCS contracted with NESN to produce the OTA games and that the Red Sox would pay Sean and Jerry.

The Red Sox wound up losing millions on the 1999 local TV deal and that was a good season for the team. They never got a dime from JCS and to their credit paid the talent and production crew.

It was the beginning of the end for John Harrington and 2 years later he sold the team to John Henry and friends.

John Harrington has not been seen at Fenway Park since 2001.

I have fond memories of working for WABU - but without the Red Sox they were unable to sustain themselves and BU sold the station in 1999.

Great post @Fenway ! Never knew these details.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Great post @Fenway ! Never knew these details.

John Harrington was clueless about media. He wanted to sell NESN numerous times but Jacobs would not allow it. He did not comprehend that NESN was worth more than the team which John Henry and the Dolan Family did in driving up the price.

He was convinced that Fenway was not financially viable :biglaugh:

Leaving TV38 was a mistake but he was ordered to by Bud Selig because the Blue Jays and Expos were furious that Red Sox games were beamed into Canada as WSBK was a superstation ( and still is today )

BruinsNetwork

No podcast until after Christmas. Anthony of Bruins Network has been placed on IR with norovirus and has withered away into a pile of spare parts.

Reactions: CDJ

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jeremy Roenick has been suspended by NBC Sports after the NHL analyst made comments on a Barstool Sports podcast about colleagues at the network.

The news was first reported by John Ourand at Sports Business Journal Monday, who received a statement from NBC Sports that said: “Jeremy Roenick has been suspended indefinitely without pay for making inappropriate comments about his co-workers. We will have no further comment at this time.”

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Jeremy Roenick has been suspended by NBC Sports after the NHL analyst made comments on a Barstool Sports podcast about colleagues at the network.
The news was first reported by John Ourand at Sports Business Journal Monday, who received a statement from NBC Sports that said: “Jeremy Roenick has been suspended indefinitely without pay for making inappropriate comments about his co-workers. We will have no further comment at this time.”

The Sharp comment was a joke that would only be offsensive to homophobes.

The Tappen comment wasn’t professional (which the podcast isn’t meant to be), but I don’t see a huge issue if she’s friends with him and his wife.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

All the sexual harassment that has been going on for years at NBC and this is suspend worthy? Matt Lauer? Mike Tirico?

What a fraud organization

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Roenick got hosed. I consider myself pretty strict when it comes to what people say, but this is a total non issue. I almost feel bad for anyone that has to speak for a living at this point.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
JR got what he deserves. Those comments about Kathryn Tappen were unnecessary and just gross

He's gotta be smarter and when Biz and RA have to try to start you back to appropriate discussion, you know the line has been crossed.

Reactions: lopey and sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
If she’s offended yes but he was goofing around and they have a great relationship

It’s bull **** he got suspended
We will never know if she was offended and that is the way it should be.

He represents NBC Sports and his appearance on the podcast was an extension of his role on the broadcast.

NBC was smart to suspend him without pay rather than fire him and JR should be thankful this is all that has happened.

Think before you speak next time JR

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I doubt it had anything to do with Tappen and everything to do with it giving NBC a bad look

I think it’s lame but it’s the world we live in. Can’t jeopardize ad dollars. Although I think this would’ve completely blown over because I had no idea about it until he was suspended lol

Reactions: Pia8988

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I wasn’t I hang with them all the time - text or talk every day go out often they just happen to be babes - just like JR with Tappin

complete BS

If they talked to her and she was offended that’s one thing but I doubt it

I’m offended over how we have become a society of d bags
yup. once again i blame twitter. probably a bunch of tweets about it and there ya go.

Reactions: NMF and DKH

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The suspension was ordered by NBC/Universal - NOT NBC SPORTS

The NBC/Universal employee/contractor booklet is lengthy and we all have to sign it.

Compounding this is HR is based in Philadelphia, not Manhattan.

Reactions: Alicat and DKH

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The suspension was ordered by NBC/Universal - NOT NBC SPORTS

The NBC/Universal employee/contractor booklet is lengthy and we all have to sign it.

Compounding this is HR is based in Philadelphia, not Manhattan.
Thanks for clarifying this Fenway!

Reactions: lopey

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
We will never know if she was offended and that is the way it should be.

He represents NBC Sports and his appearance on the podcast was an extension of his role on the broadcast.

NBC was smart to suspend him without pay rather than fire him and JR should be thankful this is all that has happened.

Think before you speak next time JR
Seriously. It’s not like she’s going to make a public comment on it. Because SHE’S TOO CLASSY.

Also can’t believe how many people (men) are defending these comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad