OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Entercom is going to do something drastic after this book

The Red Sox really hurt WEEI and now what?

A couple of months ago Entercom launched WBGB without announcers and it has caught on.

upload_2020-9-30_21-26-56.png

upload_2020-9-30_21-28-18.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Red Sox ratings on NESN during the abbreviated 2020 season were as underwhelming as the team’s on-field results.

Viewership of Red Sox broadcasts on their regional cable network during the 60-game season dropped 54 percent compared to the first 60 games of the 2019 season, per Nielsen Media Research data that was first reported by Forbes on Sunday night.

The average television rating for a Red Sox broadcast on NESN was 2.14 this season, down from 5.15 through the first 60 games of 2019, a drop of 58 percent. (NESN averaged a 5.25 across all 162 games last year, that down more than 20 percent from the dominant 2018 season.)

960x0.jpg

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Joe Murray talking Bruins and Krug trade on Sports Hub is insufferable. Is it too much to ask for informed hockey takes on the radio? Give Ty Anderson a spin. Anyone!
He was bad enough, but then the first caller says he hates Sweeney because he traded a first round pick for Nick Ritchie, astonishing how dumb the talk was this morning

Reactions: Serge

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was bad enough, but then the first caller says he hates Sweeney because he traded a first round pick for Nick Ritchie, astonishing how dumb the talk was this morning
Only show on 98.5 worth listening to for entertainment is Felger

the morning show is creepy these days with Fred a train wreck

love to have Jon Wallach as a neighbor but he is lacking on sports knowledge- nice guy though

WEEI still feeling the effects of Glen Ordway- his obnoxious Big Show destroyed that station

amazing he’s back

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

love to have Jon Wallach as a neighbor but he is lacking on sports knowledge- nice guy though

WEEI still feeling the effects of Glen Ordway- his obnoxious Big Show destroyed that station

amazing he’s back
I love Zolak and Beetle when they talk Patriots, though they're clearly lacking on the other sports in town. Zo's inside knowledge of the Pats makes it worth a listen.

And yeah, I haven't listened to T&R nearly as much since Fred cracked up and got sent to rehab.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love Zolak and Beetle when they talk Patriots, though they're clearly lacking on the other sports in town. Zo's inside knowledge of the Pats makes it worth a listen.

And yeah, I haven't listened to T&R nearly as much since Fred cracked up and got sent to rehab.
Zo is A+ on football and should be on network games ~ Beetle is a hot mess

after that the show sucks

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Zo is A+ on football and should be on network games ~ Beetle is a hot mess

after that the show sucks
The station was much better when Beetle was the third chair on Felger & Mazz and Gresh was on the midday show. I don't even care much for Gresh, but the show flowed a lot better with him than with Beetle. Some people are just really good as the third chair and suck as a main host - like Joe Murray, as a backup who chimes in every once in a while, I like him. I'd never listen to a Joe Murray show though.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody

amazing he’s back
Oh, I agree 100% with that. WEEI is terrible all day, funny they took the greg hill show and got rid of the sports guy (LB) when they moved to the sports radio station. At least LB was entertaining. They recycled Dale Arnold and ordway for some reason. Felger actually knows hockey and is a bruins fan; most of what he says is just to rile the callers up. I rarely listen or watch anymore honestly, with 3 kids under 6 in the car talk radio is a non starter haha. Thank god my 6 year old daughter loves Frank Sinatra so we end up with that on most of the time

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Doc's voice is permanently bedded in my brain, along with Darren Pang's, as they were the commentators on NHL Faceoff 1999, which I played the crap out of on my playstation back in the day. "HIT THE POST WITH THE SHOOOOTTT!!!!"

Doc is a legend, and I will remember him fondly. That said, I do feel a lot of these sports broadcast legends stay on air too long, and it deprives the viewers of getting the best younger, more modern talent on the broadcasts.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Never liked him. Overrated and lost whatever fastball he had years ago. Wish him a great retirement, and please hire Forslund. He's the best.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Doc was great.

He'd lost his fastball at the end, but still awesome.

I wonder of Forslund becomes the #1.
I think he's great.

Forslund to the #1 spot seems like an easy decision. Selfishly, I'd love if they tossed Jack Edwards and brought in Forslund, assuming Goucher isn't available, but that seems like it will never happen.

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad