OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Because he hasn't. :)

I'm a broken record on this one but it always bothered me that Shaughnessy had the lead article in the Globe on the Bruins cup win in 2011. He was the last journalist who deserved that job. Cares nothing about the sport.

He cares not a bit as you state yet puts forth BS column/opinions on things. I gave up reading both he and Dupes who I used to really enjoy reading but I`ve also felt started really getting lazy when doing a B`s column offering not one bit of insight that I haven`t read many here provide

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
He cares not a bit as you state yet puts forth BS column/opinions on things. I gave up reading both he and Dupes who I used to really enjoy reading but I`ve also felt started really getting lazy when doing a B`s column offering not one bit of insight that I haven`t read many here provide

I was disappointed when Dupes put out the 'Is McAvoy a problem child' article. We already have a couple of headline mongerers on the beat. No need for a HOF journalist to join them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was disappointed when Dupes put out the 'Is McAvoy a problem child' article. We already have a couple of headline mongerers on the beat. No need for a HOF journalist to join them.

yep, lazy, can`t come up with a story with truth, honesty and maybe some details coming from having conversations with those in the know, just toss a bunch of crud against a wall, see what sticks

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Dupes lost his fastball a long time ago. His Sunday hockey column used to be required reading. Now I wouldn't use his meandering, phone-it-in nonsense to line a birdcage. Too bad, because unlike Shank, he once had credibility.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Because he hasn't. :)

I'm a broken record on this one but it always bothered me that Shaughnessy had the lead article in the Globe on the Bruins cup win in 2011. He was the last journalist who deserved that job. Cares nothing about the sport.

I felt the same way. He's a piece of shit. Always was, always will be.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not trying to persuade anyone to change their mind about any writers out there....just making an observation.

Being a columnist is immensely more difficult today compared to pre internet.

I remember reading every Bruins article and watching the 6:00 pm newscast on game days for a pre game update because that was our only access to the team, aside from watching the games.

Today we’re 3 clicks away from thousands of words and opinions on any team we want and it’s probably spoiled us as fans and made the writers more lazy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
EMRICK, LEY, KING, KORNHEISER ELECTED TO NSMA HALL OF FAME | National Sports Media Association

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (January 14, 2019) – Mike “Doc” Emrick, Bob Ley, Peter King, and Tony Kornheiser have been voted into the National Sports Media Association Hall of Fame and will be inducted this June, NSMA executive director Dave Goren announced. Goren also said that NSMA members voted Doris Burke as the 2018 National Sportscaster of the Year, Adrian Wojnarowski as the 2018 National Sportswriter of the Year; and members in each state elected 109 state Sportscasters and Sportswriters of the Year from 49 states, plus the District of Columbia. They will be honored during the 60th annual NSMA Awards Weekend, June 22-24, 2019 in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Emrick has served as the lead play-by-play voice for National Hockey League telecasts on NBC Sports and NBCSN since 2011, just the latest stint in a hockey broadcasting career that began in 1973, as the voice of the Port Huron Flags. He has won the prestigious Foster Hewitt Award from the Hockey Hall of Fame and is enshrined in the United States Hockey Hall of Fame. He is a three-time winner of the NSMA’s National Sportscaster of the Year Award and a five-time winner of a Sports Emmy for Best Play-by-Play, including the last four years in a row.

Ley is synonymous with ESPN, beginning as a SportsCenter anchor on the network’s third day of operation. A longtime fixture on the SportsCenter desk, Ley has spent the better part of the last 28 years as the host of ESPN’s award-winning Outside the Lines program, which examines issues of the day in the sports world that go beyond the playing field and arena.

After getting his start in the newspaper business, King spent 29 years covering pro football at Sports Illustrated. His last 20 years at SI, he became known for his weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column, which frequently ran 6,000-to-8,000 words and covered everything NFL. Last July, King moved to NBCSports.com, where his Football Morning in America column runs each Monday.

Kornheiser spent 35 years as a sportswriter at the Washington Post, becoming a sports columnist for one of the nation’s premier sports sections in 1984. He branched out into radio, with The Tony Kornhesier Show in 1992. The show is now available as a podcast. And since 1992, Kornheiser and former Washington Post co-workerMichael Wilbon have co-hosted ESPN’s popular Pardon the Interruption.

MASSACHUSETTS SPORTSCASTER OF THE YEAR
Mike Gorman, Celtics TV/NBCSports Boston, Boston (2)

MASSACHUSETTS SPORTSWRITER OF THE YEAR

Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe, Boston (13)

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Stan Grossfeld, legendary photog, has actually done more interesting stories the last couple of years, the kind you go out and find. Nothing against Dan, but he's basically riding on the local teams' coattails.

Articles by Stan Grossfeld | The Boston Globe Journalist | Muck Rack

Bruins fans’ loyalty is as clear as the shirts on their backs - The Boston Globe

Reactions: Fenway

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hilarious. When I think of all time loser sports writers of the 20th century. Dan is a finalist

The irony is that he won it for 2018 by recycling his old columns from the 80s and 90s and simply changing the names to current players. He's been doing that for years. Literally the epitome of lazy journalism...

Reactions: Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The irony is that he won it for 2018 by recycling his old columns from the 80s and 90s and simply changing the names to current players. He's been doing that for years. Literally the epitome of lazy journalism...

He and Volins takes on the Pats are terrible too, Similar to Felger and Mazz I've never read or listened a group so consistently wrong. Max Kellerman level wrong. I assume they all have to bash the Pats bc either the Globe owns the Sox or 98.5 is a bruins network?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He and Volins takes on the Pats are terrible too, Similar to Felger and Mazz I've never read or listened a group so consistently wrong. Max Kellerman level wrong. I assume they all have to bash the Pats bc either the Globe owns the Sox or 98.5 is a bruins network?

98.5 broadcasts the Pats, Celts, and Bruins. Felger and Mazz are simply doing a schtick that they know will irritate callers enough to make them call in and argue. Volins and CHB are both complete hacks and always take the lazy way out of every story the write. They write things that they know will be viewed as controversial and generate buzz for themselves.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

And he was never good to begin with. He came in on the coattails of Peter Gammons and Bob Ryan (and to a lesser extent Leigh Montville) and was touted to be that gereration’s version of them.

He just piggy backed on their success and tried to be the edgy counter the narrative guy which was the blueprint for all the crap we now call sports radio.

Funny thing is he wasn’t innovative, trolls like Leo Egan and Al Stump had that game mastered long before Shank came along

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Tell me again why anyone should read this paper or believe anything they state.

A main quote from the article.

"“Patriots fans don’t care anymore,” opined Massachusetts native and Esquire political writer Charles P. Pierce". I am sure this cat has the pulse of Patriot nation.

Did the Globe send anyone to the rally on Sunday which had a record breaking crowd of 35,000?

But what should we expect by a Red Sox owned newspaper knowing that the Patriots are more popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

"“Patriots fans don’t care anymore,” opined Massachusetts native and Esquire political writer Charles P. Pierce". I am sure this cat has the pulse of Patriot nation.

Did the Globe send anyone to the rally on Sunday which had a record breaking crowd of 35,000?

But what should we expect by a Red Sox owned newspaper knowing that the Patriots are more popular.

Not true for Pats but definitely true for Sox

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The irony in all this is the person who blocked the new Fenway Park in 2000, Stephen Mindich, is now deceased.

John Harrington needed the Boston Phoenix holdings on Brookline Ave to make his Fenway Park II dream a reality and Mindich would not sell and the Yawkey Trust then decided to bail and JWH and friends wound up with the team.

What team is the most popular today is age driven - if you are older than 5o it is most likely the Red Sox but the Patriots now own the 18-49 demographic.

The time WILL come when the Patriots collapse and then Foxborough becomes a liability again. The Krafts have never had to deal with less than capacity crowds and I don't think Jonathan Kraft will be able to deal with a losing team. One thing we have learned in almost 50 years, if the Pats are winning, fans will tolerate Foxborough - if they are a bad team fans will not put up with it.

What nobody saw back in 2002 was how John Henry looked at the Kenmore/Fenway area and saw real estate gold and look at where it is now.

THIRTY FOUR years ago :wally:

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Charles P. Pierce is in love with the words and pearls of wisdom he graciously allows the great unwashed to read and hear. Major blowhard if there ever was one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad