OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
not sure if this falls under the Football thread, here, or both.

but praise the lord, the ears of all MNF viewers are saved.

Witten is leaving the booth and going back to playing for the Cowboys

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
not sure if this falls under the Football thread, here, or both.

but praise the lord, the ears of all MNF viewers are saved.

Witten is leaving the booth and going back to playing for the Cowboys
Yeah he was really bad.

Curious who they'll end up replacing him with (please don't be Peyton..)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
This guy on EEI right now is Gawd awful.

He started out bringing up Kyrie...and has gone all over the place to anything and everything on the planet over the last half hour...and literally hasn’t completed a single point.

Laughable. Just some guy babbling about nothing on the air. That appeared to be the plan.

* Ben Maller

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Zo had to tell Beetle to shut up and take someone's Bruins call a little while ago.

I hope the Bruins burn the station again with another commercial like last year.

The station was the go to place for Bruins talk in 2011 and in 2013 until Aaron Hernandez decided to murder someone during the Finals in 2013.

I'm so over the damn Celtics talk but I listen in the office because it's not really offensive.

I don’t know which is worse, someone like Maller, I just mentioned, who literally talks into the mic about whatever comes into his mind...squirrel!...and never makes a point...or someone like Zo who is absolutely obnoxious and makes Jack Edwards look fair and balanced. Yeah, he used to be a QB for the Pats, but he sounds like the drunk super fan at the end of the bar.

Both are up for The Worst. Imo.

Well, old Boston (not in a good way) guy, Callahan takes that on merit. That guy is a very angry hateful dude. He must be a real treasure for his fam over the Thanksgiving table.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Once upon a time going back to the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, NBC had the AFC and CBS had the NFC. (ABC had Monday Night) When the merger happened 3 NFL teams moved to the AFC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore but NBC's biggest stand-alone market was Boston. CBS had Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit.

Everything was status quo for nearly 25 years until the FOX Network appeared and the NFL shocked everybody when they gave the NFC to FOX in 1994 and CBS was OUT. Then CBS outbid NBC for the AFC and it took a few years for NBC to get Sunday Night Football and ESPN wound up with MNF.

Here in Boston, CBS has a lovefest with Kraft that includes the CBS sports bar in Foxborough. FOX wanted the 49ers rights in SF so badly that they traded FOX25 and a station they owned in Memphis to Cox in return for Channel 2 in Oakland that was a FOX affiliate.

Cox actually got a good deal to bail out of the Bay Area as the station's credibility was destroyed in the Bay Area Asian community after this 'Breaking News' fiasco - to this day I can not fathom how this made air without somebody saying 'Ummmm I think we got pranked'.

So the Oakland news director comes to Boston in the trade and the first thing he does is fire Maria Stephanos :help: as he felt a Cox anchor in Orlando (Vanessa Welch) could come to Boston for 1/3rd the price and nobody here would notice. Channel 5 snapped up Maria and now own the market and Channel 25 is

The point I am making is after all this these networks are going to play hardball.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Once upon a time going back to the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, NBC had the AFC and CBS had the NFC. (ABC had Monday Night) When the merger happened 3 NFL teams moved to the AFC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore but NBC's biggest stand-alone market was Boston. CBS had Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit.

Everything was status quo for nearly 25 years until the FOX Network appeared and the NFL shocked everybody when they gave the NFC to FOX in 1994 and CBS was OUT. Then CBS outbid NBC for the AFC and it took a few years for NBC to get Sunday Night Football and ESPN wound up with MNF.

Here in Boston, CBS has a lovefest with Kraft that includes the CBS sports bar in Foxborough. FOX wanted the 49ers rights in SF so badly that they traded FOX25 and a station they owned in Memphis to Cox in return for Channel 2 in Oakland that was a FOX affiliate.

Cox actually got a good deal to bail out of the Bay Area as the station's credibility was destroyed in the Bay Area Asian community after this 'Breaking News' fiasco - to this day I can not fathom how this made air without somebody saying 'Ummmm I think we got pranked'.

So the Oakland news director comes to Boston in the trade and the first thing he does is fire Maria Stephanos :help: as he felt a Cox anchor in Orlando (Vanessa Welch) could come to Boston for 1/3rd the price and nobody here would notice. Channel 5 snapped up Maria and now own the market and Channel 25 is

The point I am making is after all this these networks are going to play hardball.

CBS may want to distance themselves from the patriots for awhile Robert Kraft Leslie Moonves Photostream

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Jack was beyond ****ing insufferable tonight. Goucher is so much better than he is.

Yeah, he was pretty terrible. You know he's laying it on too thick when Andy "I'll shill anything for the Bruins front office" Brickley is the voice of reason and countering his play by play calls.

Reactions: Pia8988

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Or when Acciari and jousting after the whistle and Jack screams about how the FLA player deserves a penalty for roughing, despite both of them throwing jabs at each other.
Went against his script. Which included last night during Chara stick handling..."Chara dusts off the puck".

Reactions: LSCII

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don’t know which is worse, someone like Maller, I just mentioned, who literally talks into the mic about whatever comes into his mind...squirrel!...and never makes a point...or someone like Zo who is absolutely obnoxious and makes Jack Edwards look fair and balanced. Yeah, he used to be a QB for the Pats, but he sounds like the drunk super fan at the end of the bar.

Both are up for The Worst. Imo.

Well, old Boston (not in a good way) guy, Callahan takes that on merit. That guy is a very angry hateful dude. He must be a real treasure for his fam over the Thanksgiving table.

Better that than the 98.5 agitators who play contrarian just for ratings 24/7.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Or when Acciari and jousting after the whistle and Jack screams about how the FLA player deserves a penalty for roughing, despite both of them throwing jabs at each other.

To be fair the Panthers player by far threw the hardest shot and to the head of Acciari. In the recent era of big bad Bruins that resulted in only the Bruin going to the box. Or the crosscheck to Backes after the puck was in the net. The times are changing but the subconscious memories of that lingers. The Bruins are still seen as the bullies and I presume the Flyers are as well.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Meanwhile, we are hearing both Sinclair and Disney have made gigantic offers to buy NESN. NBC/Comcast have also kicked the tires. NESN is probably worth at least one and a half billion.

Yankees buy YES Network back from Disney in reported $3.5 billion deal

On Friday, The Yankees, Amazon, Sinclair Broadcast Group, and a collection of private equity investors claimed 80 percent of the network formerly controlled by 21st Century Fox, according to multiple reports.

The deal comes as part of the legal condition of Disney’s 21st Century Fox acquisition, which was to sell off all of Fox’s Regional Sports Networks.

The Yankees will be the largest shareholder of the group — 30 percent — over YES Network, according to the reports. The franchise initially had 20 percent ownership of the network.

YES airs Yankee games, along with Nets and New York City FC games.

The Yankees gaining more control over the network named after them is important, but the other parties involved also imply a growing future for the network’s reach in more homes both by cable and online.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Meanwhile, we are hearing both Sinclair and Disney have made gigantic offers to buy NESN. NBC/Comcast have also kicked the tires. NESN is probably worth at least one and a half billion.

Yankees buy YES Network back from Disney in reported $3.5 billion deal

On Friday, The Yankees, Amazon, Sinclair Broadcast Group, and a collection of private equity investors claimed 80 percent of the network formerly controlled by 21st Century Fox, according to multiple reports.

The deal comes as part of the legal condition of Disney’s 21st Century Fox acquisition, which was to sell off all of Fox’s Regional Sports Networks.

The Yankees will be the largest shareholder of the group — 30 percent — over YES Network, according to the reports. The franchise initially had 20 percent ownership of the network.

YES airs Yankee games, along with Nets and New York City FC games.

The Yankees gaining more control over the network named after them is important, but the other parties involved also imply a growing future for the network’s reach in more homes both by cable and online.
I hope it’s not Sinclair. That company is pure trash.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If NESN was bought by Sinclair, they'd be contractually obligated to throw down to Alex Kraemer once a period to do a report on the dangers of progressive taxation and open borders.

Let's keep politics out of this but I have a couple of friends who work at WJAR Channel 10 in Providence and they are embarrassed by some of the stories they are forced to air.

Sinclair is funding the new Cubs station and now they have a part of the Yankees so NESN is a very attractive property to them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Better that than the 98.5 agitators who play contrarian just for ratings 24/7.

I don't know what this means. Are you saying that Bob Beers and Judd Sirott say things to aggravate the listeners of Bruins games? Or is your commentary about the station in general and really about Felger, Mazz, and the rest of them?

I ask because one is related to the call of a Bruins game, and saying they're agitators wildly wrong IMO, and the other is comparing apples to oranges. I also think that Beers is tremendous.

Either way, Jack Edwards is f***ing terrible. No other statements needed. Nothing another radio personality does makes Jack's act any better. It's awful. All on it's own. Just lousy.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad