Official Sochi Thread: Canada Third in Medal Standings 10G 10S 5B

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Now we go from watching possibly the best Olympic team we've ever seen, to the Leafs. :facepalm:
It was a fantastic Canadian team, but they weren't an exciting one. Overall men's hockey at the Olympics left a lot to be desired. We saw 3-4 exciting games over a 2 week span and that would include all of the major hockey nations.

The Olympics are a nice break, but I'm excited to see NHL hockey back.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So after the tremendous Olpympic coverage, SportsNET goes back to showing.....poker.

The next time I hear a Rogers employee say no one cares about Olympic sports between the actual games, they're getting an email about the top notch amateur sports programming they offer.

In fact I might just right them one now, actually.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So after the tremendous Olpympic coverage, SportsNET goes back to showing.....poker.

The next time I hear a Rogers employee say no one cares about Olympic sports between the actual games, they're getting an email about the top notch amateur sports programming they offer.

i just sent a tweet. this is freaking crazy - i know they can't show stuff now because of the IOC embargo, but poker?

[and tsn is no better, let's just wait for the Spelling Bee]

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
i just sent a tweet. this is freaking crazy - i know they can't show stuff now because of the IOC embargo, but poker?

[and tsn is no better, let's just wait for the Spelling Bee]

Its all about TV ratings. Just like TSN pushing a Raptors game to TSN2 because of the Daytona 500

Believe it or not, lots of people watch poker (not me)

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net

id rather watch bingo hall wrestling than poker..

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its all about TV ratings. Just like TSN pushing a Raptors game to TSN2 because of the Daytona 500

Believe it or not, lots of people watch poker (not me)

Thats fine. But then dont have your employees go on the radio and chastise us for not caring about amateur sport when were not given the opportunity to watch any of it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Montreal are top 5 in goals against in the NHL this year, our Leafs are bottom 5. There is a -40 goals against difference between Montreal and Toronto on the season.

Is Carey Price the reason for Montreal's defense (low GA) or is it the skaters in front of him?.

Is Bernier/Reimer the reason for Leafs defense (high GA) or is it the skaters in front of them?

Carey Price's entire career has been one half awesome one half terrible. When not on fire, there's little hope his team bails him out. If the kid ever figures out mental fortitude, he could be dangerous.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Just gauging opinions....so host nation Russia won the most golds and total medals. Coincidence or a whole lot of greasy cheating?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Just gauging opinions....so host nation Russia won the most golds and total medals. Coincidence or a whole lot of greasy cheating?

no - i think it's about accurate. they had a few medals based on judging (figure skating), but a lot came from timed events.

we had the most golds and top 3 in medals in vancouver - no one suggested this about Canada. host nations tend to do really really well.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Jesus christ dude I know you love to be buzz killington but that's pretty impressive for a woman who's not in bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm not sure why you enjoy making condescending responses.

Even by 'elite' squat standards, a woman of her body weight normally does around 250. 340 is no joke.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

I'm just saying bro, as an Olympic Bobsledder, you would think that she would be around there anyways. We are not talking about your average everyday woman, we are talking about Olympic athletes who train all their lives for this.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

The home team always gets a boost. They get to field the most athletes and you could really see the extra push home field advantage gave them in sports like Biathlon and speed skating.

They always win medals in figure skating, they are a power in that sport like we are so that was never the difference maker.

The bobsled advantage is huge too since they get to train on the course more often, we had the same boost there in Vancouver.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Hosting Countries usually dump money into the development of their athletes leading up to their Olympics. Canada did the same thing for Vancouver.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I'm just saying bro, as an Olympic Bobsledder, you would think that she would be around there anyways. We are not talking about your average everyday woman, we are talking about Olympic athletes who train all their lives for this.

Not really, I knew she'd be strong but not 340 lbs. And look at the link I posted, it's results from comprehensive testing and even at 'elite' level it's still 100 lbs under than what she is squatting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad