Official Sochi Thread: Canada Third in Medal Standings 10G 10S 5B

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I think the Americans (and everyone else) put too much stock into beating a very overrated Russian Team in a shootout.

From the beginning of the tourny I though the Russians were being overhyped due to being at home and that game gave me confidence that the US were not all that good

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
I think the Americans (and everyone else) put too much stock into beating a very overrated Russian Team in a shootout.

From the beginning of the tourny I though the Russians were being overhyped due to being at home and that game gave me confidence that the US were not all that good

Well the Russians probably played their best game of the tournament against the US. So I don't think it was that USA was bad, Russia was just good on that day, including a strong performance from Bobrovsky.

Heading into the semis, the US team, in comparison to the other three teams, deserved to be pegged as the strongest, based on performance up until that point. They just happened to run into a very, very strong Canadian defense and I can't help but feel that their motivation for the bronze medal game wasn't as high as it could be. But Finland is also a very strong defensive team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
US should be given credit for scoring lots of goals with ease prior to last night. Canada played also some weak teams but couldn't score (outside of the Austria game). Canada also couldn't score more than one lousy goal against them. It could have very easily been 1-0 for the USA.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
US should be given credit for scoring lots of goals with ease prior to last night. Canada played also some weak teams but couldn't score (outside of the Austria game). Canada also couldn't score more than one lousy goal against them. It could have very easily been 1-0 for the USA.

I think Canada is playing the game they want to play and that's all that really matters at this point.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Wow, and Slovenia is on it too. I really hope so. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't a Canadian - cheaters shouldn't prosper. Also - South Korea is officially protesting the ladies figureskating results [that didn't take long].

If it's true and the case is won, I'd feel bad for the French athletes if they lost their medals not knowing what their training staff had done.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
We still have an outside chance of winning the Olympics. Gold in every event tomorrow works. We have finalists in every event tomorrow.

Another scenario would involve us taking 2 golds and a silver, with the Russians and Norwegians winning nothing more than a bronze.

Either way, after the start we had, a top 5 finish is pretty damn good. If Hamelin didn't under perform we would have comfortably taken these Olympics as well.

Actually, we can still get one more gold due to the appeal against the French in men's ski cross.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
We still have an outside chance of winning the Olympics. Gold in every event tomorrow works. We have finalists in every event tomorrow.

Another scenario would involve us taking 2 golds and a silver, with the Russians and Norwegians winning nothing more than a bronze.

Either way, after the start we had, a top 5 finish is pretty damn good. If Hamelin didn't under perform we would have comfortably taken these Olympics as well.

Actually, we can still get one more gold due to the appeal against the French in men's ski cross.

We'll win hockey, but it is extremely unlikely we medal in either the four-man bobsleigh or Cross Country Skiing. I think we'll just have to be happy with a 25-medal haul.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Russia bringing the big O home in style, podium sweep in cross country ski and gold in 4 man BS.

Looks like big red is back :sarcasm::laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Ummm, even with CH doing his thing we don't catch the big bear, 2 golds today and a silv plus bronz

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Gold successfully defended :handclap:
Puck possession, defensive effort (including the back-check) were unreal. I'm pretty satisfied, off to make some coffee now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Always sad to see the Olympics close .. So much awesomeness happens over a short time, it goes by so fast .. And then we have to wait for another 4 years

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Always sad to see the Olympics close .. So much awesomeness happens over a short time, it goes by so fast .. And then we have to wait for another 4 years

two! :)
Rio's coming up!

[but winter is my favourite - so much more intimate, you can watch more events than you can in the summer]

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Now we're going to have to hear all the whining through the media about how no one cares about these sports at any time except the Olympics. Which is just plain garbage, because we're not given the opportunity to watch them, by that very same media.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Now we're going to have to hear all the whining through the media about how no one cares about these sports at any time except the Olympics. Which is just plain garbage, because we're not given the opportunity to watch them, by that very same media.

i know. it makes me SO MAD -
I mean - it's true, we do ignore them, only because the Media force-feeds us the Big 4. Seriously, I can not believe no one at TSN had the light bulb go off and say "wait a minute - we can totally revolutionize how Canada views amateur sport.

mikebel111*

Considering the tough stretch we had in the middle.
I am happy with our medals.
Its too bad our luck in speedskating was terrible

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Pretty impressive where we finished. There were a few events where things really didn't go as expected. A fun Olympics as a whole. A good start and a good finish. Definitely proud of the effort put out by the Canadians.

Now back to the normal stuff and going into the long wait for the next Winter Olympics :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad