OT: Official Soccer thread

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Now it's 3-1 Chelsea at halftime. Welcome to the Premier League.

I feel as though Chelsea and City are going to be beasts this year.

Then probably some combination of Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Everton, and Spurs for the last two champions league spots, and the two places (depending on Cups) in Europa.

I'm interested to see how playing in the Champions League (Liverpool) after not being in Europe vs. not playing in Europe (United) affects both of those squads.

Seems strange, but it would almost appear that Spurs best shot at the CL is winning the EL.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I feel as though Chelsea and City are going to be beasts this year.

Then probably some combination of Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Everton, and Spurs for the last two champions league spots, and the two places (depending on Cups) in Europa.

way to go out on a limb... :)

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
way to go out on a limb... :)

Tough to do that until we see how silly season ends. My feelings about Spurs place in the pecking order changes quite a bit if they get Schneiderlin, Musacchio, and Depay in LevyTime.

If those players go to Arsenal and United, then 7th, maybe 6th.

But since we want to go out on a limb, I'll say Chelski, Citeh, United, Gooners Liverpool, Spurs, Everton

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
And just like that, the Revs are hot again after a 3-1 over defending MLS Champions Sporting Kansas City. Revs now alone in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference... six points behind SKC for 2nd with a game in hand.

Lee Nguyen scored twice for the Revs. Jermaine Jones assisted on Teal Bunbury's 45th minute goal in his first start for New England.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
And just like that, the Revs are hot again after a 3-1 over defending MLS Champions Sporting Kansas City. Revs now alone in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference... six points behind SKC for 2nd with a game in hand.

Lee Nguyen scored twice for the Revs. Jermaine Jones assisted on Teal Bunbury's 45th minute goal in his first start for New England.

I actually watched the entire game, start to finish. It was far more entertaining than I anticipated.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I actually watched the entire game, start to finish. It was far more entertaining than I anticipated.
The Revs are kind of gaining a reputation around MLS as one of the better teams to watch because they're constantly attacking. Seattle's got a chance to set a league record for wins in a season, and when they came to Foxboro, the Revs spanked them 5-0. The next week, they scored another five goals on the road in Philadelphia... but the wheels came off after that.

Their system is all about finding a "target" forward that can hold the ball, distribute it cleanly, and make the right runs off the ball. When they get it, they're possibly the most dangerous attacking team in the league. When they don't, they struggle.

Also, Jermaine Jones is a huge difference-maker for the Revs. In the past, when the Revs lost the ball in the attacking 1/3rd of the field, they struggled to win it back before the ball got into their own defending 1/3rd on the field. That puts a ton of pressure on the defense. On a lot of nights, Jones will be able to turn that scenario around completely because he doesn't give the ball away and he's a terrific ball-winner. He literally changes where the game is played on any given night.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The Revs are kind of gaining a reputation around MLS as one of the better teams to watch because they're constantly attacking. Seattle's got a chance to set a league record for wins in a season, and when they came to Foxboro, the Revs spanked them 5-0. The next week, they scored another five goals on the road in Philadelphia... but the wheels came off after that.

Their system is all about finding a "target" forward that can hold the ball, distribute it cleanly, and make the right runs off the ball. When they get it, they're possibly the most dangerous attacking team in the league. When they don't, they struggle.

Also, Jermaine Jones is a huge difference-maker for the Revs. In the past, when the Revs lost the ball in the attacking 1/3rd of the field, they struggled to win it back before the ball got into their own defending 1/3rd on the field. That puts a ton of pressure on the defense. On a lot of nights, Jones will be able to turn that scenario around completely because he doesn't give the ball away and he's a terrific ball-winner. He literally changes where the game is played on any given night.

Thanks for the input. That explains the wild inconsistency I normally see when I watch the Revs here and there. I've been trying to get into soccer but I can't grasp the strategies nor key players yet. I always seem to watch dreadful games too, so I was happy to see a great win last night. They really need their own stadium though.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Thanks for the input. That explains the wild inconsistency I normally see when I watch the Revs here and there. I've been trying to get into soccer but I can't grasp the strategies nor key players yet.
I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. Jermaine Jones is out of shape. But even an out of shape Jones can make a difference:

Yeah, the shot for a goal was a bit lucky. But the chance was made because Jones won a 50/50 ball in the midfield and then hit a 60-yard pass right on to the foot of Bunbury, who was matched against a smaller, slower player. If that pass is a little to the right, it goes out of bounds. If it's a little to the left or it hangs in the air a second longer, and Sinovic probably picks it off. He hit it exactly where it needed to be with the precise amount of power.

That sequence is why the Revs are paying Jermaine Jones $4.7 million.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Another example of why the Revs are paying Jermaine Jones all that money:

Suddenly, the Revs are just three points behind Kansas City for 2nd place in the East with a game in hand.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Look who were named Honorary Captains for the Revs in their playoff game...

B2CAuBQCEAAytD4.jpg

FWIW, Revs win 3-1, eliminating Columbus, and moving on the Eastern Conference Finals, where they'll face Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill, and the rest of the New York Red Bulls.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Revs win again, 2-1 over New York. Goals from Teal Bunbury (...an absolute stunner) and Jermaine Jones late in the 2nd half.

They'll take that one goal advantage into Saturday's game at Gillette, along with two big away goals. One game away from the MLS Cup Final.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Largely looked like crap that half, but still have the aggregate lead. This should be an intense 2nd half.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not a huge soccer guy, but what the **** is the deal with this guy Olave? He has gotten beat twice in this game, once by Jones and the other time by another Revs forward and he just flat out kicked them in the ankle/shin making no attempt at the ball. Now, he just stepped on Wynn's ankle when it looked like he could have easily avoided him.

So, what happens if it stays 2-1 NY?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad