Confirmed with Link: Official Schedule Thread (Released: Opener in Boston 1/19)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
On a serious note, they likely had a formula based on last year's standings. Div Champ plays 2nd and 3rd place 5 times, 2nd place plays the champ and 4th place 5 times, and so on.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If they go to 4 vs Division teams then it will be 3 vs. the rest of the conference with 2 of those teams 4 times. I wonder how they would figure that out.

If that happens it will probably be the Caps or Sens. Maybe Buffalo due to proximity.

We'll find out tomorrow, hopefully.

EDIT -forget that, same twitter guy said they went back to 4 and 5 vs div

Jan 8, 2012
NY
so then why not have the Pens and Flyers just play every saturday and sunday on NBC? Make them the 4-5 match-up in the play-offs, too.

Did I say that? No. I just said its a great rivalry. And considering that the NHL makes the least revenue of the big 4, an extra marketable NBC game only helps them.

Plus, the more these teams beat each other up, the easier the climb is for the Rangers.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Did I say that? No. I just said its a great rivalry. And considering that the NHL makes the least revenue of the big 4, an extra marketable NBC game only helps them.

Plus, the more these teams beat each other up, the easier the climb is for the Rangers.

Oh geez. So going to base the schedule off what will help NBC get better ratings?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Tell me this. Do you think that Pens-Flyers is a weaker rivalry than Flyers-Devils or Flyers-Isles?
no, but the Devils two main rivals are the Rangers and Flyers. Point is, you can't just base the extra game on the "rivalry". Besides, it is ONE game. Think about Montreal. Should they have the extra game against the Leafs and Bruins or Leafs and Sens and go with the Canada thing. Then, who do the Bruins play extra? Sabres?

Flyers and Pens will likely have at least 1 or 2 games on NBC. Should they play all 5 games on NBC?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
On a lighter note. Does anyone know what TIME we play the bruins on the 19th? Is it an afternoon game or a night game?

New York will open its season against the Bruins in Boston on Jan. 19, according to the Boston Globe.

“It will likely be a 7 p.m. start, although that could change,†the paper reported.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
no, but the Devils two main rivals are the Rangers and Flyers. Point is, you can't just base the extra game on the "rivalry". Besides, it is ONE game. Think about Montreal. Should they have the extra game against the Leafs and Bruins or Leafs and Sens and go with the Canada thing. Then, who do the Bruins play extra? Sabres?

Flyers and Pens will likely have at least 1 or 2 games on NBC. Should they play all 5 games on NBC?

I see no problem with an extra B's-Sabres game. Sabres got tougher in the offseason because they didn't want to be pushed around by Boston.

And Habs-Boston is the greatest traditional rivalry in the NHL. Yes. You do the extra game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad