*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Just like I've predicted since Gilbert took over. If you read my threads from the previous seasons you will see that I have made some bold predictions concerning this team under the direction of Greg Gilbert. Lots of the Spirit faithful do not want to believe what was said. Although I have been harsh at times with my criticisms I stand by what I've said. The Spirit need to distance themselves from Gilbert and Paliafito ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
As for actual hockey.....

Possible returnees:

Sadowy
Kea (OA)
Addison
Lodge
Moutrey
Clarke
Bennett
Alexeev
Payne (OA)
Stephens
Cairns (OA)
Graham (OA)
Prophet
De Sousa
Orban
Holmes
Callaghan (OA)
Ringuette (OA)
Paterson (OA)
Serebryakov

I like the core of that group that's coming back. Guys like Addison, Sadowy, Holmes, Orban, Clarke, Bennett, Stephens and De Sousa out performed the vets on this team this year. That was part of the reason this team didn't do as well as they should have. Your 19 year olds shouldn't be getting out hustled and out played by 16 and 17 year olds. That being said these hard working 16 and 17 year olds are now going to be the ones asked to carry the load next year and I'm ok with that. Also either one of or both of Alexeev and Serebryakov will be gone next year because picks in the import draft can't be traded anymore.

As for prospects in the system:

G-Boyd DiClemente (96, Whitby, OJHL): 28 GP, 19-7-0-2, 2.85 GAA, 0.902 SV%

G-David Ovsjannikov (97, signed), couldn't find stats on him.

D-Marcus Crawford (Signed) (97, Whitby, OJHL): 52 GP, 8 G, 13 A

D-TJ Melancon (96, Cobourg, OJHL): 51 GP, 2 G, 16 A

F-Jackson Bales (97, Oakville, OJHL): 8 GP, 1 G, 0 A

F-Christian Rajic (97, Oakville, OJHL): 4 GP, 0 G, 1 A

F-Kyle Connor (96, Youngstown, USHL): 45 GP, 23 G, 38 A (more for 2015-16 if he is a first round pick)

Taking all this into account this is my very very early roster projection:

Moutrey-Sadowy-Cairns
Lodge-Stephens-Payne
Clarke-Bennett-Addison
Import-Alexeev-1st round pick

Prophet-De Sousa
Orban-Callaghan
Crawford-Holmes

DiClemente
Ovsjannikov

Thoughts?

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012

Possible returnees:

Sadowy
Kea (OA)
Addison
Lodge
Moutrey
Clarke
Bennett
Alexeev
Payne (OA)
Stephens
Cairns (OA)
Graham (OA)
Prophet
De Sousa
Orban
Holmes
Callaghan (OA)
Ringuette (OA)
Paterson (OA)
Serebryakov

I like the core of that group that's coming back. Guys like Addison, Sadowy, Holmes, Orban, Clarke, Bennett, Stephens and De Sousa out performed the vets on this team this year. That was part of the reason this team didn't do as well as they should have. Your 19 year olds shouldn't be getting out hustled and out played by 16 and 17 year olds. That being said these hard working 16 and 17 year olds are now going to be the ones asked to carry the load next year and I'm ok with that. Also either one of or both of Alexeev and Serebryakov will be gone next year because picks in the import draft can't be traded anymore.

F-Kyle Connor (96, Youngstown, USHL): 45 GP, 23 G, 38 A (more for 2015-16 if he is a first round pick)

Moutrey-Sadowy-Cairns
Lodge-Stephens-Payne
Clarke-Bennett-Addison

Prophet-De Sousa
Orban-Callaghan
Crawford-Holmes

DiClemente
Ovsjannikov

Thoughts?

I think DiClemente is NCAA bound.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Nine guys on your list want out

Well so much for KP's list. It's definately a wish list just like it is every season.

Your right Clearwater there are at least 9 players if not more that want out of Saginaw. As far as trade bait... Hmmmmm... You might to want to rethink that one!

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
don't sleep on Rajic...100+ points in GTHL midget and is easily the most skilled option they have at centre after stephens....issue is size...

I thought Rajic looked really good at both the rookie scrimmage last season and the blue and white games. Will be interesting to see his development this season

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city

Possible returnees:

Sadowy
Kea (OA)
Addison
Lodge
Moutrey
Clarke
Bennett
Alexeev
Payne (OA)
Stephens
Cairns (OA)
Graham (OA)
Prophet
De Sousa
Orban
Holmes
Callaghan (OA)
Ringuette (OA)
Paterson (OA)
Serebryakov

Moutrey-Sadowy-Cairns
Lodge-Stephens-Payne
Clarke-Bennett-Addison

Prophet-De Sousa
Orban-Callaghan
Crawford-Holmes

DiClemente
Ovsjannikov

Thoughts?
I don't think either of the Russians will be back. Even though the team is young, they will bring experience. Most of the 96 born players have 2 years in the league. I could see Lodge traded and move Clarke with Stephens. The first pick will play 3 rd line with Bennett. May trade Addison ??
Would like to see a 4th line with some prospects to inject new blood.
No concerns on defensemen as this maybe the strongest position.
May look to trade possible OA for goaltender as this will be a big need !!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don't think either of the Russians will be back. Even though the team is young, they will bring experience. Most of the 96 born players have 2 years in the league. I could see Lodge traded and move Clarke with Stephens. The first pick will play 3 rd line with Bennett. May trade Addison ??
Would like to see a 4th line with some prospects to inject new blood.
No concerns on defensemen as this maybe the strongest position.
May look to trade possible OA for goaltender as this will be a big need !!

I'd like us to keep Addison. Liked what I saw from him the second half of this season and I've said before that next season is the one I'm expecting him to break out offensively. Plus him and Clarke seem to work well together, the question is though, who's gonna center them? From what I saw from Bennett in the playoffs, he should work just fine between the two of them. Keep that line together.

clearwater

Nov 16, 2011
Michigan
I'd like us to keep Addison. Liked what I saw from him the second half of this season and I've said before that next season is the one I'm expecting him to break out offensively. Plus him and Clarke seem to work well together, the question is though, who's gonna center them? From what I saw from Bennett in the playoffs, he should work just fine between the two of them. Keep that line together.

I am sure Gilbert will be disappointed if Kontos, Sefton and Cairns don't get a contract. He gave those three every opportunity to succeed and produce at the expense of developing others who they drafted.
The biggest problem with this team, they continually bring in older guys and give them all the opportunities and leadership roles that creates bad team karma. its better to get traded to Saginaw as a older player than get drafted by them.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
As expected, Jake Paterson has joined the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL, farm team of the Detroit Red Wings.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Tye Felhaber. I like it. Don't think Saginaw expected him at 10.

It's nice that Tye Felhaber was available at number 10 but if I'm Tye I would be very disappointed that I was selected by the Spirit and seriously consider other options. The Spirit place more value in other teams garbage than their own prospects.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Rosters for the OHL Gold Cup were announced today. Spirit prospects invited to participate were:

1st Round Pick: Tye Felhaber-Team HEO/ODHA
3rd Round Pick: Keaton Middleton-Team Alliance
8th Round Pick: Jacob Miller-Team OMHA Black
10th Round Pick: Joseph Murdaca- Team OMHA Black
11th Round Pick: Troy Williams- Team HNO
14th Round Pick: Matt Danner- Team GTHL Blue

Those where the players I could pick off of rosters. Sorry if I missed anyone!

OHL Gold Cup Runs May 7th to the 11th in Kitchener, ON

On the topic of rookies anyone know when rookie camp is this season? Had a good time going to the scrimmage last season.

clearwater

Nov 16, 2011
Michigan
The NHL CSS has released their final rankings for the 2014 draft.

www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712854

Among NA skaters:

Dylan Sadowy-33
Blake Clarke-134
Brandon Prophet-174
Daniel De Sousa-204

Sadowy finally getting some love. The rest, not so much.

No surprise again, one player given all the opportunities while others sit and watch. It's a shame, the Clark kid is the most skilled of the 4, given the opportunity he would have shined. Most teams give all their draft eligible kids lots of opportunities and exposure to get noticed, Saginaw still doesn't get it and that's why kids don't want to come here. Develop all your young kids, give them the opportunities and exposure to get drafted and will help with recruiting

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No surprise again, one player given all the opportunities while others sit and watch. It's a shame, the Clark kid is the most skilled of the 4, given the opportunity he would have shined. Most teams give all their draft eligible kids lots of opportunities and exposure to get noticed, Saginaw still doesn't get it and that's why kids don't want to come here. Develop all your young kids, give them the opportunities and exposure to get drafted and will help with recruiting

Sadowy has earned the opportunity he gets. Worked his way up the lines. Would love to see him get the C next year.

As for the rest:

Prophet- his outlet pass is really bad. He panics sometimes when trying to get the puck out, but I still like his overall game. Needs to use his size more.

Clarke- he has the tools. It just looks like he's running at 75% most of the time. Don't think I've seen him go hard too often. Starting making really bad passes in the second half. Also he seems to be a bit injury prone. I think he just needs to get back to a simplified game, play smart, and work hard. He'll be fine.

De Sousa- Good puck mover and skater. Sometimes gets a bit too aggressive and gets caught out of position. Like the upside in his game though. Him and Prophet will be fine next year. I think a lot of his ranking has to do with his size. If you're a small D-man, you better be putting up stellar numbers to really get noticed. If he was four inches taller, people would notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad