*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

the whalers just went from an average team to a contender, 2 top line forwards. added to the already Cucuruto and one of, if not, the best goalie in the league

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The season's prospects certainly do get more interesting with these late additions. The defense should be solid, with only Malysa gone from last year's team and Ned still in net. The youngsters from last season will be a year older, hopefully Bitten will be able to contribute as a rookie, and if Milano is as good as advertised the team will hopefully not struggle as much to score goals as last season. The coaching is still a wildcard, though. We knew what to expect with Vellucci behind the bench, but it's a new regime this year.

Whaler89

Jul 13, 2014
Hartman will be gone to the AHL for sure. And no, Yetman and Scogs should be safe. I'd bet that likely Addesi and Hiddink wouldn't be back. Hiddink seems to be a flop and has been a healthy scratch.

I think there is going to be some pretty good competition to dress every night between Dunda, Scogs, Sills, Caamaano, Yetman and King.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Does this mean Hartman is getting the promotion to the ahl? Or a boarder line guy like yetman or scogs getting the cut or traded?

Hartman is AHL eligible this year, so he's gone. First round draft picks almost always leave the CHL as soon as they are able (can't remember the last one drafted out of the CHL who came back). And as Whaler89 said, Yetman and Scognamigilo should be back. I agree with him, too, that Hiddink and Addesi are probably gone (I think I speculated that in the original post in this thread). Neither showed much after being acquired last year and ended up not playing late in the season, plus there are too many better young players that need ice time.

Whaler89

Jul 13, 2014
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very excited that they decided to open up jersey numbers past 40. Check out their Facebook page for the announcement. Milano will wear 82, Campagna 90, Bitten 41.

Does anyone know why we limited numbers?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very excited that they decided to open up jersey numbers past 40. Check out their Facebook page for the announcement. Milano will wear 82, Campagna 90, Bitten 41.

I never even noticed until you pointed it out. :)

So, with Milano committing to the team, that now makes five straight NHL Drafts with a first round pick that suits up with the Whalers.

2014: Sonny Milano
2013: Ryan Hartman
2012: Tom Wilson
2011: Stefan Noesen, Rickard Rakell, J.T. Miller
2010: Tyler Seguin

Does anyone know how common such a streak is amongst CHL teams?

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
I believe it was a Vellucci thing when it came to the low numbers. He didn't like players wearing the high numbers. I don't mind the high numbers but some teams over-do it when half the roster is wearing them. Should just be reserved for exceptional players IMHO. I believe Nic Beaudoin was the last player to wear a high number for the Whalers. Here is my game worn Nic Beaudoin Jr. Wings jersey:
4392852746_a19ed9ba8b.jpg

4392852728_f7e3d14683.jpg

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

The idea is you play for the crest on the front, not the name and number on the back.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Impressions from today's preseason game:

• Sonny Milano is the real deal. He's a terrific skater and puck handler, and seems to know where his linemates are at all times. He's going to be fun to watch this season.
  • Matt Mistele looked better than in any game last season, when he was the invisible man. More than just lighting up the stats sheet, he seemed to take charge and skate aggressively with the puck whenever he was on the ice. Hopefully this is a sign that he will return to the form of the the 2012-13 season.
  • Matt Henderson was the other player who really impressed me. He looks like a more mature and confident player than the rookie we watched last year.
  • Alex Peters was wearing the captain's "C". I guessed wrong when I thought it would be Vanderweil.
  • Windsor seemed much more interested in flapping their jaws between whistles and gooning it up than in playing hockey. I know it's only preseason, but the Spits looked absolutely awful.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Impressions from today's preseason game:

• Sonny Milano is the real deal. He's a terrific skater and puck handler, and seems to know where his linemates are at all times. He's going to be fun to watch this season.
  • Matt Mistele looked better than in any game last season, when he was the invisible man. More than just lighting up the stats sheet, he seemed to take charge and skate aggressively with the puck whenever he was on the ice. Hopefully this is a sign that he will return to the form of the the 2012-13 season.
  • Matt Henderson was the other player who really impressed me. He looks like a more mature and confident player than the rookie we watched last year.
  • Alex Peters was wearing the captain's "C". I guessed wrong when I thought it would be Vanderweil.
  • Windsor seemed much more interested in flapping their jaws between whistles and gooning it up than in playing hockey. I know it's only preseason, but the Spits looked absolutely awful.

looked aweful eh??? Prob. bc the Spits were 99% rookies next to Whalers 90% veterens.

good education for our rookies to see the league is no pushover no matter how talented they thought they were.

see ya thurs............:rant:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
looked aweful eh??? Prob. bc the Spits were 99% rookies next to Whalers 90% veterens.

good education for our rookies to see the league is no pushover no matter how talented they thought they were.

I didn't recognize many of the Spits players on the lineup card. They did play awful, though. The youngsters would be better served by keeping their mouths shut and concentrating on playing hockey.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Whalers dressed 3 rookies for this game,only 2 had never played a game before while Windsor dressed 13 rookies with 11 players who never played an OHL game before including 2 goalies with 1 OHL game exp between the 2 of them

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I didn't recognize many of the Spits players on the lineup card. They did play awful, though. The youngsters would be better served by keeping their mouths shut and concentrating on playing hockey.

Should be a dandy on thurs even though exhib. this time Digiacinto, Stanley and Mainella will be waiting.

Hope Sills is up for it.:yo::handclap::laugh:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Digiacinto

Should be a dandy on thurs even though exhib. this time Digiacinto, Stanley and Mainella will be waiting.

Hope Sills is up for it.:yo::handclap::laugh:

I doubt Digiacinto dresses Thursday as he and Sanvido are headed out to rookie tournaments this coming weekends

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Diagiacinto

[QUTE=Duke Guy;89277775]Tampa Bay prospects are not expected to arrive until September 11th.[/QUOTE]

Digiacinto told me at the rink that it he was to go to Nashville next week for his Tampa Bay team

OttawaHockeyFan

Jan 8, 2014
Wondering how Bitten has looked at camp this fall. He was unbelievable in MM last season and I'm guessing his speed and hockey sense will quickly endear him to the coaching staff and the fans. My guess is he's a star in the not to distant future.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
hockeylegend11: You don't mean Digiacinto was pulling your leg do you? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad