*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
While 2013-2014 was a poor season by Plymouth standards, the team does have a brighter outlook for 2014-2015. There is a lot of youth returning, and the team does not lose many veterans. Here is a quick summary of what the team looks like as of now for next year:

Definitely gone ('93's)
Malysa (D)
Lorentz (C)
Sandlak (LW)

Probably gone ('94's)
Hartman (RW)
Curcuruto (D)

Definitely back (barring trades)
Nedeljkovic (G)
Bowman (G)
Vilardi (C)
Mercer (C)
Vanderweil (LW)
Mistele (LW)
Dunda (LW)
Chatham (RW)
Sills (RW)
Scagnamiglio (RW)
Yetman (RW)
Peters (D)
Jones (D)
Wesley (D)
Henderson (D)
Sensky (D)
DiCarlo (D)

Likely OA's on current roster
None

Possible returning imports
Crus Rydberg (C)
Yathgeb (D)

Eligible, but unlikely, to return
Hiddink (RW)
Addesi (LW)

Vellucci has some holes to fill. All three OA spots will be open, and it remains to be seen whether either of the two current imports will return. I believe Crus Rydberg is eligible for the AHL, as he did not sign with Plymouth until after the NHL Draft. Last year's first round pick, Jordan Greenway, has signed a letter of intent to play in the NCAA, so he is unlikely to be here unless the team can change his mind. Some other players from last year's draft that are still unsigned could fill some holes, though, as well as selections from next week's draft.

Danny Vanderweil is the most likely candidate to be next year's captain.

Last edited:

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Excellent start to the thread!

I see things nearly the same, but with a few minor differences.

Hartman will be gone and Curcuruto I am not so sure. Without looking at the Blue Jackets defensive prospects, it is tough to say if they keep him or let him play his final year. Then again, they may keep him only to return him after our season starts ala Devane or Heard. For Curcuruto' part, I wish him to further his career and play in the AHL.

I have to think that our Import Draft will have significance. I believe that we will be looking for the best available player and that this player takes a roster spot. If VCR goes AHL, then it will be his spot. If not, then it will be the best puck cougher upper whose spot is taken.

We have 6 North American D-men that, barring trades, will be back. This nearly makes Rathgeb expendable, which probably is not a bad thing. We should be able to secure a 7th D-man without much fuss.

One thing that should be taken into to account is our OA situation for 2015-2016 season. By my count, we would have 6 eligible OA'ers for that season. I know that is looking a ways into the future, but keeping that in mind, it makes things a little easier if you have ideas where each of these players projected paths are during this coming season.

On the Jordan Greenway topic. I believe that he goes to Boston College and gets drafted by the NHL in the 2015 draft and that he ends up in Plymouth for the 2015-2016 season. This is a prospect that I am sure will end up in the NHL. Knowing that NHL teams like Major Jr. schedules over NCAA schedules....Well, you know where I was going with that.

As far as the OA situation goes, I am not sure if you don't worry about it for next year and play with none (provided Curcuruto is AHL) or try to acquire an OA'er or two. I guess it depends who is out there and what it cost to get them. I like what we have right now for talent, so I am of the opinion that unless you can get a top notch player, forget about it and roll with what we got.

As far as selecting a Captain, I think that Vanderweil or Mistele will get the spot.

The Priority draft is just days away, April 5th to be exact, and lets see who we select and critique how we think we did and what these picks bring to the table. Being eliminated early is just more time to solidify our roster and look at what is available to do that.

On a different subject all together...Guelph has got London in the 2nd round and this should be a beauty of a series. My prediction is that whichever team wins this series will be the Western Conference Champs. Or the winner could be used up by then.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Won't Jordan Greenway play with the U18s next year? I feel that he is most likely headed the college route but being a high first round pick, a NHL team could have an influence on deciding his path. You would think that the Whales drafting Greenway in the first round that they had some confidence in getting him over to the OHL.

Also the other USA player that is Whaler property is Sonny Milano of the U18s. I believe he is now committed to Notre Dame but again an NHL team drafting him may have some advice on where they want him to play.

Getting these high quality USA born players over is what can make or break the Whales. In the past they have been able to have several come over, Miller, Noesen Hartman, Carrick.

hockeyniagara

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto (usually)
Does it matter?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what happens if the rumors about the Whalers (and Compuware and CSA) being sold and moving elsewhere are true. Is there a deadline for that to be approved at the league level?

As for the team make-up next year, Hartman is AHL eligible and is clearly ready to play there, at least at a talent on the ice level. Cucuaruto as well I believe. From the list above in the earlier post the team looks to have a great core - as long as some players produce and mature. Having Ned is net is a huge asset for sure. Overall I'd like to see them get bigger and much more physical, particularly in the offensive zone.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Does anyone have any thoughts on what happens if the rumors about the Whalers (and Compuware and CSA) being sold and moving elsewhere are true. Is there a deadline for that to be approved at the league level?

As for the team make-up next year, Hartman is AHL eligible and is clearly ready to play there, at least at a talent on the ice level. Cucuaruto as well I believe. From the list above in the earlier post the team looks to have a great core - as long as some players produce and mature. Having Ned is net is a huge asset for sure. Overall I'd like to see them get bigger and much more physical, particularly in the offensive zone.

That rumor is just that. Unless there is only one person in the arena that knows we are moving, it would seem that this is just another story in a line of stories over the past 10 years that we are doomed and will be moving. I don't know where anybody could ever think that we would move to Flint. A depressed area that just doesn't support hockey like they once did. None of the fans want to hear this stuff. I have had some conversations with employees of the organization and I like what I hear about what they have planned. They can only do so much though. As fans, we must take some action and spread the word in effort to bring in more customers. The best way to advertise is word of mouth. I have turned several people onto what is the best affordable hockey that is played in our own backyard.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That rumor is just that. Unless there is only one person in the arena that knows we are moving, it would seem that this is just another story in a line of stories over the past 10 years that we are doomed and will be moving. I don't know where anybody could ever think that we would move to Flint. A depressed area that just doesn't support hockey like they once did. None of the fans want to hear this stuff. I have had some conversations with employees of the organization and I like what I hear about what they have planned. They can only do so much though. As fans, we must take some action and spread the word in effort to bring in more customers. The best way to advertise is word of mouth. I have turned several people onto what is the best affordable hockey that is played in our own backyard.

I try to do this, as well. We will turn in our unused tickets for additional tickets to invite friends or family with us for some free hockey. Over the past three seasons, I think we have ended up using all but one ticket, and this year we used more than our allotment by borrowing unused tickets from people who sit near us. There is only so much we as fans can do, though. It would be nice if the team could generate at least a little media exposure in the area, but that has not happened.

I doubt the team is moving this offseason for the reasons you stated, but with Karmanos entering the retirement phase of his life, you never know where things will go regarding team ownership in the future. He may want to spend more time with his sports holdings, or he may want to divest himself of some of them.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I would love to see Scags and Dunda add some offense to their game. Those two big bodies would work well in front during the power play on a regular basis. Pretty excited to see how everyone progresses during the offseason

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
I would love to see Scags and Dunda add some offense to their game. Those two big bodies would work well in front during the power play on a regular basis. Pretty excited to see how everyone progresses during the offseason
This is sure to happen. I think many will be surprised by what that these 2 bring next year. Not just these 2, but the whole team will be better. I share in your enthusiasm and excitement.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This is sure to happen. I think many will be surprised by what that these 2 bring next year. Not just these 2, but the whole team will be better. I share in your enthusiasm and excitement.

I thought Scagnamiglio showed some nice development late in this season. Vellucci gave him some time on the power play -- probably with instructions to park himself in front of the net -- and he did exactly that. It was something the team sorely lacked up to that point. I am going to be interested to watch him continue to progress next season.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
the Whalers go with the younger brother of the first round pick of last year in the fifth round this year maybe a ploy to try to get him here.

I just got home and was looking at the picks so far, and wondered if the two were related. It certainly cannot hurt in the recruitment of Jordan Greenway. :handclap:

So, what do the experts think of our picks so far? The 1st round pick, William Bitten, is certainly on the small side at 5'9" and 146 lbs.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I see the Whalers drafted Jamie Devane's younger brother, Brendan, in the 13th round. He's a 6'3" defenseman, so he is big like his brother.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Saw you guys drafted Jacob Collins in the 5th. I've always followed the whalers given their connection to the hurricanes but now you'll have a guy from my hometown in your system. Hope to see him suit up for the whalers one day.

Last edited:

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
When you hear that we selected a 5'9" 146lb forward, you hope he can skate like a fighter jet because he probably isn't going to win many physical battles. My bet is that he isn't 146lbs on opening night, should he be on the squad.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
When you hear that we selected a 5'9" 146lb forward, you hope he can skate like a fighter jet because he probably isn't going to win many physical battles. My bet is that he isn't 146lbs on opening night, should he be on the squad.

He should put on some weight and be able to make an offensive impact right away next season. Very dynamic player.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Vincent Trocheck was only slightly taller and was a terrific player, so if Bitten is as talented as what I've been reading in some of the scouting reports his height should not keep him from contributing. It is different, though, seeing Plymouth with so many smaller players. Some years the roster would only have a couple of players under 6', but l count nine players on this season's playoff roster that small.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Vincent Trocheck was only slightly taller and was a terrific player, so if Bitten is as talented as what I've been reading in some of the scouting reports his height should not keep him from contributing. It is different, though, seeing Plymouth with so many smaller players. Some years the roster would only have a couple of players under 6', but l count nine players on this season's playoff roster that small.

How are you going to throw out Trocheck as an example? You didn't even draft him. You rented him for half a season. I'm sure there are examples of Whalers that you've drafted that are similar to your first round pick this year. The smaller guy usually have skill to make up for it. I'm sure he'll be a fine player.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
How are you going to throw out Trocheck as an example? You didn't even draft him. You rented him for half a season. I'm sure there are examples of Whalers that you've drafted that are similar to your first round pick this year. The smaller guy usually have skill to make up for it. I'm sure he'll be a fine player.

No need to get snarky. He was just the first smaller player that popped into mind. Regardless of who drafted him, Trocheck was a good example.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
What are the chances that the whalers deal Hartman if he is back with the team this next season? I would like to seem him moved as his attitude is piss poor most games. Not sure what might be a return for him but I'm sure they could get something good

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
What are the chances that the whalers deal Hartman if he is back with the team this next season? I would like to seem him moved as his attitude is piss poor most games. Not sure what might be a return for him but I'm sure they could get something good

I doubt that Hartman will be back. He is AHL-eligible, and unless his attitude problem persists, he will be playing for Chicago's affiliate next season.

If for some reason he does get sent down, I doubt the Whalers deal him. If Vellucci wouldn't do it last season, he will not next season.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He really deserved that award. He faced more shots night in and night out than some goalies in our league woudn't face in two games. Glad to see him get some recognition for his truly unreal effort this year.

While I thought Alex was very deserving, too, I really doubted he would win the award because of the poor team in front of him. I am glad to see that did not affect the voters.

Wouldn't it be great to see Ned repeat in winning the award again next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad