Pre-Game Talk: Official Playoffs Discussion Thread. Who do you want in the 1st round? Poll Included

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
If we take first place in our division, we might be facing the surging Boston.

Or if we lose the first place in our division, we might be facing Detroit, who we match up pretty well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If we take first place in our division, we might be facing the surging Boston.

Or if we lose the first place in our division, we might be facing Detroit, who we match up pretty well.

Habs have had success against both teams this year, but Detroit scares me more because they are more skilled, and I believe their special teams can do more damage.

With Boston, I think the habs can wear them down with skating over the course of the series. Boston is big, but the teams that give Montreal more trouble are the ones that can skate.

I don't think the bruins have done enough this year to improve on that front.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
I'd like to face Detroit, it would be fast paced and fun, even tho harder to win imo.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
All fun and great to think thta we will always beat Boston till the world explodes...but at one point it won't be true. And Boston now play so much better and have some kind of help offensively with Pastrnak, and Krejci will come back.....I want Detroit.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
All fun and great to think thta we will always beat Boston till the world explodes...but at one point it won't be true. And Boston now play so much better and have some kind of help offensively with Pastrnak, and Krejci will come back.....I want Detroit.

Remember the last time the bruins played the habs? They were within striking distance of Montreal and in red hot form. Then they lost to to the habs on home ice, and went through a cold stretch.

You can just as easy make an argument that the team is what it has shown all year (an inconsistent mixed bag type of team).

Neither team will be easy though, we're really picking at the margins here. That's the story of the entire eastern playoff picture, really.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Boston for sure.

tumblr_nl0pbheovT1shr61qo1_1280.jpg

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I honestly don't care who we play. I think every series in the East is going to be hard to predict and close. There isn't very much separating the playoff teams in the conference.

I just want the Habs to be playing good at the right time.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Boston for sure. Detroit scares me, they can compete with a lot of teams and know how to play a smart effective game. Their depth up front would be hard to contain.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Voted Detroit because it's been so long since we faced them in the play-offs. We'll probably get Boston in round 2, if we make it of course.

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Sponsor
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
Boston

Montreal owns them.. 25-9 all time playoff history. Boston is our *****es and always will be.

The only reason I hate playing Boston is the constant diving and crying post game and with the referees.. It's an absolute gongshow with that franchise.

Note the video name, PART 3.. That says it all.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I'd rather face Boston... We have their number.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg would completely shut down our forwards. Their fast youngsters would exploit our defensive system. Their biggest question mark is goaltending, but Rask becomes an AHLer when he faces Montreal so...

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Detroit because if we lose to them I won't be super salty, also I wouldn't mind the Howard vs Price matchup.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Either one honestly.

Yup, same. The minute you start hoping for a certain opponent is the lead up to losing to them. You just play your best and take whoever is in front of you.

That being said, I think they'll be playing Washington anyway.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
The Ideal playoff match up would be

First Round:
Tampa vs. Boston
Montreal vs. Washington/Detroit

Second Round:
Montreal vs. Boston

This is because Boston has Tampa's # and we have Boston's #. If we get past round one against either Washington or Detroit, then we will likely play Boston for a round two rematch rather than Tampa. I believe Boston has won the last 9 or so games against Tampa (not sure if that's at home record or both).

TimGolbert

Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Yup, same. The minute you start hoping for a certain opponent is the lead up to losing to them. You just play your best and take whoever is in front of you.

That being said, I think they'll be playing Washington anyway.

I don't think it's possible for us to play Washington in the first round. As far as I know, the only way there would be a crossover matchup between divisions in the first round, is if both wild card teams come from the same division.
In that case, the bottom WC team would get the top team overall. If each division has four playoff teams, it's 1 vs 4, and 2 vs 3 in each division, regardless of point totals.
So for us to face Washington, the Flyers would have to overtake Boston.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works anyways.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
either one. sick of playing boston in the playoffs although im more confident we call beat boston than detroit

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I don't think it's possible for us to play Washington in the first round. As far as I know, the only way there would be a crossover matchup between divisions in the first round, is if both wild card teams come from the same division.

If we win the division and the other division winner has more pts than us, we will play the first wild card team which is Washington at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad